Author Topic: Pizza with lardo  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Pizza with lardo
« on: February 24, 2006, 02:16:49 PM »
Just got a few pounds of delicious lardo and decided to try it on a margherita instead of oil. In the picture below, thin slices of lardo, now mostly melted, were placed on each piece of basil.

Thickness of the edge shown in the next picture is from increasing the amount of starter from 5% to 10%. Much better. I like it this puffy.

Bill/SFNM

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza with lardo
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 03:06:58 PM »
Bill,

Love those tunnels in the dough :chef:.

Out of curiosity, where were you able to find the lardo? Do you have pigs in your back yard?

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 04:24:51 PM »

Out of curiosity, where were you able to find the lardo? Do you have pigs in your back yard?

Thanks, Peter! No pigs in the back yard; saving the space for water buffalo  :D.

I got the lardo from Niman Ranch, but when it's gone, I'll probably cure my own.

Bill/SFNM

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 10:39:25 AM »
Did you prefer the taste of the Lardo Bill?I think it would probably sell better on a Menu if the name was re-invented to something more exotic to the American pallette ! (Like the English did with "Rock Salmon" for dogfish / catfish )
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 01:13:27 PM »
Did you prefer the taste of the Lardo Bill?I think it would probably sell better on a Menu if the name was re-invented to something more exotic to the American pallette ! (Like the English did with "Rock Salmon" for dogfish / catfish )

David,

To be honest it didn't do much for the pizza. On margherita's I like a little extra-virgin olive oil drizzled on after baking.

Bill/SFNM

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 01:30:45 PM »
I had a similar experience lately with some really high quality imported Italian smoked pancetta.  It was very fatty, which I thought would melt to give a great flavor to the pies.  It basically looked like bacon.  In the end it was not preferrable to a good olive oil to my pallate.