Author Topic: New to the board with a question  (Read 1145 times)

Offline PizzaEater

• I Love Pizza!
New to the board with a question
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:08:28 PM »
Which style of thin crust dough lends best lends it's self to the typical home oven?

Thanks

Offline chiguy

Re: New to the board with a question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 01:21:01 PM »
 Hi jenning,
 It really comes down to formulation and preparation of the skins. A thin crust can be made with high gluten and all purpose flour, either of these styles can work in you're home oven. Sometimes it will come down to rack positioning and the right temperature. There are plenty of good recipes to try here at the forum.   Chiguy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: New to the board with a question
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 01:39:27 PM »
jennings,

I think a home oven can handle all types of thin crusts and that it is the type of equipment you have on hand that may be more important. For example, do you have a pizza stone/tiles, pizza screens, disks or pans? To a degree, they can all be used or adapted to bake thin-crusted pizzas but using a pizza stone/tiles or pizza screens is usually considered to be the preferred method for thin NY styles. Pans might be a better approach for the thin, soft Chicago style, and pans, screens and disks will all work for thin cracker-type crusts. With care, some thin crusts can even be baked directly on an oven rack. I think you will find that most thin dough recipes will recommend a preferred approach for baking the crusts.

Peter