Author Topic: Pizza Bella oven  (Read 41777 times)

Offline Mahoney

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Bella oven
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2005, 09:33:07 PM »
Hi all - great forum

pftaylor - the Tec sounds interesting.  I'm just trying to picture how you are using the quarry tiles.  Do you put a pizza stone on the main grill, put some vertically on two sides, and some tiles on the elevated grill?

http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/image/products/big-pics/11094.jpg

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2005, 03:50:01 PM »
Steve's model is: $143.55 + 10$ shipping to my house.

Wow.... and Steve paid $75 for it... boy we get taken for a ride up here.

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2005, 03:57:18 PM »
Steve,

are you still using your Pizza Bella machine that you have pics of in this thread ? .... or have you switched back to using
your regular oven ?  Just curious.

Mark

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2005, 06:17:57 PM »
I switched back to my regular oven for several reasons.

1. The Pizza Bella can only cook a 12" pie.

2. The Pizza Bella gets waaaay too hot. The stone, which should be relatively cool compared to the air above the pizza, is heated from below which results in it super-heating. Let me tell you... an 800 degree stone scorches the bottom of a pizza!  :o The first two pizzas are always burnt to a crisp in the Pizza Bella... by the time I do a third, the stone has cooled suffiently.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2005, 06:29:37 PM »
oh wow, that's kind of sad... the thing looked good, nice pictures of it anyway... I guess we all learn from others mistakes,
and money spent  :-\

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2005, 07:32:31 AM »
After some reading about pizza ovens I was wondering if using a low protein flour like WhiteLily might make this little pizza oven work.  Use a recipe without fat and sugar.  the whitelily should be close to 00 flour I would think.  If the pizza comes out to light then do a mixture of flours.

Just a thought.

Randy

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2005, 08:45:49 AM »
Hi Steve, well I also have a Pizza Bella oven and its the best thing since pizza by the slice! I used to try and fiddle with my oven..never being able to get the stone hot enough or the surrounding temp hot enough to bake a perfect pie. After seeing your pics I realized this is what I should purchase. I agree with you that it only cooks a 12" pie and temp is really hot BUT... after using it a while my pies were coming out excellent!!!!  Next decided to try pizza party at band practice..(play keyboards as well)... I made 6 doughs...Muir Glen tomatoes, cheese etc... set the thing up at my friends house and cranked out 6 of the best pies...the guys were amazed. One guitar player is a CIA chef and could'nt believe I made them! A true compliment for a master chef. The pies were light, crispy, with some charring, and tasted amazing! Needless to say guys wanted to know where to get one.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2005, 12:38:21 AM »
A few weeks ago I ran across this old post about the Pizza Bella oven.  When Steve mentioned that the unit actually got too hot (800 degrees) I thought that I would give it a try for my Neapolitan pizzas where I actually prefer that extra high temperature.  I found a used one on ebay for $16 and figured that I might as well try it. 

I just wanted to write this post because I had a totally different experience than I expected, and I might have figured out why some people seem to love it, and some seem to hate it.  The version I picked up was the deep dish model.  This version has an extra insert for deep dish, but also has the standard stone, and that is what I used.   I have found that with the unit on max, and preheating for 10 minutes or even up to an hour the temperature never got above 550.  This was not high enough for my Neapolitan pies, but worked perfectly with my New York style pies.  I can recommend it to anyone who wants an inexpensive alternative to cranking up the oven for New York Style pizza. 

My guess is that the deep dish version has more space between the bottom heating element and the stone, and that keeps the temp to a even and manageable 550.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 10:31:56 AM by scott r »

Offline Henrik

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Bella oven compared to Ferrari G3
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2005, 08:08:37 AM »
I have an Italian oven called Pizza Express made to the same concept as the Pizza Bella, but from G3 Ferrari: http://www.g3Ferrari.com/en/

I find that the major problems are:

1) Lack of height in the oven between stone and heating element, and
2) the diameter of the heating element is too small.

If a pizza is larger than the circular heating element in the lid or above about 8", it easily touch the heating element and crust or toppings burn to carbon in seconds.

Also, the outer rim of the pizza does not bake enough, when the pizza is made larger than the heating element.

However, if the pie is small enough, it makes a good result when the tweaking of the thermostat is right. The instruction tells you only to bake the pizza during the time the heating is on, so it means in my experience, keep the thermostat around mark 1 to 2, and crank it up to 2 to 3, 30 sec. before the pizza is loaded onto the stone.

I will measure the distance between the heating element and the base when home later today, and it would be interesting to have some measures of "The Bella".

The major advantage of the oven is that it is quite quick to heat, and will take the first pie after 10-15 minutes heating up.

Thanks,
Henrik

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2005, 10:27:45 AM »
Henrik, It sounds like there might be a little more space in the Pizza Bella, although from looking at your picture they appear to be REALLY similar.  I have not had a pie touch the element, and the heat up top seems pretty uniform.  I do tend to make fairly thin pies, though.   It is certainly not the perfect pizza cooking device, and you do have to play some games to get it to work right.  I still prefer my oven, but this is a great alternative since they are now so cheap on ebay.   I look at it more as the perfect tool to have if you are going camping in a motorhome, want to keep utility costs down, or are worried about heating up your kitchen too much in the middle of summer.  I am a big proponent of having home cooked pizza all year!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 10:35:05 AM by scott r »

Offline Henrik

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Bella oven: G3 measurements
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2005, 11:43:10 AM »
Hi Scott and others!

Measurements of the G3 Ferrari are:

Stone diameter: 12"
Heating element diameter: 7"
Distance from stone to heating element, lid closed: 1"

Henrik

Offline Help Needed

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2005, 08:40:05 PM »
Sorry to interupt but I am looking for a Pizza Bella oven to purchase and cannot find one. I saw one person mention Wal-Mart but when I searched their site it did not list one.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy one. If you had a phone number that I could phone the business that would be all the more helpful.

Any info would be greatly appreciated?

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2005, 10:59:33 AM »
Sorry to interupt but I am looking for a Pizza Bella oven to purchase and cannot find one. I saw one person mention Wal-Mart but when I searched their site it did not list one.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy one. If you had a phone number that I could phone the business that would be all the more helpful.

Any info would be greatly appreciated?

Click Here
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2005, 04:06:16 AM »
My long time enthusiasm for pizza making was reignited this year when I was given a very similar 'Pizza Chef'http://www.thepizzachef.com.au/ italian made oven last Christmas. I was really surprised how well it worked. It wasn't until I embarked on a more hard level of pizza making after buy Dominick D.'s book and finding this site and the Lehmann recipe, that I outgrew it's capabilities. The biggest single limitation I found was the very poor and course temp adjustment, which has no actual temperate graduations, only 3 numbered settings. This and the size/room constraint combined with the overly close upper element, eventually saw me move up to an Equipex stone equipped countertop unit mid year. I haven't looked back since that time. I still credit the pizza chef oven with inspiring me to take my pizzas to the next level. Plus, it's hard to argue with what it does for the price. :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 04:08:09 AM by OzPizza »
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

Offline Help Needed

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2005, 07:39:45 PM »
Re Post #53. (nytxn)

I was able to locate what I needed at Universal Kitchen.

Thanks much for your help.

Click Here

Offline rxrfrx

• pizza FTW
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2006, 08:29:24 AM »
I just made a new topic about modifying the temperature control on this unit.  See it here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2334.0.html

Offline Lars

• Greetings from Venice.
    • Lars in Venice
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2007, 08:03:14 PM »
This appears to have been replaced with the Deni 2300 Pizza Oven.  Do you know if they function the same?

pizzapan