Author Topic: The Chadwick Oven from UK for gas fired range hobs.  (Read 3476 times)

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Chadwick Oven from UK for gas fired range hobs.
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 06:24:31 AM »
I use seasoned oak logs, started on a small base of lump charcoal.  I make the fire depending on what I am cooking.  For a full Argentine grill, I will use both fire grates and use the wheel to raise and lower the cooking grates to control the heat.  Sometimes I just use one side if I just have a few steaks or a rotisseried bird.  The smoke just freely vents from the fire upwards, through the cooking grates then disperses.  Often there is little smoke when I get a very hot fire going.

I also cook with apple, grapevines, pear and peach for fish more delicate meats.  The ability to raise and lower the grates from very close to nearl two feel from the fire gives me a lot of control.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:12:15 PM by Jinhua »

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 06:27:43 AM »
THe v grates carry cooking jives and fat down a 4 degree slope into collecting pans at the edge. I use this, mixed with other basting stuff to baste the meat frequently.  The v grates also prevent flare ups since the fat does not drip in the fire.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:13:04 PM by Jinhua »

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 06:29:51 AM »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 06:32:21 AM »
This is an awsome grill. Thanks for sharing.
Bert,

Offline scott123

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »
Who in NYC makes a 13" NP?

As far as I can tell, Keste seems to be using either this peel:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008A1TK4S/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Or this one:

http://www.fornobravo.com/store/The-Ultimate-Pizza-Peel-14.6.html

and fills the peel during the final stretch

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6gYIS0mAgs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6gYIS0mAgs</a>
(see 1:22)

Even if Keste wasn't doing 13" or 14" pizzas, I don't think it would be too terribly wrong to look at your 13"ish pies as a sizing ideal  ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »
That's a 13" round GI peel. Pulled to the edge, it will yield at best a 12" pie. Assuming those are 13" plates in that video, those are 12" pies. We've eaten there, and his pies are not 13". Don't get me wrong, I'm a 13" NP guy all the way, but you are not going to find many 13" NP pies in NYC or any of the big name places in the US for that matter, and a lot of them are smaller than 12".
Pizza is not bread.

Offline henkverhaar

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 03:59:37 AM »
And being only able to make a 12" pizzas? Who wants that?

I do ;-) My 10 mm mild steel plate is only 35x35 cm (a little tight but it works) and in our situation, a single 12 inch pizza baked on that steel plate is sufficient for a meal for two (plus dessert of course...)

Offline Beng

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »
I have had a Chadwick oven for about 6 months now and can thoroughly recommend it. Have been dishing out some great thin crust pizzas from it.

Haven't tried any of the other ovens mentioned on this thread so can't comment on them. Though that hasn't stopped other folk on this thread giving their expert opinions on the Chadwick who clearly have never even been near one  :-D

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
I'd personally have no problem being wrong here, but really doubt I am.  I'd love to see some pictures or videos from the chadwich so we can see what it can do.  We've only seen first hand result from the weber pizza oven based on the chadwick and they weren't impressive, but maybe the real deal is better.

Just to clarify my previous statements, the Chadwick runs off a single stove top burner.  With a single stove top burner you can either directly heat the bottom stone and get good bottom heat but no top heat leading to an unbalanced bake, or you can buffer the heat on the bottom and divert it to the top leading to a balanced bake but an extended bake time.  There really isn't a third option.

I have had a Chadwick oven for about 6 months now and can thoroughly recommend it. Have been dishing out some great thin crust pizzas from it.

Haven't tried any of the other ovens mentioned on this thread so can't comment on them. Though that hasn't stopped other folk on this thread giving their expert opinions on the Chadwick who clearly have never even been near one  :-D
-Jeff

Offline Beng

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »
The beauty of the Chadwick though is that the metal dome retains the heat. It gets as hot at the top as it does at the bottom, giving a good well rounded cooked pizza. The back of it gets the hottest so the pizza needs to be turned around during the cooking process.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »
An uninsulated thin gauge metal dome doesn't retain enough heat to do anything, and they claim something like a 15 minute heat up, even if there was enough mass in the dome to retain heat it would take way longer then that to store the heat in it with only a single stove top burner.   
-Jeff

Offline Beng

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »
Sorry Shuboyje but your theory is just plain false. Even just a 10 minute heat up works for me  :drool:

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
Like I said, I'd love to see some pictures and videos of what it can do.  I'm factually speaking about thermodynamics, no theory here.
-Jeff

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »
Like I said, this is what we have to go off of currently, the european Weber Pizza Oven that was developed by Chadwick:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=24677.0

-Jeff

Offline scott123

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2013, 12:04:13 PM »
An uninsulated thin gauge metal dome doesn't retain enough heat to do anything

Actually, Jeff, low mass, uninsulated ceilings can achieve quite a lot. If you're looking at this from an NP perspective, then no, thin gauge metal won't retain enough heat, but, for NY bake times, Kenji's work with the Kettlepizza insert points towards the viability of low mass domes for 4+ minute bakes.

Mass certainly helps, but, I believe that just merely stopping hot air from rising goes a long way in providing top heat to a pizza.

Now, Kenji did his low mass magic with foil and a (most likely) higher BTU wood heat source, so I'm in no way defending this oven, but, I think we have a long way to go in determining the viability of low mass domes.

Beng, what bake times are you seeing with this?  Faster bakes exacerbate top/bottom heat balance issues. Things even out quite a bit with longer bakes.

Offline Beng

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2013, 12:35:25 PM »
Usually it takes about 4 minutes to cook. If cooking a few pizzas I usually have to turn the gas down bit after the first two as the stone can sometimes get too hot.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »
Yeah, it can do New York no problem, but so can most ovens.  Why would I want an expensive oven that can only cook a tiny pizza to do New York when I can do it in the oven I already have for way less money and do at least a 16" pie in most ovens?

Actually, Jeff, low mass, uninsulated ceilings can achieve quite a lot. If you're looking at this from an NP perspective, then no, thin gauge metal won't retain enough heat, but, for NY bake times, Kenji's work with the Kettlepizza insert points towards the viability of low mass domes for 4+ minute bakes.

Mass certainly helps, but, I believe that just merely stopping hot air from rising goes a long way in providing top heat to a pizza.

Now, Kenji did his low mass magic with foil and a (most likely) higher BTU wood heat source, so I'm in no way defending this oven, but, I think we have a long way to go in determining the viability of low mass domes.

Beng, what bake times are you seeing with this?  Faster bakes exacerbate top/bottom heat balance issues. Things even out quite a bit with longer bakes.
-Jeff

Offline Beng

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »
Much superior than any conventional oven for cooking pizza and twice as hot. If you are hungry Shuboyje you can always make two 12"  :)

Offline scott123

« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
Yeah, it can do New York no problem, but so can most ovens.  Why would I want an expensive oven that can only cook a tiny pizza to do New York when I can do it in the oven I already have for way less money and do at least a 16" pie in most ovens?

I agree 100%. I'm not defending this oven in any way.

Your previous comment seemed to imply that low mass dome ovens were useless across the board, and I wanted to address that- especially since I've been thinking about low mass domes quite a bit lately. In the past, I was very anti-low mass, but my feelings have recently evolved.

And, not to get too pedantic, but, based upon the small sampling of European ovens this forum has witnessed, I would confidently say that most European home ovens can't  achieve NY bake times, so, in theory, one could have a device with a low mass dome that's viable for the NY seeking European pizzamaker, but, as I said, from what I've seen so far, I don't think this is it.

Offline Beng

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »
If any of you gets the chance to use one these you will be pleasantly surprised by the results. Top quality authentic pizzas from your own kitchen. Very good for Nan bread as well apparently.

pizzapan