If anyone is interested in the trials and tribulations of a newbie, then stay tuned here...
I've baked pizza on a stone in conventional ovens for around 10 years. I usually made my own dough out of APF or a mix of BF and AP in a dough machine, rolled it out with a pin super thin with basically no additional time or care, and threw it on the stone and the results have always been better than anything available on the street....but I've always known I can do much, much better.
This week's recap:
1. The oven upgrade
: Bought this contraption for my Weber charcoal system in my attempt to get use a +/-800 degree oven for my pizza: Has anybody in this forum used it before?
I cant seem to find a review.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006WRLBNU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2. Small gadget upgrade
: Bought this to get some feel for the cooker's temphttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AEAIK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. Joined this forum and started reading
: And got a headache over a 2 hour period. Total information overload. I realized I need to start small and build from there. Compromise is necessary unless Im willing to dedicate 100% of my time to my Friday night dinner.
4. Bought some 00 flour
Went to my local Italian grocer and got some of the Cento 00 flour
5. Found a newbie dough recipe and just went for it
: I sort of indiscriminately picked the below recipe and started making it. It's been in the fridge for close to 24 hours and I will pull it out a few hours before the cook tonight. Damn does it seem salty!http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/07/how-to-make-neapolitan-pizza-crust-from-keste-pizzeria-vino-nyc-manhattan-roberto-caporuscio.html
The plan from here:
1. Pull that dough out around 3pm and bring it up to temp
2. Pour a glass of wine and light the wood fire around 5pm and start to begin to warm the stone
3. Around 6-630 begin to work the dough
4. Hopefully around 630 or 7; start the cook (thinking 2x margherita and two dessert pies; one nutella/banana/clotted cream dots added after the oven & one clotted cream/rum-cherries/lemon)
5. Approx 7:05, take some pictures of the pizza
Any tips or edits to the above plan would be greatly appreciated!