Author Topic: Dessert Pizza - Margherita Tribute  (Read 1692 times)

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
Dessert Pizza - Margherita Tribute
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
Got together with some friends today for NFL Sunday. Decided to make it a travelling pizza day so I brought my BlackStone on the road. I wanted it to be complete, so for the first time since I started making pizza, I decided I would do some dessert pizzas. My passion is Pizza Napoletana so I wanted to pay tribute to the Margherita as a dessert pizza. I got really excited about the idea I came up with and in the end am happy with what I produced, although I will continue to perfect it from some of the lessons I learned today.

My goal was to produce a delicious dessert pizza that looked very much like a Margherita, so I came up with the following;

Tomato replacement - Raspberry compote - raspberries, sugar, corn starch and Grand Marnier simmered together for about 10 min
Fior di latte replacement - Cream cheese icing - Philadelphia Cream Cheese, icing sugar, butter, vanilla
Basil replacement - Mint leaves
Parmigiano replacement - None. I considered rock salt to add a bit of balance to the sweetness, then I thought rock sugar, but didn't do anything
Bench flour - I even went as far as to attempt to use icing sugar to 'flour the peel' and use on the bench, but that was over thinking; the dough eats up the sugar and makes it difficult (at least with my 60% hydration)
Dough - 60% hydration Caputo with Camoldoli sour dough starter and salt
* My dough was unchanged from what I would do for regular pizza. I don't ever really want to make a dough with sugar in it plus I think a sourdough with a bit of tang is perfect for the flavour combination.

I loved the flavour of this pie! The cream cheese was key in giving it balance from the sweet/"tartness" of the compote and looks-wise it was pretty solid. If I had to criticize, the cornicione burnt on the top as a result of the compote being spread too far out; next time I will take better care to not spread it there. The only other thing would be the lack of desirable leoparding likely due to a dough that was an hour or so overblown.

Anyways, I will be doing this again!

iRobertO

Online TXCraig1

Re: Dessert Pizza - Margherita Tribute
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »
Very cool idea, and as far as I know, original.

I think I'd leave the starch out of the raspberry - I'll probably use raspberry preserves thinned with a little grand mariner. I might also drizzle a little butter on top to replace the evoo.

The icing sugar "flour" may have also contributed to your burning. Sugar probably isn't the best thing to have on your dough before going into the WFO.

Is the pie pretty small or are those giant mint leaves?

Nice work!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:26:38 AM »
Very cool idea, and as far as I know, original.

I think I'd leave the starch out of the raspberry - I'll probably use raspberry preserves thinned with a little grand mariner. I might also drizzle a little butter on top to replace the evoo.

The icing sugar "flour" may have also contributed to your burning. Sugar probably isn't the best thing to have on your dough before going into the WFO.

Is the pie pretty small or are those giant mint leaves?

Nice work!

Wow! I put so much thought into making it like a Margherita including the process and I forgot to create an olive oil replacement! Lol..

As for size, I think it ended up about 9". I didn't stretch it much on the peel to preserve shape and cornice for photo purposes  ;D

If you decide to make a RobertO DessertO be sure to post pics, I'd love to see what it looks like coming out of the Acunto!

iRobertO

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »
I agree, very creative and original.  A light drizzle of butter and a light sprinkle of flake sea salt might take it to the next level.  Either way, very cool idea and great execution.

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:39:05 AM »
I agree, very creative and original.  A light drizzle of butter and a light sprinkle of flake sea salt might take it to the next level.  Either way, very cool idea and great execution.

Thank you sir!

iRobertO

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 02:34:40 AM »
Second attempt.. the changes I made to the last attempt are;
- took Craig's advice and skipped the corn starch in the compote (really no need for it)
- didn't attempt to fake the bench flour with icing sugar
- a very light drizzle of honey mimicked the evoo.. will find an alternate to this..
- a light sprinkle of salt as originally planned to mimic parmigiano (it didn't not work but won't do it again, instead, white chocolate grated just like parmigiano would be)
- smaller mint leaves
- tried to get to a proper sized pizza - more like 12"

Cooked 8 pizzas last night and this was the only dessert pizza, the last pizza of the night. I was happier with how it turned out than the other 7 but maybe I tried hardest on this one cause I feel like it's my baby   :chef:

And finally, it has a new name courtesy of my 9 yr old daughter - it is officially known as "Trick Pizza". I'm 100% confident she isn't talking in gangster slang when she named it, although I didn't ask  ;D

Pics below..

iRobertO

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:49:44 AM »
Looks great. I still think clarified butter is the sub for the EVOO. I think I'd put it on even if I didn't need it for a sub.

Personally, I don't like parmigiano, or any other hard cheese for that matter, on my Margherita and would certainly feel no obligation to replicate it.
Pizza is not bread.