Author Topic: Please critique this NP dough  (Read 2723 times)

Offline MilitantSquatter

Please critique this NP dough
« on: September 06, 2013, 11:45:24 PM »
First time using Caputo 00...  I realize this is far from textbook Neopolitan (especially w/ IDY and cold ferment).... but here is what I did, adapting a few concepts from others, just experimenting in others, and also adding in some usual I would do with my regular KABF or HG doughs

Would appreciate any input on what you think was good, bad or indifferent.

- 100% Caputo '00'
-  62.5% filtered water (room temp)
- .225% SAF brand IDY
- 3% kosher salt

- dissolved salt in water, tossed in yeast
- mixed into 2/3 of the flour for a minute or so, then rested about 2 minutes
- added remaining 1/3 flour over a 5 minute mix in Bosch Universal Plus on lowest speed
- rest for 8 minutes
- a few stretch & folds
- another rest for 8 minutes
- portioned to 250 g dough balls , into very lightly oiled container
- cold ferment in fridge for 36 hrs
- will let rest 2 hours before topping & cooking (at ~800+ degrees)

Thanks in advance
 !!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:50:29 PM by MilitantSquatter »

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Please critique this NP dough
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:46:11 AM »
looks like you read Craig's excellent thread!  Looks fine

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 03:50:16 PM »
I have a question about this recipe for anyone that knows.  I thought I had read somewhere on the forum that salt retards the yeast activity.  In one of Peter's/Lehman's recipe I used, it called for an autolyse with the flour, water and yeast, before adding the salt (and oil in that recipe).   What is the purpose/effect of putting in the salt up-front in this recipe?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »
Chuck,

The use of autolyse is not something that is common for Neapolitan doughs. The way that Militant Squatter describes how to use the salt for a Neapolitan style dough is correct. As long as the salt is thoroughly dissolved in the water before adding the yeast, the salt won't harm the yeast.

Peter

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »
Thanks much Peter.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »
What is the purpose/effect of putting in the salt up-front in this recipe?

I do it this way largely because I can be sure of an even distribution.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:58:32 PM »
Craig,
after doing the recipe just now, I see what you mean. 

When it is stated as a "cold ferment", would some refrigerators be too cold?  Would my cooler with two ice packs at approx 57F be good? 

Offline MilitantSquatter

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 06:43:06 PM »
Thanks to those those who replied.

Here's how it came out... I was satisfied for my first attempt at this style.... This was done on the Weber Kettle w/ Tombstone  ProGrate with Baking Steel Flat Dome.  Cooked at ~ 850 degree and took about two minutes.  First pizza was the best but I was too busy to get a pic.  I needed to do a better job with the new turning peel by rotating more evenly and went a little too aggressive with the last minute doming.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:46:53 PM by MilitantSquatter »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »
When it is stated as a "cold ferment", would some refrigerators be too cold?  Would my cooler with two ice packs at approx 57F be good?

I'm not a fan of cold fermenting (refrigerator). A fridge has to be 32F<x<40F.  Most are around 35F. Yeast activity is closely correlated to temperature. I don't think it's likely that a fridge can be too cold unless it's freezing things. I doubt there is much of an impact if your fridge is 33 or 34F. I prefer the 62-65F range. Ideally around 64F.

The dough will ferment A LOT faster in a cooler at 57F vs in the fridge. This chart will give you some sense of the difference: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.0.html. I'm still working on it, but I think it generally pretty reliable between 50F and 80F.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »
Thanks to those those who replied.

Here's how it came out... I was satisfied for my first attempt at this style.... This was done on the Weber Kettle w/ Tombstone  ProGrate with Baking Steel Flat Dome.  First pizza was at ~ 850 and took about two minutes.  First pizza as the best but I was too busy to get a pic.  I needed to do a better job with the turning peel and went a little too aggressive with the last minute doming.

Looking good. Keep with it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
I'm not a fan of cold fermenting (refrigerator). A fridge has to be 32F<x<40F.  Most are around 35F. Yeast activity is closely correlated to temperature. I don't think it's likely that a fridge can be too cold unless it's freezing things. I doubt there is much of an impact if your fridge is 33 or 34F. I prefer the 62-65F range. Ideally around 64F.

The dough will ferment A LOT faster in a cooler at 57F vs in the fridge. This chart will give you some sense of the difference: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26831.0.html. I'm still working on it, but I think it generally pretty reliable between 50F and 80F.

I think my dough was over-fermented.  It wasn't a tight skin bulging ball, but a flat topped sticky dough. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »
Exactly what I thought years ago on my very first Caputo  Batch  ??? something wrong here ?? nope you got it ! just quite different than the typical store bought or NY lower hydration High Gluten flour dough ball that has a lot of yeast and blows up niceand firm and puffy .
Pic of dough would help alot but sounds like you nailed it
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
Here's the pics of the last ball of dough, now approx 48 hrs fermentation, with the last 24 hrs being in my fridge at 35F ish.

Thoughts?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
Maybe a touch overfermented but definitely still usable. I've seen dough a lot farther along than that make a great pie.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »
I'll give it a shot in a little bit here.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »
The dough was very tender, requiring very gentle handling.  I didn't get it round and there were some thin spots, but it came out pretty decent.

Launched 800F deck and 900 dome center+ the flame temp.  I ran on low flame for about half the 1:44 bake then cranked it up.

Maybe a bit more deck temp?  830F ish?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:55:57 AM by bbqchuck »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 12:58:34 AM »
Maybe a bit more deck temp?  830F ish?

I'm an 850 man myself.

I bet it tasted great.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 01:17:33 AM »
It was great Craig.   ;D

The topping were a low effort.  I did sauce, provolone,  prosciutto.   I think provolone burns easier than mozz.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 09:09:54 AM »
I learned that to take the temperature on the Blackstone deck and dome, you need to either shut the burner off or turn it to low or you are measuring the air, not the stone temperature.   You Blackstone owners can try this yourselves.  You'll get large differences in IR readings from full blast to low. 

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 11:24:20 PM »
I hadn't done a pizza in what seems like a month or more. 

I used Militant's recipe above except I used .7% IDY to make a pie same day.  My opening skills never were very good and not doing a pie in a month hasn't helped.  It started going bad and I just decided to go with it.  Besides, Valentine's day is just around the corner.  :-D

Half with sauce, half without (wife's).  Basil infused EVOO on the opened dough to prevent sogginess under the sauce.  Bel Giosio Provolone, Yancy Smoked Gouda,  Yancy Triple Cream Bergenost, Parmesan Regianno, Chives, Basil, Johnsonville Andouille.

1 min 45 sec on the 2Stone

It was a nice pie all the way around.   The wife and I agreed, the Andouille was great on the pie.

There's a ball of .225% IDY and a ball of .450% IDY in the fridge in an effort to have a pie tomorrow mid day and the following day.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:28:51 PM by bbqchuck »

pizzapan