Author Topic: build .vs. buy and new FB Napolino  (Read 1494 times)

Offline bonesbr549

build .vs. buy and new FB Napolino
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
ok I've been planning my oven build forever and been waffling due to the house i own now is not my final one. I will be moving in 4-5 years.  Part of me says build and be dang'd and other says buy a mobile unit and take it with you.  I go to the forno bravo site regularlly and still come back to I should build and save a few bucks.   Well recently I went and saw the new Napolino (at least I'd never seen it) and I'm thinking now ov buying the sucker.  It's a fabulous looking oven, but  the design is diff than all the others I've looked at.  It has the venting of smoke at the front like all others, but it then has it flow over the dome and vents out the center of the top.   Anybody seen one of these up-close or can comment on the design.  I'm diggin it, and they will do custom tile colors of my choosing.   First oven I'm considering putting the money out for?
I'd want the model 70 with 28" surface.   

http://www.fornobravo.com/residential_pizza_oven/napolino.html

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:37:13 PM by bonesbr549 »

Offline Jet_deck

Re: build .vs. buy and new FB Napolino
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »
Are you satisfied with  the dome height?  It looks to be about 18", is that ok for you?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
I'm guessing that you want to make Neapolitan pizza? 28" is pretty small. If pizza making is a couple-times-a-year thing for you, this is probably OK. If it's a real passion, I think you will quickly wish your oven was larger than 28". If it was me, I'd build a minimum 40" oven. Oven size is about more than simply how many pies will fit in it. It is also a key element in heat balance.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:38 PM »
Buy an oven based on how well (or how balanced) it bakes pizza, not just by looks alone.  I'd like to see some pies out of that oven first.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:16:41 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:40:58 PM »
Craig, since you are using low conductivity biscotti for the floor, don't you think the balance can be made using higher conductivity firebrick and the pizza being closer to the radiant heat?  I think a 36" is as small as I would go if you plan on using it fairly often at any rate.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
Craig, since you are using low conductivity biscotti for the floor, don't you think the balance can be made using higher conductivity firebrick and the pizza being closer to the radiant heat?  I think a 36" is as small as I would go if you plan on using it fairly often at any rate.

I'd have to say no. The floor conductivity has to balance against everything else going on in the oven. The higher the floor conductivity, the faster the bottom is going to bake, AOTBE. If you increase the IR (and convection) to balance the floor conductivity, you are also going to increase the floor heat, and it will become a vicious circle. The only way out will be to dome the pie before its ready to be domed. The conductivity of the floor has to balance IR that is in equilibrium with the floor. 

Likewise, I dont think it is a good solution to balance higher floor conductivity by increasing IR on part of the pie by moving it pie closer to the fire or closing the distance between the fire and the wall.  IR varies as a function of temperature^4, so as you favor the fire relative to the far wall, your heat imbalance increases exponentially and not by a little exponent, but a big one.

Im going to go with the Neapolitans and say that 100cm/39 is really the absolute minimum required to get a reasonably balanced heat. No science behind that though I could put some numbers to it if someone wanted to discuss it in more detail rather its just from experience with my oven.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 11:43:42 PM »
It is worth a discussion.  As you know, my pizzas are done within an inch or so of the active fire.  I have the Whittacre-Greer brick, which are just a tad higher than the rating of the biscotti. It takes more care, and I will grant that it is easier to cook in your oven, but the question is the size of the oven.  If you are planning on making Neapolitan style pizza you will be on the peel all the time anyway.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 07:02:56 AM »
Personally, I don't see how there could be a magic diameter number for a balanced oven. If it is built properly with the correct material and is well insulated, then it will perform the way it should.   IMO, it comes down to workability and how you want to use the oven, which will determine the desired size to the individual.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:27:11 AM by stonecutter »
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 07:19:47 AM »
Are you satisfied with  the dome height?  It looks to be about 18", is that ok for you?

13" ceiling on that one.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin