Author Topic: soggy bottom solutions?  (Read 489 times)

Offline rocky_creey

• I Love Pizza!
soggy bottom solutions?
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »
Although I have several "normal" solutions still to try I'm trying to move from almost perfect to perfect and I have thought of 2 ideas out of left field on which I would like comments,

1: Just before saucing the pie, beat an egg or egg white into sauce with stick mixer.

2: Seal the top with heat gun as opposed to prepaking.  Be aware that although I am doing retarded ferment I also use fat encapsulated leven ( Wrise). I am baking in a blackstone an the last sort of thin crust in a perforated pan was near perfect. I had used a whole egg and milk eggwash on that one. I was at about 700-720 degrees on the stone near the flame at the end of the bake. I will try to reach that temp before I put it in next time. Thanks for your ideas.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: soggy bottom solutions?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
rocky_creey , When I first started making pies from scratch they didn't always come out perfectly. I was hoping that they would but finally realized these things take time. I too tried unusuall, non-common solutions to errors I was making, sometimes ok, sometimes not. It seems to me now that there have been many pizza makers before me who have done quite well with traditional methods, ie without the inovative solutions. It kinda comes down to your personality and what you ultimately want to achie with your pie. Over the past year or two I am coming to realize that using the tried and true methods pretty much work well, as long as I do them right.

So your solutions above may work for you and you may be pleased with the results. If that is the case I suggest you continue with what you are doing. If on the other hand you would rather your pies come out better without those solutions, then keep on baking using the more traditional methods.

Good luck!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
A simple "normal" solution is to reduce heat and bake a little longer. You can also strain/drain your tomatoes to remove excess water. These two things are what I'd do instead of adding eggs.

Josh

Offline redox

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »
The two previous posters are right on the money. I have a BS also and have come to realize that just because I can bake at a high temperature doesn't mean that I should. Why don't you try the simplest thing first and reduce your baking temp to 550 -600 and see how your pie turns out?

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 03:57:45 PM »
Some additional ideas:

Reduce the moisture in the sauce - make it slightly thicker
Apply less sauce
Apply sauce via a dispenser method (plastic squeeze bottle) making circular rings
Apply low moisture thin cheese slices first, then sauce (toppings and slightly more cheese afterwards)
Reduce the moisture from veggies (if you are adding) by slicing thinner
Apply a very thin layer of oil (your choice) then sauce - this might mimic your last attempt with the egg wash.

I have not used Wrise so not sure it's impact....not sure what style your attempting or how you are managing the dough or it's percentages...so just some basic ideas....

Offline rocky_creey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »
 redox

You may be right on the heat. The last pizza was different in 2 ways from the one before it. The previous pizza was in a cutter pan that warps so that the outer area is off the stone. When I went to the perforated pan it stayed flat but I also jacked up the heat. Best to make one change at a time. I have a hearth bake cloud dish and a steam rack coming and expect those items to help.

Offline rocky_creey

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
Well I got it perfect to me today. About 3 factors changed. I got in my cooling rack. I made a mix of 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp honey and spread on the dough crust. I did use a little less sauce, didn't really miss it as much as I thought I would. Put it on at 720 (on stone near the flame)
and the temp was stable after that. Very thin crust. Next move is to go from 2/3 all trump, 1/3 caputo 00 to 50/50. This was a 4 day ferment.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:41:51 PM by rocky_creey »

pizzapan