Author Topic: Stanislaus 7/11 or Escalon 6-1 crushed tomatoes?  (Read 5687 times)

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Re: Stanislaus 7/11 or Escalon 6-1 crushed tomatoes?
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2014, 07:55:37 PM »
I've now cooked concurrently out of a #10 can of 6in1 and a #10 can of 7/11 a few times.  My results are in and confirmed.  I am going forward exclusively with 7/11.  In my opinion, better taste/flavor and better consistency.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 07:12:58 AM »
I've now cooked concurrently out of a #10 can of 6in1 and a #10 can of 7/11 a few times.  My results are in and confirmed.  I am going forward exclusively with 7/11.  In my opinion, better taste/flavor and better consistency.

^^^

Offline pdog

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
^^^

I wanted to cast another vote to the 7/11 's. 

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »
au contraire, a vote for 6 in 1's here, but they are far from my favorites! ;D

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
I recently opened my first can of 7/11 tomatoes.  They were certainly good quality, but they were so salty that I couldn't tell that I had added my usual amount of oregano, garlic, black pepper and fennel powder.  I'm amazed that all those spices had their flavors completely masked.

Very interesting.  I just finished my second large can of 7/11 ground tomatoes.  I really love the tomato flavor, but like yours my second can was extremely salty.  My sauce recipe looks to be similar to yours, and this second round of sauce flavors were completely overwhelmed by the salt.  I wish I had a bit of the first can available to compare.

I have been buying my cans from the local Restaurant Depot, and noticed that the neighboring product was the 6 in 1s.  I was tempted.  The 6 in 1 can acknowledges that they add heavy tomato puree to their ground tomatoes, which made me hesitate.  Of course, the 7/11s are probably packed with puree as well, but for some reason (thank you for not suggesting that the reason relates to my brain) that never occurred to me until tasting the overwhelming salt in the second can.

Josh

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 09:42:20 AM »
I've always used the Classico ground from walmart well since they stopped selling and after some research I picked up a can from GFS of 7/11 however it was the big can. To those who use it how strong is the tang/citric acid, do you counter it with sugar or parmasean?

Also can anybody point me out to a reputable seller to buy some 28oz cans of 7/11s. I found a few cases on amazon but I wanted to ask here first before I ordered. Thanks

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
I use it straight from the can, and give the sauced pie a shake of oregano before I put down the cheese. If you don't add anything to the tomatoes, they'll keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks in a clean jar; as soon as you add (unpasteurized) spices the storage life drops to a week or less. After I open a new can, I usually keep some in a jar for the next bake, and freeze the rest in zip-loc bags.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 09:24:09 AM »
Like I said earlier in this post it is 7/11's for me hands down over 6 in 1.  I say use the tomato that turns you on. Don't listen to what others say is "gospel".  Let your taste buds develop the pie of your dreams.  Personally I find no satifaction in cloning others pies.  If people like my pie or not is not my reason for making pizza.  It is to make me satified.  If you like my pie great and if you don't great but I will not change it to suit others.   I say make the pie you can't stop from eating everday.  I eat 2 slices a day of our cheese pie and have to stop myself because I could eat the whole pie no lie.  That to me is a good pizza :)  Walter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 08:02:46 PM »
I've always used the Classico ground from walmart well since they stopped selling and after some research I picked up a can from GFS of 7/11 however it was the big can. To those who use it how strong is the tang/citric acid, do you counter it with sugar or parmasean?

Also can anybody point me out to a reputable seller to buy some 28oz cans of 7/11s. I found a few cases on amazon but I wanted to ask here first before I ordered. Thanks

Are you sure you're not confusing 7/11 with 6-in-1? As far as I'm aware, neither 7/11 nor any other Stanislaus product is available in any size other than #10 cans. Also, when I checked recently (and just confirmed by consulting the 2013/2014 GFS product guide), GFS doesn't carry Stanislaus products (7/11), but they do carry Escalon products (6 in 1).

pizzapan