Author Topic: Youngstown's Emergency dough refinement  (Read 825 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Youngstown's Emergency dough refinement
« on: October 04, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
I made some Y-town emergency dough last night as I wanted pizza and didn’t feel like forking over $14.

I used four cups of bread flour and 1.5 cups of water and followed the Y-Town emergency dough recipe to a “T”, except I only used a somewhat generous squeeze of honey and approximately ¾ tablespoon of sugar.

As I was drinking white wine when I started the process I made the dough as usual and added one "glug" of white Chardonnay wine (not much more than a double shot glass) to the dough mixture. I slightly hydrated the dough mixture over the original Y-town pizza school emergency dough recipe and put approximately one TSP of crystallized garlic powder in the flour mixture. Mix time was approximately four minutes. The dough out of the mixer was sticky. I had to flour my hands and the kitchen counter top to control it.

I used three slices (broken) of generic store brand Swiss cheese on the crust base and topped it with Reinhardt’s standard red sauce using 6n1 as my base plus a very small amount of Worcestershire sauce in the mixture (like ¼ teaspoon or less).

I used whole milk mozzarella and Grande parmesan sprinkle cheese. I pan fried a whole green pepper (cut into strips and added as a topping), then topped with margarita pepperoni and Kalamata olives (the cheese was the last topping).

I baked it on my gas grill for 8 minutes at 550* on my stone (which was preheated for about 15-20 minutes)

I have finally found the Holy Grail. I ate a piece for lunch at room temperature and could taste no specific ingredient (that is when you know you have got something good).

I thought I’d pass this along to frustrated pizza makers (like me) - try it, you might like it.

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Youngstown's Emergency dough refinement
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »
I made some Y-town emergency dough last night as I wanted pizza and didn’t feel like forking over $14.

I used four cups of bread flour and 1.5 cups of water and followed the Y-Town emergency dough recipe to a “T”, except I only used a somewhat generous squeeze of honey and approximately ¾ tablespoon of sugar.

As I was drinking white wine when I started the process I made the dough as usual and added one "glug" of white Chardonnay wine (not much more than a double shot glass) to the dough mixture. I slightly hydrated the dough mixture over the original Y-town pizza school emergency dough recipe and put approximately one TSP of crystallized garlic powder in the flour mixture. Mix time was approximately four minutes. The dough out of the mixer was sticky. I had to flour my hands and the kitchen counter top to control it.

I used three slices (broken) of generic store brand Swiss cheese on the crust base and topped it with Reinhardt’s standard red sauce using 6n1 as my base plus a very small amount of Worcestershire sauce in the mixture (like ¼ teaspoon or less).

I used whole milk mozzarella and Grande parmesan sprinkle cheese. I pan fried a whole green pepper (cut into strips and added as a topping), then topped with margarita pepperoni and Kalamata olives (the cheese was the last topping).

I baked it on my gas grill for 8 minutes at 550* on my stone (which was preheated for about 15-20 minutes)

I have finally found the Holy Grail. I ate a piece for lunch at room temperature and could taste no specific ingredient (that is when you know you have got something good).

I thought I’d pass this along to frustrated pizza makers (like me) - try it, you might like it.

I used four cups of bread flour and 1.5 cups of water and followed the Y-Town emergency dough recipe to a “T”, except I only used a somewhat generous squeeze of honey and approximately ¾ tablespoon of sugar (total sugar in recipe - not the two tablespoons as in the original recipe).