Author Topic: Fox News Top 10 Pizza joints  (Read 2829 times)

Offline bbqchuck

Fox News Top 10 Pizza joints
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »
Today's webpage has an article identifying their top 10 picks.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/09/05/top-10-pizza-restaurants-in-us/

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Fox News Top 10 Pizza joints
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »
Today's webpage has an article identifying their top 10 picks.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/09/05/top-10-pizza-restaurants-in-us/

Iv'e eaten at 10% of them.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, even Fox News. But like any list of this type, it's incomplete and a little odd.  Stella in Santa Monica, CA is #1. It's very good but certainly not ready to be proclaimed the #1 pizza restaurant in the US, especially with Pizzeria Bianco trailing at #4. Regina in Boston somehow made the list. It's good but certainly not top 10 material (to be fair, it's been a couple of years since I've had a pizza there, but I assume not much has changed.  There's not a single New Haven joint on the list.  I could go on but you get the idea.

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
Any article of this type should include a caveat along the lines of Top 10 Pizza Joints That We Know Of.
The only organization that could possibly know everything about every pizza joint is the NSA.  ;D

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
NSA  ;D :-D

A top restaurant list is only as good as the 'Joe-bag-o-donuts' that wrote it.  ^^^  That's a given.  It's just a list someone can use to go check out for themselves or maybe someone can take some pride that the place they are a regular at got some recognition.   Good stuff either way. 

Offline FocusHearth

• Neapolitan, or not
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 08:03:09 AM »
Well any top 10 list is going to be flawed and limited by the writer.  Glad to see Keste and Bianco on there.  Pizzaria Regina should not be on anyone's list.  Even if you're into that style, there's a dozen better.  The list is fairly commercial and shallow, I've been to most of them.  No mention of Una Pizzeria, Volturno, or a dozen other places in NYC, San Fran, CT, NJ that are better than half the places on their list.

I do commend them for finding one regional place all over the country, doing something note worthy (well maybe excepting Regina).

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »
I'll be in Seattle and I'm going to see if I can find a good pie one night.  Maybe I'll give Serious Pie a shot.  If not, it's the hotel bar.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »
Interesting list indeed... I've been to 5 of them, and you're right.. I'm surprised Regina's make that list.  It does look like they tend favor wood/coal fired places, as there's not a huge amount of variety in terms of pizza styles (no deep dish?  no roman style?) 

Looks like I have a few places to add to try though... Stella Barre, and Two Amy's in particular...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »
These lists have nothing to do with finding great pizza. They are a cheap way to fill space in the 24 hour news cycle. Why do we keep posing this nonsense here?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »
Why do we keep posing this nonsense here?
Craig,

I sometimes think that members post such lists as examples of how the lists often don't make a lot of sense. We are pretty much guaranteed that we will always find entries with which we disagree and find examples that should have been included but weren't. And, as you noted, lists are cheap and easy ways to fill space. And they are usually designed to connect with advertising. Huffington Post is famous for doing this. They know that people love lists.

Peter

Offline derricktung

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
These lists have nothing to do with finding great pizza. They are a cheap way to fill space in the 24 hour news cycle. Why do we keep posing this nonsense here?

I don't know, Craig... I think the lists have some truths to them, but it's all the eye of the beholder(s).  As we've clearly demonstrated via these forums, taste and quality can be very preferential.  While whoever created this list may not be the most informed, there's a few spots that definitely are pretty high quality pizzas (Coalfire, Antico, Bianco, Keste) that are deserving of recognition.

Top 10?  Maybe not for us... but it's likely top 10 to someone with whatever their realm of experience is.

After all, not all of us are blessed with the chance to try TXCraig's Neapolitan pies...  ;D

Ultimately, I take the lists as more places to check out.. an adventure, if you will, to confirm or debunk the quality of such great pizzas, but an enjoyable adventure most of the times.  I likely would have never heard of Stella Barra or Serious Pie if it wasn't for this forum and this list...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:04:26 PM by derricktung »

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 03:20:14 PM »

Not having tried any of these, I posted this to stir the conversation.   From just what little response so far, I've picked up a few tips.  I haven't had the pleasure of going to all the great pizzarias in the country ... yet ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
I haven't had the pleasure of going to all the great pizzarias in the country ... yet ;D

And you can't rely on these lists to point you in the right direction - that's exactly my point. They are a waste of time.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
Craig
They spark discussions,  and discussions produce good information.  That, in itself,  is worthwhile.  :)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 09:07:10 AM »
Craig
They spark discussions,  and discussions produce good information.  That, in itself,  is worthwhile.  :)

I suppose it's possible, however I don't remember any top whatever lists in the past couple years sparking any interesting discussions or producing anything worthwhile. If you come to Houston and try Dolce Vita, you will stop reading these lists. Or, maybe you are visiting Washington DC with your family and you wanted to get some great pizza, how about that - one of the top-10 pizzerias in the country is right there. Problem is it's not that great, and there is a great place, Pupatella, right across the Potomac.

Posting these lists really isn't any different than posting some random pizza recipe you saw on the internet. Would you do that?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 09:16:58 AM »
there's a few spots that definitely are pretty high quality pizzas (Coalfire, Antico, Bianco, Keste) that are deserving of recognition.

Ultimately, I take the lists as more places to check out.. an adventure, if you will, to confirm or debunk the quality of such great pizzas, but an enjoyable adventure most of the times.  I likely would have never heard of Stella Barra or Serious Pie if it wasn't for this forum and this list...

If the list was about recognition that would be one thing, but its not - it's just a lazy way to fill space on some website. And, adventure is great. I'm all for it. It kind of sucks when your treasure map leads you in the wrong direction however.

Serious pie has been discussed here. I'll be curious to hear about Stella Barra when you go.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
I just learned two more places to go ...