Author Topic: Anyone have a recipe for Salerno's pizza?  (Read 682 times)

Offline blackie85746

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone have a recipe for Salerno's pizza?
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:39:05 PM »
Back in the 70's I lived in Berwyn and would frequent Salerno's. It was a Bar back then with tables in the back. Great pizza. One of the waiters told me that they would pull the pizza out just before it was done and would mist it with beer to give it a nutty flavor. I remembered this for over 40 years; I don't know if my leg was pulled or not. Has anyone heard of this? Does anyone have a recipe? This is my first post and I hope it is not a breach of etiquette to make such a request.

Offline nachtwacht

Re: Anyone have a recipe for Salerno's pizza?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:24:03 AM »
Hello and welcome.

Not an answer to your exact question but on this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.0.html  they are talking about using beer in your dough. I have not read it but it might give you an idea about what it would do for taste.

As to sprinkling beer on the pizza, I suggest to just give it a try. I would try some darker beer.... I think it would leave more "taste" as the light beer would.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: Anyone have a recipe for Salerno's pizza?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:20:53 AM »
Sounds like someone was pulling your leg.  But like nachtwacht suggested, why not give the sprinkling trick a try?  Heck, you could even do it on a frozen pizza, just to see if that flavor is present that you remember.

It was probably warm, flat Miller or Bud, fwiw.  We're talking 70s in the USA.  Maybe Old Style or Schlitz.