Author Topic: Gluten Strength  (Read 7685 times)

Offline philipmason

• Process Solutions
Re: Gluten Strength
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »
Ah, now we're getting somewhere.  Lose the countertop. It most likely doesn't have the necessary wattage to give you a fast even bake, regardless of how much modifying you do.  A huge part of flavor is browning/charring- and you won't get that with a hacked countertop oven.

You've got a real oven, right?  What temp does it go to and is the broiler in the main compartment or a separate drawer?

You're overthinking the extended ferment  ;D  Months ago, I told you to make a 6 hour dough and  5 day dough (using the right amount of yeast for doubling) and to taste the crusts side by side.  Time them so they are ready to bake at the same time.  Smell each dough before baking- you'll be able to smell the stark difference.

This isn't theoretical.  Longer fermentation allows the protease to break down the proteins in the flour into amino acids.  Amino acids are flavor enhancers- umami. One 6 hour dough and one 5 day dough. Just do it.

The fermentation test will be meaningless, though, if you can't work out a proper oven setup.

A blackstone is a really great investment, but, imo, it's more for those seeking Neapolitan bake times.  If you want to eventually make NP pizza, go for it, but, for your current flavorful NY quest, a home oven that hits 550 with the right hearth will achieve it.

I am getting 650F, I have a quality thermometer. What hearth for the oven?

yes, 550F for my regular oven, the broiler and bake element in same area, no separate broiler

will do side by side 6 hour/5 day ferment.

please explain "using the right amount of yeast for doubling"

specs on Blackstone is 700F, that seems low for Neapolitan, and im at 650F

but it has a convection system and top stone as well as bottom stone

Thank you

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
I have gotten my BS over 1000F, no problem.  But that is too hot to bake NP pizza.   And even for NY style, I would recommend a BS over a home oven.  Faster preheat times 10m vs an hour.  More energy efficient.  It won't heat up your kitchen.   Faster recovery times between pizzas.  Less wear and tear on your home oven.  I have had to repair my home oven from too much pizza and bread making. 

The only time I can see the BS being at a disadvantage is in poor weather.  But if you have a garage that should be fine. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
I have gotten my BS over 1000F, no problem.  But that is too hot to bake NP pizza.   And even for NY style, I would recommend a BS over a home oven.  Faster preheat times 10m vs an hour.  More energy efficient.  It won't heat up your kitchen.   Faster recovery times between pizzas.  Less wear and tear on your home oven.  I have had to repair my home oven from too much pizza and bread making.

It's still a bit early, but I think a 525 degree home oven with steel plate (and a broiler) can make better NY style pies than an unmodified BS. At least, 4-5 minute pies. The heat in a home oven seems to be more evenly distributed. It might be possible to tweak the chauflector for more even NY bakes, but, until someone does it, a home oven is, imo, the better bet.

Not to mention, a steel plate is about $50 (or less) compared to a $350 BS.

Not that there's anything wrong with having both :)  I think, though, if someone's shooting for NY, they should buy steel first.

There's also the whole size thing. An 18" NY style pizza is better than a 15" one :) and some people's ovens can fit an 18" plate.

And, while cleaning cycles can be hard on ovens,  525 really shouldn't damage an oven over time. This forum has countless members making pizza in 550 degree ovens without any reported breakdowns.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »
My current home oven is electric and it is weak.  Even with a steel plate which I've yet to try, I can't see it making a better pie than my BS.  Way too much dead space.   The BSs heat is easy to balance with simple mods and possible even without mods. Once you start using yours you'll see Scott.  ;D  I'd rather have a great 15" pie than a mediocre 18" anyday.  I use to toss out more mediocre pizza than you would believe.  I've baked in various ovens thoroughly.  You'll have a hard time finding a more versatile and efficient oven than the BS.  It is a worthwhile investment for the pizza hobbyist.  Had it been available when I started it would have saved me $ from building a mbe, lbe, buying various quarry tiles and firebrick for the homeoven, home oven repair, cracked glass table and other pizza mishaps and related cost.  :-D

My Viking gas oven required repairs after a year of constant use and many experiments without mods.  At a max dialed temp of 550F.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:33:03 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
So an improvement from bromated to non bromated makes a huge difference for you. Not serving to guests vs serving, that's huge.

Is it mostly structure/texture? No flavor difference?

The thing is, I don't know if that was specifically because it's bromated or because it's just a good flour for other reasons. Unless Dakotana or "Harvest Something" is bromated, I've probably never used any bromated flour other than All Tumps. Next time I need to get some high gluten flour, I think I'll try to get a different bromated flour (from Scott's list of good NY style flours). That probably won't be anytime soon, though.

One thing I've learned lately by trying all these different flours is that there is a lot of flavor difference between flours. Also, it's hard for me to say exactly what the overall difference is, because the differences I've seen may result more from the protein level than the bromate. The only thing I can say for sure right now is that my guests have overwhelmingly preferred bromated All Trumps NY style pizzas to any of the NY style pizzas I've made with the four unbromated flours I've tried recently. (So have I.)

Offline scott123

« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »
Even with a steel plate which I've yet to try, I can't see it making a better pie than my BS.  Way too much dead space.

Dead space shmead space :) Heat rises. In a home oven, it may take a second longer to reach the top of the oven, but it's not like it's flying out the front door or through the walls.

If we didn't already have a Neapolitan Blackstone challenge, I might suggest a NY challenge  :-D  I'm not saying that a BS can't do a great NY pie, but I have yet to see one that comes close to some of the NY pies I've seen on steel. Until I do, I'm a little skeptical.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:04:56 PM by scott123 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »
Lol. Scott you're in a constant state of skepticism.  Go ahead and start a BS vs Steel NY bake thread.  Ill be sure to make a few submissions.  ;D

Offline scott123

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
Me skeptical? I have plenty of faith in steel  :-D

Seriously, though, you know all your famous NY WFO pies?  I've been thinking about this and watching results- I'm not sure you can recreate those in a BS. The flame is too close and the rim browns differently.  Perhaps if you go down to 13", but I think the side IR will be too intense on a 15" pie, even with the regulator dialed down.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
My methods have changed since and I'm using a different flour now.  I just cracked open a 50lb bag of occident flour.  I was using Sams club (con agra) HG bromated flour then.  Also I no longer have access to my wfo to do a side by side comparison but my latest results in the BS are just as good if not better.  I've been doing 12" tester pies but will make you a 15" pie soon.  I make a killer 4min pie now, as good as my old 5min plus pies.  I would say in a blind taste test, I wouldn't be able to distinguish between my NY WFO and BS pies.  And the BS is even easier, quicker to temps, and provide a more consistent results than my wfo.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:40:57 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline scott123

« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
Occident, beautiful.  I look forward to your 15"  pies  ;D

Unlike the Craig challenge, which I thought/think is a fun way to encourage members to push the BS boundaries, I've got a pony in this race.  If, for a 15" pie, you can produce the kind of browning you were able to do with your WFO pies, then I'll switch from steel.

I really hope I lose this one.  Right now, I'm seeing Neapolitan on the BS in my future, but it's hard to pull away from steel for NY.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
Scott I thought I had better photos on my cell phone but these will have to do for now.  A bake from a few weeks ago.  You can see the darkened crust in the background slices.  All the char you can handle.  As a matter of fact NY is easier to do in a BS than a wfo as it is much easier to dial in top heat both ways.   Btw, this is closer to a coal style pie but point remains..

Online mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
The thing is, I don't know if that was specifically because it's bromated or because it's just a good flour for other reasons. Unless Dakotana or "Harvest Something" is bromated, I've probably never used any bromated flour other than All Tumps. Next time I need to get some high gluten flour, I think I'll try to get a different bromated flour (from Scott's list of good NY style flours). That probably won't be anytime soon, though.

One thing I've learned lately by trying all these different flours is that there is a lot of flavor difference between flours. Also, it's hard for me to say exactly what the overall difference is, because the differences I've seen may result more from the protein level than the bromate. The only thing I can say for sure right now is that my guests have overwhelmingly preferred bromated All Trumps NY style pizzas to any of the NY style pizzas I've made with the four unbromated flours I've tried recently. (So have I.)

I tried a few searches and could not find the thread with the above mentioned list of suggested flours for NY style.  I know what one on the list is, but curious to see the rest.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »
Mary Ann,

I believe that this post by Scott lists the flours he is currently recommending:

Reply 14 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25988.msg262315/topicseen.html#msg262315

Peter

Offline philipmason

• Process Solutions
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »
Dead space shmead space :) Heat rises. In a home oven, it may take a second longer to reach the top of the oven, but it's not like it's flying out the front door or through the walls.

If we didn't already have a Neapolitan Blackstone challenge, I might suggest a NY challenge  :-D  I'm not saying that a BS can't do a great NY pie, but I have yet to see one that comes close to some of the NY pies I've seen on steel. Until I do, I'm a little skeptical.
Scott, can you tell me the thickness of the steel you use?

I tried a cast iron pizza pan with some success, I guess it to be 3/8" thick, but cast iron does not have the thermo properties of steel. I assume steel would hold more energy, with cast iron being less dense.

Thank you.

Offline philipmason

• Process Solutions
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »
Scott I thought I had better photos on my cell phone but these will have to do for now.  A bake from a few weeks ago.  You can see the darkened crust in the background slices.  All the char you can handle.  As a matter of fact NY is easier to do in a BS than a wfo as it is much easier to dial in top heat both ways.   Btw, this is closer to a coal style pie but point remains..

Beautiful!

Jackie,

Is that semolia I see on the crust bottom? I would guess not cornmeal.

Awesome rim!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »
Scott, can you tell me the thickness of the steel you use?

I tried a cast iron pizza pan with some success, I guess it to be 3/8" thick, but cast iron does not have the thermo properties of steel. I assume steel would hold more energy, with cast iron being less dense.

Thank you.

The thermal properties of low carbon steel and cast iron are very similar. Cast iron is often a bit more conductive, but the density and specific heat capacity are generally pretty similar.

I'd bet your cast iron pan is closer to 1/4" thick.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2013, 09:27:38 PM »
Btw, this is closer to a coal style pie but point remains..

What is a coal-style pie? I've eaten at Grimaldi's, Pasty's, and Luzzo's - all coal and next to nothing in common.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »
Beautiful!

Jackie,

Is that semolia I see on the crust bottom? I would guess not cornmeal.

Awesome rim!

It is cornmeal.  I have used both and see little difference. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2013, 09:00:36 AM »
What is a coal-style pie? I've eaten at Grimaldi's, Pasty's, and Luzzo's - all coal and next to nothing in common.

I was using the term synonymously with a New Haven style pizza referencing just the darkness of the crust. 

Offline philipmason

• Process Solutions
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
The thermal properties of low carbon steel and cast iron are very similar. Cast iron is often a bit more conductive, but the density and specific heat capacity are generally pretty similar.

I'd bet your cast iron pan is closer to 1/4" thick.

Yes, 1/4". I do remember the almost exact words about carbon steel/cast iron form  my boss (mechanical engineer) about 4 months a go. I ask him the same question . I was very surprised that they are similar.

However, I assume a thicker steel would be better?

pizzapan