Author Topic: Forcella vs Keste vs Motorino?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline derricktung

Forcella vs Keste vs Motorino?
« on: September 09, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »
All,

Going on a trip to NY tomorrow with the wife to visit Paulie Gee and check out as many of his pizzas as humanely possible with a few friends, and will have one, maybe two, spare meals that we can use on pizza.  I'm looking at Forcella vs. Keste vs. Motorino... any thoughts between the three?  Or should I be checking out another place for Neapolitan or NY Elite style pies?

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Forcella vs Keste vs Motorino?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »
Motorino.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:08 PM »
Motorino.

Motorino it is.  Thanks Craig!

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:11:12 AM »
Don Antonio on 309 west 50th.  Don't miss it!!  http://donantoniopizza.com/  Keste and they are partners.  For me, either is great.  The calzone at Keste is killer!!  I would skip Motorino, if it meant missing either Keste or Don Antonio.  I live here.  In the opinions of many pizza freak friends, Keste and DA are the most authentic for this style of pizza in NY.  They are on-off shops and not parts of a chain, each run by a fanatic.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:15:14 AM by Jinhua »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:13:57 AM »
The Via Tribunal Clam Pie was one of recent my bestever in NYC !
Go and Get a small pie around the corner at Luzzos if you choose Motorino
oh, and  The around  Next corner- is Atichoke Basil wow!
great pizza block
NY slice from Best on the way from Paulie gees and please say hi to  Paulie  for me !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline derricktung

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
It sounds like we may just have to hit one-two-three spots for lunch, and restrain ourselves to ordering one pie at each place...  I'll be curious what Paulie Gee thinks as well.  He's given me a rec of a place in Jersey City, but I haven't asked about the three previous. 

Looking forward to some great pizza eating and hopefully some inspirational moments...

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 12:48:04 PM »
 motorino uses buffalo milk on their margherita and it is very good. rumor has it that motorino is doing something different with their dough. if you could compare it to one of the traditional places that would be great. john and i noticed a different taste and texture last time we were there. the other place john mentioned via tribunali, check this joint out it has about 20 seats a big ass oven and i enjoyed their pizza ,traditional neapolitan. i think they use 5 stagioni flour,and their own imported tomatoes.

Offline Peasant

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »
Don Antonio & Forcella have been pretty inconsistent for me (several visits for each) so I'd put them lower on your list.  If you do hit Forcella, try a fried pie but avoid those with heavy toppings (they tend to be undercooked since the pie spends less time in the oven).  Motorino & Via Tribunali are both good and both offer buffalo mootz in addition to fior da latte.  I'm quite sure that Via Tribunali no longer offers the clam pie unfortunately (Motorino's is a staple).

Have fun!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
 :'(    R I P

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 05:17:35 PM »
:'(    R I P

There are few things I would consider to be a bigger pizza sin than serving a clam pie with shells on it - or serving anything inedible on top of a pizza for that matter. Of course it's OK to bake the pie with the clams in the shells, but please have the common courtesy to remove inedible items before service.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »
You mean I wasnt supposed to eat the shells  ???
oh shucks  ;)

Offline derricktung

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »
So, went to Paulie Gee's for a couple hours of discussion on pizza and the pizza business (that guy is really phenomenal and very down to earth, and has some great topping combinations), and then on our last day in NY, hit up Forcella and Motorino to experience some other traditional styles...

Forcella was what I expected Neapolitan would be... very soft with a slight crisp to the edge, and droopy center.  The Montanara was really spectacular as well.

Motorino, however, was quite surprising... the crust came out to be crackly, but soft interior.  When I went to fold the pizza, the crust from the corncione all the way to the center literally "cracked" and flaked off!  The exterior was quite stiff, and though the corncione was airy, you could literally hear a "crunch" when biting into it.  It was far crisper than I would have predicted for a Neapolitan pizza... is this what they typically serve, or was it a consistency issue?

Don't get me wrong, it was a great pizza... just not what I understood a Neapolitan to be.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
Motorino, however, was quite surprising... the crust came out to be crackly, but soft interior.  When I went to fold the pizza, the crust from the corncione all the way to the center literally "cracked" and flaked off!  The exterior was quite stiff, and though the corncione was airy, you could literally hear a "crunch" when biting into it.  It was far crisper than I would have predicted for a Neapolitan pizza... is this what they typically serve, or was it a consistency issue?

Don't get me wrong, it was a great pizza... just not what I understood a Neapolitan to be.

That has not been my experience at Motorino. Did you happen to time their bake. I have seen some of the longest NP-style bakes I've seen at Motorino - some exceeding 2 min. Notwithstanding, while I've certainly had a thin outer shell on the cornice there, I've never seen the bottom crack. I've probably tried close to 20 pies there on at least 5 separate visits.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
That has not been my experience at Motorino. Did you happen to time their bake. I have seen some of the longest NP-style bakes I've seen at Motorino - some exceeding 2 min. Notwithstanding, while I've certainly had a thin outer shell on the cornice there, I've never seen the bottom crack. I've probably tried close to 20 pies there on at least 5 separate visits.

I didn't time their bake, as it was difficult to see some of their process while talking with my companions (who aren't as pizza-crazed as I am).  My cousin who visited a few years ago complained about the dough being soft and droopy middle, and was pleasantly surprised at the difference in crust this time... on the other hand, I was expecting something much softer and not "crispy" when I bit in.  The bottom and cornice definitely cracked and flaked off during the fold, similar to what happens with a cracker crust shattering when cut.  Like I said, I was very surprised as to how "hard" the outside was.

Must've been an off day then.  We went during off hours (around 3 PM on a Thursday) so that might be part of the issue.  Unfortunately we only had room for one pizza... perhaps my next trip to NY will yield more consistent results?

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »

Must've been an off day then.  We went during off hours (around 3 PM on a Thursday) so that might be part of the issue.  Unfortunately we only had room for one pizza... perhaps my next trip to NY will yield more consistent results?

Motorino in Alphabet City or the "new" Motorino in Brooklyn?

I was at the Alphabet City location in July and that crust wasn't cracking. It was great. Their Brooklyn location was just opening and I didn't get a chance to try the pies there...

My (brief) chat with Paulie was for me, like a movie fan talking to Martin Scorsese. What a nice guy.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline derricktung

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Motorino in Alphabet City or the "new" Motorino in Brooklyn?

I was at the Alphabet City location in July and that crust wasn't cracking. It was great. Their Brooklyn location was just opening and I didn't get a chance to try the pies there...

My (brief) chat with Paulie was for me, like a movie fan talking to Martin Scorsese. What a nice guy.

John K

Hmm.. I'm not actually sure.  (You can tell I'm not a New Yorker...)  We went to the one in lower manhattan, a few streets away from Forcella.  I believe it's the East Village location?

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
Hmm.. I'm not actually sure.  (You can tell I'm not a New Yorker...)  We went to the one in lower manhattan, a few streets away from Forcella.  I believe it's the East Village location?

Yeah that's the "original" one ---same one I went to. Jealous and drooling as I write this!

John K

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 04:57:06 PM »
Yeah that's the "original" one ---same one I went to. Jealous and drooling as I write this!

John K

The "original" one closed when the building was about to collapse around it, right?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
The original Motorino Williamsburg, Brooklyn location was the one that was condemned.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »
I guess I am missing something?

This is the Motorino Williamsburg place I was talking about:

http://www.motorinopizza.com/williamsburg/index.php?action=page&id=1871&location_id=26

They didn't have their liquor license yet in July so I wasn't about to visit :) and therefore can't confirm it's current existence.

I ate at the place that used to be UPN (?)

So you guys are telling me there was another location prior to the Manhattan one also? Sheesh, how's a guy supposed to keep his pizza history straight?!? :-D

John K