Author Topic: What to put on your peel !  (Read 2016 times)

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
What to put on your peel !
« on: February 24, 2006, 10:55:33 AM »
Here's a question for you guys. What do you use on your peel, flour, cornmeal or salt ?

I say it HAS to be flour for that true NY taste. It realy is an important part of the "whole pie taste" ! :chef:

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
Re: What to put on your peel !
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 11:10:45 AM »
I used to use flour but then I had a run of pies that had a floury taste to the crust.  I switched to cornmeal and have not gone back.  I also use a trick that pete-zza recommends - run a piece of dental floss under the pie right before sliding it into the oven.  It helps it go off a lot smoother.

Nice peel!

Offline chiguy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 11:16:43 AM »
 Hi Jerrymac,
 I really like the peel, one of you're own creations?? You are correct in the fact that most pizzeria's are using flour, the corn meal is just to messy on the oven. Although, I personally use cornmeal or a finer semolina as my releasing agent. What can i say i like the texture and ease of the release with corn meal.  Chiguy

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 11:24:57 AM »
Yea, my own creation  ::) aren't I talented  :-D

Jerry

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 11:26:11 AM »
I use equal parts cornmeal, bread flour and semolina.  I make a good size batch and keep it in the cooler.  I generously coat the whole dough ball and board with this before shaping then dust the peel.

Randy

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 12:34:02 PM »
I use a SuperPeel, so technically, I use nothing.  In reality, it's a very light dusting of flour.  Works great.

I've also used semolina flour which is pretty good.

The key to me is using as little as possible.  Too much of anything piles up on the stone and impedes contact between the stone and the dough.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 11:33:41 PM »
Like Randy I use a mix of KASL flour, semolina and just a little corn meal. However the mixture I use has probably only 15% corn meal.