Author Topic: Scorched Earth Pizza Oven  (Read 5594 times)

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Scorched Earth Pizza Oven
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2014, 08:15:21 AM »
Here is the video of the burner from the bottom. I'm not sure how clear it is... it shows the platter rotating. You can see the burner can move under the rotating platter or move to a "back" position that sends the heat up and over the pizza. There is a divider between the two positions.

Very cool Adam. There are so many different combinations you could try with that setup, it's very versatile compared to the Blackstone. If you had a door (  ;D ) you could manipulate the burner to do longer bake cooking without fear of burning the bottom, or just general efficient high-temp cooking. If you had the option to burn less propane and get the same results, wouldn't you?

Great work.
Josh

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2014, 08:32:32 AM »
Here is the video of the burner from the bottom. I'm not sure how clear it is... it shows the platter rotating. You can see the burner can move under the rotating platter or move to a "back" position that sends the heat up and over the pizza. There is a divider between the two positions.

Adam, thank you for the prompt video.  In just 22 seconds, it shows off the 'versatility' (thx JD) of your heat flow invention perfectly. 
I love the "seasoning" on the sidewall in the first video frame.  But if that is all you have, you need to make more pies. :chef:

I need to move to Michigan. :D
Dave

Offline Adam T

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »
Adam, it seems like the distance between the top of the stone on the platter and the roof of your oven is much smaller than the BS...  What is that distance on yours?   

Right now it's 3.25" from top of stone to ceiling. I didn't have any real problems loading a pizza in that distance, even with a 1/2" wood peel.

FWIW, it's about 4.8" from burner top to rotating steel platter.

Very cool Adam. There are so many different combinations you could try with that setup, it's very versatile compared to the Blackstone. If you had a door (  ;D ) you could manipulate the burner to do longer bake cooking without fear of burning the bottom, or just general efficient high-temp cooking. If you had the option to burn less propane and get the same results, wouldn't you?

Great work.

Thanks JD. I appreciate all the input I've gotten from everyone during this build! It really helped me out!

It wouldn't take much to make a front cover/door. It could make heat-up more efficient, that would be nice. I would need to leave a bit of a gap to let the heat flow. I imagine with the way heat flows in my oven having the gap at the top of the door would be best for when the burner is under the stone.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2014, 08:53:04 AM »
Adam, thank you for the prompt video.  In just 22 seconds, it shows off the 'versatility' (thx JD) of your heat flow invention perfectly. 
I love the "seasoning" on the sidewall in the first video frame.  But if that is all you have, you need to make more pies. :chef:

I need to move to Michigan. :D
Dave

Yeah, I guess the info is all in the video, but the pause button comes in VERY handy. lol

I do need to make more pies! Can't go wrong with that advice!  ;D
Now that you mention the "seasoning" or bluing of the steel, if you pause the video at 21 seconds you can see how the heat flows from under the platter by the heat marks.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2014, 11:39:20 AM »
I love the "seasoning" on the sidewall in the first video frame. 

Maybe I should just find a high-temp clear coat for this oven. The steel color and bluing is growing on me. Or maybe I should paint the oven black with red flames in this same pattern.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
Looks like I get to see another one of these SEPOs built. My boss wants to build one to have as a kind of novelty to play with when family is in town.

I'm planning on having him get the Bayou Classic BG10 High Pressure Cast-Iron Burner on Amazon for $14

and the Bayou Classics 48 in. Stainless Steel Braided Hose with Regulator - 20 psi for $26.24
or
Bayou Classics 36 in. Stainless Steel Braided Hose with Regulator - 10 psi for $26

The 48" hose is attractive on the first one, but I'm worried about entrusting a novice with 20psi.  :-\

Any suggestions?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2014, 11:17:21 AM »
Looks like I get to see another one of these SEPOs built. My boss wants to build one to have as a kind of novelty to play with when family is in town.

I'm planning on having him get the Bayou Classic BG10 High Pressure Cast-Iron Burner on Amazon for $14

and the Bayou Classics 48 in. Stainless Steel Braided Hose with Regulator - 20 psi for $26.24
or
Bayou Classics 36 in. Stainless Steel Braided Hose with Regulator - 10 psi for $26

The 48" hose is attractive on the first one, but I'm worried about entrusting a novice with 20psi.  :-\

Any suggestions?

For $6 more you could keep the frame for yourself.  :)    http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=pizzamaking-20

If he's just looking for a "novelty" then the 10psi is enough to give the" jet engine roar".  ;)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Adam T

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
I used the oven for two more parties. The first was a 1/2 block party, the neighbors loved seeing the oven in action. We made 10 14" pizzas in this oven and 2 pan pizzas in the kitchen oven. Everyone is fascinated by 2.5 minute pizza bakes.

The second party was another work pizza lunch, 9 pizzas this time. Pictures below from the work pizza lunch.

Offline Adam T

« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2014, 10:30:09 AM »
mmmmmm BBQ chicken pizza. Grilled chicken covered in Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbeque sauce, onions, and bacon, mozzarella, BBQ sauce to sauce the pizza.

The pizza dough was flat, I really messed something up in the dough this time. Still, with good toppings no one complains.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »
I used the oven for two more parties. The first was a 1/2 block party, the neighbors loved seeing the oven in action. We made 10 14" pizzas in this oven and 2 pan pizzas in the kitchen oven. Everyone is fascinated by 2.5 minute pizza bakes.

The second party was another work pizza lunch, 9 pizzas this time. Pictures below from the work pizza lunch.
Lol, you got the boss making pizzas there Adam or what?!   ;D
Smart move.  ;)

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Adam T

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2014, 09:39:43 AM »
Lol, you got the boss making pizzas there Adam or what?!   ;D
Smart move.  ;)

CB

;D yup, I put him to work.

pizzapan