Author Topic: Stanislaus 7/11 or Escalon 6-1 crushed tomatoes?  (Read 5663 times)

Online scott123

Re: Stanislaus 7/11 or Escalon 6-1 crushed tomatoes?
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 08:22:14 AM »
Do you keep your steel plate(s) in your oven permanently or do you only use for pizza/bread baking?  What is the other item above your plate?  Looks interesting...

That photo is from JD, who came up with the idea of splitting the plate down the middle.  I've worked with soapstone for a few years and recently inherited steel (thanks Barry!), but both pre-date the JD split (copyrighted!  ;D), so, for me, removing the stone/plate is really a hassle.  I've tried baking with the soapstone in place (second shelf from the top), and I was able, with some trial and error, to make cookies, but it's far from ideal.  If I had two steel plate halves, I would definitely remove them when I wasn't making pizza, so I could bake other things.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
Sounds good, Mary Ann. You're going to love the Sclafanis. Just make sure they're the NJ Sclafanis and not the CT ones (the NJ are in the first photo).

Scott,

I just wanted thank you for providing a photo. It really helps me when I shop for cans of tomatoes. Sometimes remember the can label, better than the name of the product.  Thanks again.

TomN

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
Is this your oven?

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PODC302J.html

If so, there's a good chance you can hit Neapolitan bake times with this oven.  That broiler looks really promising.  60-90 second leoparding, on the top, should be viable. Matching that on the undercrust could be the tricky part. It depends on how hot the oven will go.  What's the max temp on the bake setting?  Can the oven be calibrated higher?

1/2" steel plate, with the right flour, cheese and sclafanis, will give you the best NY style pizza you've ever had- no question.  That oven is begging for it  ;D

On the other hand, if you can pre-heat the entire hearth to 550... combined with the broiler at full strength, you might be able to do 60-90 second Neapolitan bakes with 1/2" aluminum plate- and you also might be able to do great NY bakes with aluminum- although, right now, I think, for NY, 1/2" steel is still a bit more proven.

If you want the best NY style and best Neapolitan that that oven can do, I'd suggest sourcing 1/2" steel and 1/2" aluminum. I would start off with steel, though, since the results with that, as long as you can hit 550, are guaranteed.

17" will fit. Should I request that the outer edges be rounded or have them straight all the way around? Check your PM.
Mary Ann

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »
+1 on the Jersey fresh they are Great . little Bias as I am in Jersey too as well as those tomatoes  :P
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online scott123

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 10:51:30 AM »
I just wanted thank you for providing a photo.

You're welcome, Tom.  If you can find a way to obtain these tomatoes, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
That photo is from JD, who came up with the idea of splitting the plate down the middle.  I've worked with soapstone for a few years and recently inherited steel (thanks Barry!), but both pre-date the JD split (copyrighted!  ;D), so, for me, removing the stone/plate is really a hassle.  I've tried baking with the soapstone in place (second shelf from the top), and I was able, with some trial and error, to make cookies, but it's far from ideal.  If I had two steel plate halves, I would definitely remove them when I wasn't making pizza, so I could bake other things.

So this morning I got my steel plates and bars to go underneath as a platform to raise them up above the lip on the back of my oven racks.  They were very rusty, but with a lot of elbow grease, sand paper, steel wool, vinegar and lots of hand washing they now look ready to be seasoned.  After they were cleaned, i dried them and applied a thin coating of vegetable oil with a microfiber cloth.  Here's a before and after shot.  Going to use them tonight.  Many thanks to scott123 for his help and encouragement to purchase this! BTW, I'm glad I had the plate cut into 2 pieces (suggested by JD and scott123) - holy shnikies they're heavy  :angel:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:53:56 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »
This thread has merged tomatoes with steel plates. Unfortunately, the two topics have become so intermixed that there is no way to sort out the individual posts by topic and split the two topics. I don't even know where the thread should be filed. In the future, try to stick with one core topic per thread.

Peter

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
Yes, I realized that, Peter.  I thought about starting a new thread for steel plates but I saw a couple of previous ones.  Still learning the protocol on this forum.  This will sound really dumb but is it ok to start a new thread on a topic that's been discussed before without aggravating members?  The last thing I want to do is annoy anyone  :D

I appreciate your help.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
Mary Ann,

Yes, it is OK to start a new thread. But usually I would prefer that members first search the forum to see if the questions have been addressed or answered before. You can also use an existing thread if it is on the same topic. If an existing thread is really old, it is usually better to start a new one. The thing to keep in mind is that the forum is based on an indexing system where threads are filed in the best places in the indexing system.

Peter

Online scott123

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
Mary Ann, your oven setup looks great- except for one thing. You'll most likely want to use the broiler a bit during the bake.  To do that, the steel has to be on a higher shelf- around 5-6" from the broiler.

Convection might work instead of broiling, but I would use both.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
Just a quick chime in and additional input...

We did a taste test across multiple types of tomatoes, and found that 7/11 to be the best straight out of the can.  While it's not VPN compliant (unsure if that's important to you), our taste testers and customers preferred the 7/11 to all the other sauces we tested.  6in1 came in second place, and the rest of the ones tested (in no particular order) were Cento San Marzano, Duomo Crushed, Flora Pomodoro San Marzanos, and Caputo Tomato Puree. 

More on our initial taste test here:  http://za314.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/the-origins-of-a-name-and-some-surprises/

This taste test didn't include the 7/11 as we didn't have easy access yet, but once we did, we re-ran and 7/11 flavor really shines compared to the 6 in 1.

Sounds like during the off-season, I may have to try to get some Sclafanis to try and compare...

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
Thank you for your input.  I'll have to check them out the next time I go to Restaurant Depot.  You'll love the Sclafani tomatoes.  My family loved the pizza from last week, but probably 50% because of the Sclafanis and 50% because of the 1st bake on the steel plates ;D
Mary Ann

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:15 PM »
Sounds good, Mary Ann. You're going to love the Sclafanis. Just make sure they're the NJ Sclafanis and not the CT ones (the NJ are in the first photo).

Scott123,

I was in Top Foods today and thinking that i found the tomatoes that you recommended. However, when I got home and looked at your posting, I was sad to find that I was wrong. The Brand Names are so close to each other, that it is practically not fair. LOL         Solani / Sclafani

TomN
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:57:46 PM by TomN »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »

Scott:  Bought a case of the NJ sclafanis the other day.  I tried it today and they are good but I still prefer the 7/11's.  Being a NJ native and remembering those great Jersey tomatoes in the summer months growing in our garden I hoped they would blow away the 7/11's.  I grew up in Bellville.  Everyone had small backyards but all had an above ground pool and a tomatoe garden.  I loved those off the vine fresh tomatoes we use to grow.   My mother put grapes in our backyard as well but they never produced much.  The 7/11's have more of a tang to them.  I reckon it is just a matter of ones taste buds deciding things :)  Walter

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 12:05:56 PM »
Walter,

Small world, my husband is from Nutley!

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »
Walter,

Small world, my husband is from Nutley!

Mary Ann

Mary Ann:  Say hi for me.  I went to Saint Mary's Catholic school and was an altar boy with aspirations to be a priest someday.  Walter

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
I know St. Mary's.  I will say hi.  Those are some aspirations, but I think you've found your calling  ;D :angel:
Mary Ann

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »
I know St. Mary's.  I will say hi.  Those are some aspirations, but I think you've found your calling  ;D :angel:

Thanks! I had good days in Bellville and St. Mary's.   Simple times in many ways compared to today's world.   I always have dreamed of a Boystown type thing where I would take in the disadvantaged and cognitively impaired.  We would be a village within a village so to speak with making all we needed to survive (housing, food ) and sell our goods to the community.   I have a dream out to the universe that our dog biscuits will be connected with a major pet food chain.  This would put thousands of disabled people to work and you don't need a commercial code kitchen to make them.  Dreams.........  I got more than I can remember :)  Walter

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »
 ;D
Mary Ann

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 04:12:36 PM »
I recently opened my first can of 7/11 tomatoes.  They were certainly good quality, but they were so salty that I couldn't tell that I had added my usual amount of oregano, garlic, black pepper and fennel powder.  I'm amazed that all those spices had their flavors completely masked. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

pizzapan