Author Topic: Frank Pepes (CT) Fresh Garlic??  (Read 608 times)

Offline Prefessa

Frank Pepes (CT) Fresh Garlic??
« on: September 07, 2013, 10:16:27 AM »
Guys:

Was at Frank Pepes this summer and had there special fresh local tomatoe n garlic pie. I notice that they sprinkle fresh garlic on the pie.

This is a nice touch but for the most part...I cant figure out hoe they cut, chop or maybe even dry the garlic so it can be sprinkled. When you chop garlic it is wet and it does not really allow you to sprinkle it like that...instead you will get clumps.

Anyone know how its done?? it should be pretty simple.

Offline vincentoc13

Re: Frank Pepes (CT) Fresh Garlic??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »
So glad you posted this question, I definitely can relate, when I chop fresh garlic and try to sprinkle it, it just sticks to my fingers.

I was watching a show called "Pizza Cuz" and they showed a pizza maker topping his pizza with thinly sliced garlic from a twist type garlic slicer, it looked pretty interesting if it works consistently.

Offline Prefessa

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »
Very curious about how they do this...I mean in an instant the guy throws down the garlic and a perfectly distributed shower of garlic granules anoints the pie. Every bite is perfect.

Pizza Cuz was entertaining...but at times I looked at the pizzas and said....they really cant think that is "Bangin" .....I mean some toppings were just over the top just out of the realm of pizza. Taco Sicilian Pizza anyone...with White Cheddar???

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
It just takes practice...or it you prefer, put the chopped garlic in oil, with a squeeze of lemon juice if the garlic will be stored in oil..........also, the garlic Pepes uses is prepeeled garlic, like christopher ranch or something.  This garlic has its pros and cons.  Its drier, so it doesn't stick as much, but once you peel garlic, it starts to go south....so the prepeeled stuff is stronger tasting.  If I am making a dish where garlic is front and center, like roasted garlic cloves or garlic in reduced balsamic glaze, I go throught the trouble of peeling garlic from the bulb.   But, for using garlic as seasoning, I buy the pre peeled.  Its close to impossible to keep up with peeling garlic in a busy, busy restaurant.

pizzapan