Author Topic: How do you store 50 pound bags of flour?  (Read 2166 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
How do you store 50 pound bags of flour?
« on: September 05, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
I've often entertained buying 50 pound bags of flour, but wondered if it would expire before I used it.  How do you safely store large quantities of flour and what is the environment like that you store it in?
Mary Ann

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: How do you store 50 pound bags of flour?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »
I have been using plastic buckets and these gamma seal lids. 2 buckets will hold about 45-50 lbs.

They are stored in my hot garage. No probs in the past 200 lbs.

They have the lids at Home Depot in the paint section.

I'm sure there will be comments re: food safety but this is home use I'm talking about.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:34:57 PM »
John,

Do you get the buckets at Home Depot as well?  I'm wondering if I can store in my garage - it gets awfully humid in NJ in the summer and I think my basement is probably too humid too?  The wholesaler that I was going to buy the flour from suggested that I not store it in the basement. Their prices keep calling me to buy the big bags...  Ugh.

Thanks for the suggestion though.  I will check out those lids.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:39:35 PM »
MaryAnn,

Yes, plain old white 5 gallon buckets. The black rim of the gamma seal snaps on the bucket and then the black gamma seal top screws onto the black rim. There's a gasket so the seal is very good. I am in SE NC so I think the humidity here would probably be even higher than where you are.

John K

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »
Thank you.  Glad to know its a good seal and that your humidity doesn't affect the flour's performance  :)
Mary Ann

scott123

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:59:10 PM »
Mary Ann,  go to the bakery department at Shoprite and ask if they have any large buckets with lids that they could spare.  They almost always have buckets waiting to be recycled.  The largest buckets I've gotten from Shoprite have been 4.25 gallons.  With some aggressive jiggling to get the flour to settle, you can fit 50 lb. into two 4.25 gallon buckets.

When you ask for the bucket, tell them they don't have to wash it, as you'll be washing it anyway. If they have only one bucket, go back another day and ask again.  You could also ask at the deli, but the materials they get in buckets, such as pickles, might leave an odor in the bucket. 

I have an old house with a basement with moisture issues, and, even though I run a dehumidifier most of the summer, I have a very humid basement.  My most recent batch of flour is coming up on being a year old. I wouldn't necessarily recommend pushing it that far, but it is a good barometer for judging how well the buckets work.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the barometer, Scott.  I too have a dehumidifier in my basement.  I think you and John have helped me decide to go ahead and buy the big bags.  I use about 20 pounds of 00 flour every 3 months just for pasta and sometimes bread.  And I use about the same amount of HG flour for my weekly pizza.  I'm tired of spending $7+ per 3 pound bag of KASL HG flour and blowing through it.  I'm not married to King Arthur brand for HG, but it seems to be the only brand to buy that is not 50 pounds.  But now that I know I can store it properly, I'll buy the big bag from either Restaurant Depot or my local wholesaler.  Unfortunately, my Costco doesn't carry HG flour.

BTW my BIL manages a ShopRite, I'll ask him to get me some buckets  :-D
Mary Ann

scott123

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 11:19:35 PM »
Your BIL manages a ShopRite? Nice!  I wouldn't mind being related to a Shop Rite Manager. I betcha he gets good steaks.

I don't know who your local wholesaler is, but Restaurant Depot generally only carries 14% protein bromated flours. If you're used to dealing with KASL (another 14% protein flour) and like it, then that's fine, but 13%ish flours give you a bit more flexibility, especially for bread making.

Offline Surffisher2A

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »
I use the Gamma lids and White home depot buckets as well. The gamma lid can be hard to snap on the bucket, but once you get it one, the screw lid makes it nice and easy for access.

I usually try and take a large Tupperware container out at a time, that way I am not opening the bulk storage every time I need some flour.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
I vacuum seal my large flour purchases in batches of 5-10 lb.
They lay kinda flat on top of each other in the cabinet. All weighed and dated.

I have around 100 lb of flour stored this way.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »
I have been the lucky recipient of one of those HEAVY bags :D

I can personally vouch for the freshness of flour stored in this manner!

John K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 04:40:32 PM »
I keep about 25kg (55lbs)  in two of these: http://www.carlislefsp.com/storage-and-handling/bains-marie/220002

I keep additional 25kg bags in their original packaging. I put an unopened 25kg bag of flour in a trash bag and put it in the freezer. It will keep for a year+ no problem.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 10:33:34 PM »
Just for anyone wondering, 50 pound bag of flour easily divides into 9-10, 1 gallon ziplock bags, so obviously about 5 pounds per bag.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 04:42:43 PM »
Along those lines, I put my flour in 2 gal ziplok bags.  3 bags for a 25lb sack of flour.  2 bags are currently in the freezer. 

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »
I have been using plastic buckets and these gamma seal lids. 2 buckets will hold about 45-50 lbs.

They are stored in my hot garage. No probs in the past 200 lbs.

They have the lids at Home Depot in the paint section.

I'm sure there will be comments re: food safety but this is home use I'm talking about.

John K

For those concerned about food safety of paint buckets, Gamma makes food containers with the same type of lid.  Also, their pet food containers are FDA approved HDPE.  http://www.gamma2.net/    They are available at stores like PetSmart, Petco, etc..  That's what we've use for our dog's foods. Two of the containers are 8 yrs old and are as airtight as new.

pizzapan