Author Topic: The Chadwick Oven from UK for gas fired range hobs.  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
The Chadwick Oven from UK for gas fired range hobs.
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »
This little beauty is available from the UK for 360.  It looks great and seems to do a vey good job.  The specs are intriguing.  I have a friend in the UK who owns one.  Let's see what he thinks of it.

http://www.chadwickoven.com/introduction
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:40:14 AM by Jinhua »

Offline Jackitup

Re: The Chadwick Oven from UK for gas fired range hobs.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:09:01 AM »
For 360 pounds?????? WOW

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Papageorgio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »
It reminds me of a wok with a pizza stone placed inside.

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »
I see what you mean.

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »
Looks to me like a case of style over content.

The fact you have to place a shield against your splashback to protect it from heat shows that the design wasn't thought through very well.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »
The price is unbelievably high.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
For that price you could get a Blackstone (in the USA)

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
And a lot of extra stuff. Comes to almost 500 bucks!!

jon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 11:28:07 PM »
And a lot of extra stuff. Comes to almost 500 bucks!!

jon

Try more like $570.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »
Yup.  $570 delivered.  The Blackstone is up for $349 delivered.  Is that a good option? It looks pretty good from the videos.  The thread here seems mixed, though some love it.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 02:12:50 AM »
Try more like $570.

DOH...stupid fat fingers, meant almost 600 :-D

scott123

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 03:15:36 AM »
Cooks pizzas up to 12" in size

:-D

I don't subscribe to the occasionally held belief that English food is bad.  Some of the best food I've ever had was in England.  They do cask conditioned ales that no one else in the world can touch.  While I think you can get better Indian food in Northern NJ, the Indian food in England is certainly world class.  Without a doubt, England has some of the greatest chefs in the world.

But the English and their pizza... It's like the kind of cultural blinders that you'd find in 1950s U.S.A.  It's like James Beard trying to make Thai food.  They may be closer to Italy than the U.S. is, but, from an understanding of pizza, they might as well be on Mars.  Now, before everyone goes into a tizzy, there are obvious outliers- the UK members of this forum, for instance.  Franco Manca. Paul Brayshaw. There are oases, but they are few and far between, and when you leave these enlightened islands, the level of pizza ignorance is unparallelled. The U.S. has some areas where chain pizza is the only pizza you can get, and it's a sad situation, but the chain pizza areas in England are horrifically bad. The English are able to bring bad pizza to an entirely new level.

Heston Blumenthal, a three star Michelin chef, and his assistant, Chris Young, make pizzas that make Dominos look good.

Good pizza (like Franco Manca and Paul's Pizza) is selling well, so it's only a matter of time before England begins to rise from it's slumber, but this product, with the miniscule size, the hideous rolled out pizza example, brutally obvious heat imbalance issues and ridiculous price tag, only underscore how far the Brits have to go.

Fergus Henderson, shame on you for endorsing this.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:36:48 AM by scott123 »

Mal

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 04:34:21 AM »

I don't subscribe to the occasionally held belief that English food is bad.  Some of the best food I've ever had was in England.  They do cask conditioned ales that no one else in the world can touch.  While I think you can get better Indian food in Northern NJ, the Indian food in England is certainly world class.  Without a doubt, England has some of the greatest chefs in the world.

But the English and their pizza... It's like the kind of cultural blinders that you'd find in 1950s U.S.A.  It's like James Beard trying to make Thai food.  They may be closer to Italy than the U.S. is, but, from an understanding of pizza, they might as well be on Mars.  Now, before everyone goes into a tizzy, there are obvious outliers- the UK members of this forum, for instance.  Franco Manca. Paul Brayshaw. There are oases, but they are few and far between, and when you leave these enlightened islands, the level of pizza ignorance is unparallelled. The U.S. has some areas where chain pizza is the only pizza you can get, and it's a sad situation, but the chain pizza areas in England are horrifically bad. The English are able to bring bad pizza to an entirely new level.

Heston Blumenthal, a three star Michelin chef, and his assistant, Chris Young, make pizzas that make Dominos look good.

Good pizza (like Franco Manca and Paul's Pizza) is selling well, so it's only a matter of time before England begins to rise from it's slumber, but this product, with the miniscule size, the hideous rolled out pizza example, brutally obvious heat imbalance issues and ridiculous price tag, only underscore how far the Brits have to go.

Franco Manca, Paul's pizza, Heston Blumenthal and Fergus Henderson.... and the good ol' British "Indian"

oh don't forget some "real ale" (CAMRA endorsed I'm sure  :-D)

No disrespect but if that's your impression of UK food (and I suspect you haven't even eaten at most of those places you reference), then you have absolutely no clue about the culinary landscape in the UK atm.

scott123

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 05:05:32 AM »
Mal, what are you trying to say here? You're just repeating the place's/people that I mentioned in my post. Are you a parrot?  ;D

Are you trying to say that England's culinary landscape is more than "Franco Manca, Paul's pizza, Heston Blumenthal, Fergus Henderson, curries and real ale?"  Duh?! I never said it wasn't. England's culinary landscape is incredibly complex.

Did you even read my post? I LOVE English food. My issue is with the majority of English pizza.

Mal

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 05:08:35 AM »
Did you even read my post? I LOVE English food. My issue is with the majority of English pizza.

I did. I just don't think you read mine ;)

scott123

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 05:19:44 AM »
I did. I just don't think you read mine ;)

Mal, I read your post about five times.  You may think that you're coyly getting some important point across by being enigmatic, but you're not. Reciting a list isn't saying anything.

Lightbulbs
Corduroy
Sylvester Stallone
The Dalai Lama

You're spewing nonsense.  Get a backbone and stop dancing around what you're trying to say.

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 05:25:59 AM »

I agree 100% with what you say about English Pizza (I live in England) standards are generally very poor.

I have to say this about Franco Manca.

We drove from our home in the North (200+ Miles) on a pilgrimage to Franco Manca's.

We ordered 2 pizzas and one was burnt black on the bottom, when we complained we were told we didn't understand real Italian pizza and that is how it should be.  We ended up leaving that Pizza and ordering another.

Very disappointing.

Overall the pizzas were ok but nothing compared to what we have had in other parts of the world.

Maybe an off day, but my other half was less than impressed especially after I'd been going on and on about how good the pizzas would be.

She said mine tasted better, which I took with a pinch of salt.

Ah well maybe if we're passing that way we may pop in and try again.

Mal

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 05:28:54 AM »
I agree 100% with what you say about English Pizza (I live in England) standards are generally very poor.

I have to say this about Franco Manca.

We drove from our home in the North (200+ Miles) on a pilgrimage to Franco Manca's.

We ordered 2 pizzas and one was burnt black on the bottom, when we complained we were told we didn't understand real Italian pizza and that is how it should be.  We ended up leaving that Pizza and ordering another.

Very disappointing.

Overall the pizzas were ok but nothing compared to what we have had in other parts of the world.

Maybe an off day, but my other half was less than impressed especially after I'd been going on and on about how good the pizzas would be.

She said mine tasted better, which I took with a pinch of salt.

Ah well maybe if we're passing that way we may pop in and try again.

Agree with you Ian re: Franco Manca.
It's OK but not amazing. Out of interest which one did you go to? Brixton branch?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:31:12 AM by Mal »

scott123

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 05:54:28 AM »
Ian, I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing Franco Manca experience.  To drive 200 miles and have burnt pizza must have been devastating.  It's also angering to hear that your waiter defended the level of undercrust char as being 'authentic.' NY places, depending on who's manning the oven, will sometimes take the undercrust too far, but no one would ever have the gall to call it authentic.  If a waiter would have pulled that at Roberto's or Paulie's they'd probably have been fired on the spot.

It sounds like Franco Manca is having quality control issues.  Perhaps they expanded too fast too soon and these are growing pains.  Considering the ambassadorship role they've fallen into, this is especially disappointing.  If anyplace needs reliably good Neapolitan pizza, it's England.

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 10:38:39 AM »
Scott, is your point that the Chadwick Oven is not likely to be any good because the English make lousy pizza in their pizzerias?  I understand sticker shock at the price, but that doesn't mean the product won't produce a good pizza.

So far, I haven't read any opinions that carry any weight except that it is great looking and expensive.  So are Porsches.

My friend in the UK was gifted one, and he loves it.  This fellow knows good food and is a hell of a cook, so I give some weight to his opinion.  Whether it is worth the money is a subjective judgment.  I like the concept.  But I am too new to home pizza making to spring for this item.  I need to know what I am doing first.  And I am learning a lot from the pros on this site. ;D

pizzapan