Author Topic: The Chadwick Oven from UK for gas fired range hobs.  (Read 3228 times)

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Chadwick Oven from UK for gas fired range hobs.
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »
Agree with you Ian re: Franco Manca.
It's OK but not amazing. Out of interest which one did you go to? Brixton branch?

144 Chiswick High Rd, London, Greater London

Pity really as this one of the few places in the UK where I thought we'd get a pizza comparable to something in the USA.

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 10:55:19 AM »
Scott, is your point that the Chadwick Oven is not likely to be any good because the English make lousy pizza in their pizzerias?  I understand sticker shock at the price, but that doesn't mean the product won't produce a good pizza.

So far, I haven't read any opinions that carry any weight except that it is great looking and expensive.  So are Porsches.

My friend in the UK was gifted one, and he loves it.  This fellow knows good food and is a hell of a cook, so I give some weight to his opinion.  Whether it is worth the money is a subjective judgment.  I like the concept.  But I am too new to home pizza making to spring for this item.  I need to know what I am doing first.  And I am learning a lot from the pros on this site. ;D

Can your friend send you some photo's to post?

So far I have only seen 1 video of the oven making pizzas, the Blackstone on the other hand has hundreds of photos & video's on here.

I hold the Blackstone in such high regard from the quality of pizzas it has helped members on the forum produce that I have already got a quote from them for shipping to the UK.

Offline scott123

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »
Scott, is your point that the Chadwick Oven is not likely to be any good because the English make lousy pizza in their pizzerias?  I understand sticker shock at the price, but that doesn't mean the product won't produce a good pizza.

My point is that if you don't know what good pizza is (many English don't), you can't build a good oven, and, it's obvious by the video they posted that they don't know what good pizza is.  They don't really show the guts of the oven, so I'm not 100% certain of the thermodynamics involved, but the bake seems to reveal a tragic flaw- the bottom cooks at a different rate than the top of the pie. In bottom heat scenarios such as this, you need major alchemy to get the heat up and over the pie. By the looks of the results, they didn't achieve this goal.

Even if the failed pizza on the video is about user error rather than poor engineering and this oven is viable, it will take a tremendous amount of trial and error to dial in because of differences in people's burner output.  12 minutes, the pre-heat time they recommend, won't work for everybody.  They also fail to provide any instructions for baking more than one pizza. I just don't see this producing consistent results for multi pie bakes.

And being only able to make a 12" pizzas? Who wants that?  Neapolitan pizza (which this oven can't even produce) should be 13" minimum, imo, and NY should be even larger.

Even if this oven were made in China and $50, I still don't think I'd recommend it. At $500, it's ridiculous.  Blackstone shipping tends to be somewhat cost prohibitive to Europe, but the p134h is available for the European market. A p134h is a bit cheaper and runs circles around this (but may not be quite as good as a BS).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:07:53 AM by scott123 »

Offline scott123

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 11:07:42 AM »
I hold the Blackstone in such high regard from the quality of pizzas it has helped members on the forum produce that I have already got a quote from them for shipping to the UK.

Hopefully the shipping won't be too outrageous.  Even if you do end up paying an equivalent to $500, I think it will be worth it.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
I agree with Scott.  I can't see this thing turning out decent pizza.  Edible? Of course? Good? Not likely.  Take it from those who understand making and baking pizza.  Get a blackstone oven.  It can reproduce wfo like results and bake a pizza in under 60 secs all the way to a 8 minute pizza.  This means it can do a variety of styles.  The BS oven comes highly recommended from those who know pizza!

Online shuboyje

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »
Don't know what it takes for an opinion to have any weight for you.  But here is mine anyway

As someone who has designed, built, and used a stove top oven over the last few years I don't think any oven that uses a single stove top burner underneath as it's heat source will produce vey impressive results.  It's just not enough heat and in the wrong places.  This oven will not even perform on par with your 1/4" steel plate under the broiler, let alone better.
-Jeff

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
BTW, Scott, I think Mal totally misread your post.  But I am looking for some guidance re this product.  I am intrigued by the Blackstone at $349.  Might be good for a beginner who doesn't know dough from dough.  I will try my oven and the steel first before I buy more expensive tools.  Just getting my pizza 101 orientation.

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
Thanks guys.  Now I have a good sense of what the potential failings are of this thing.  I would not risk $600
Based on the experienced observations you've given me.

The Blackstone can be had for $349 us $20 shipping from one site I found.  But as I wrote, I should walk before I jump.

I appreciate your help.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 01:30:09 PM »
$20 shipping to UK, now that's impressive... Please share the shipping method if it is ok.
Bert,

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »
Not the UK,  New York.  I think I read it right.  I'll post the listing when I can.  Amazon sells the Blackstone for $369 plus (I think) $60 shipping.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 03:35:58 PM »
Still interested how they can ship it for 20 to NY. I have been using FedEx and ups ground.
Bert,

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »
thanks
Bert,

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »
Your oven tempts me as a way to use my wood burning grill and make pizza without having a separate appliance in my car port.  But I need to crawl before I run!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »
I understand sticker shock at the price, but that doesn't mean the product won't produce a good pizza.

Any oven can make a good pizza - any. The key is knowing what you can and can't do.  It's like Clint said, "a man's got to know his limitations." If Neapolitan is your goal, no, the Chadwick oven will not make a good pizza.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »
Neapolitan pizza (which this oven can't even produce) should be 13" minimum, imo, and NY should be even larger.

Who in NYC makes a 13" NP?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 10:36:42 PM »
Any oven can make a good pizza - any. The key is knowing what you can and can't do.  It's like Clint said, "a man's got to know his limitations." If Neapolitan is your goal, no, the Chadwick oven will not make a good pizza.
You all convinced me of that.  Also that there are alternatives to making a good NY pie that cost a lot less.  A way lot less.

I need to use my steel and learn how to make dough and bake it well before I get too far ahead of myself.

I'm just a sucker for fancy toys.  Ten years of high end audiophilia taught me that sometimes enough is enough. ;D

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2013, 10:39:14 PM »
Your oven tempts me as a way to use my wood burning grill and make pizza without having a separate appliance in my car port.  But I need to crawl before I run!

I have not used MPO with just wood yet... I successfully baked 5 pies on MPO using charcoal today see
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27500.new.html#new

What is your oven model ?
Bert,

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2013, 11:25:21 PM »
My oven is a Viking propane.

My wb grill is a Grillworks 36.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 05:53:18 AM »
On your Grillworks 36,  do you use wood logs, or small pieces . Also I am curious about the smoke generated from the wood, how is it vented.

It looks like the heat is distributed evenly all across the grates.  I was thinking to use similar grates to place over turkey fryer burners to use with MPO.

Bert,

pizzapan