Author Topic: How do know when flour goes bad?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline caymus

How do know when flour goes bad?
« on: September 07, 2013, 07:47:57 AM »
I have been working on a 50 lb bag of flour for over 6 months. How do you know when it goes "bad"? Will there be a strange odor? 

Offline TXCraig1

Re: How do know when flour goes bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:41:28 AM »
Something like this might be a tip-off...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline texmex

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »
LOL @ Craig!

Caymus, you'll know by the rancid odor and bitter taste.  Fresh flour has a distinctly NOT sour smell which slowly starts to smell "off" over time.
Reesa

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
Bart, white flour contains trace amounts of oil, and that oil will eventually go rancid. Because the amounts are so small, though, it can be difficult to detect.

As long as you've stored your flour in airtight containers in an area that isn't too hot (lower than 80 degrees), though, I think you'll be fine with 6 month old flour. One advantage of buying wholesale flour is that the turnover tends to be excellent, so, instead of sitting on a supermarket shelf for a few months, you get those extra months of storage at home.

Offline kwtrading

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:42:28 PM »
When I buy 50 lb's I re-bag it into 5#'s each in zip lock gallon freezer bags and then freeze it all except the first one.
Have never had a problem.  Lasts at least 6-12 months if not more without a problem.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
I've been putting my flour in 2 gal ziploks and keeping them in the fridge.  I think it's good for at least a year this way.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 02:04:16 AM »
I buy Pendleton POWER Flour in the 25 pound bag. I keep it sealed well and in the garage, where is is cool. I get through that bag in about 4 to 6 months. I have not had any bad flour yet. Sealed well and a cool, dry place helps. Best to you.

TomN

pizzapan