Author Topic: SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6993 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »
Many hear know of my operation and have been very supportive of it.  I wanted to share some great news with you.   Paige, my top student, and heck of a pizza maker, just got hired by Bon Appetit to make pizzas at Denison University.  They are a top shelf operation (do a net search on them) and we have a contract making bagels for the 3 cafeterias they run at the school.  I talked to them about hiring Paige this summer and they came in my room and watched her make pizzas for them.   Today we made a bagel delivery and brought along a pizza for them to try next to theirs.   Well the head of operations for this region of the country was there and also was there the day Paige made pies for them.  He took a bite of our pie and said "Walter can you please come and help us with our pizzas?".  I said sure and then he said "What about Paige working here too?".  She lit up and when asked what she thought of their pizzas she said it wasn't any good (she has picked up some of my Jersey talk :-D).   Long story short, she will be starting saturday morning and working Sat/Sun for now.  If it all works out she will get hired full time when she graduates from High School.  They will pay her $10/hr which for out here is darn good for an uneducated adult let alone a special needs teenager.   They told her to keep that to herself because much of the cleaning people make less than that.

They have  top shelf set up for the pizza.  There is a Bakers Pride double stack with the top oven an open faced gas that is made to look like a wood burning oven(I am not up on the new ovens).  I am not sure what model it is.  It is brand new and I looked in the control panel and it is rated at 140,000 BTU's.  The lower oven is a regular door deck job with just one burner under the stone so  I figure it must me down around 85k btu's.   There is a great prep table, marble work top area, refrigerated boxes, heated holding boxes, a 80 qt hobart, and just about all anyone would wish for.  They showed me their dough that was made this morning.  It was already blown out.  they roll it with a rolling pin and then top it and cook it on the decks.  Their recipe called for 110 degree water to start out.  I told them I will write up a whole new recipe for them and Paige and I will teach them to toss and hand stretch the dough.  I am volunteering my time for a couple weekends until she and the staff gets the hang of things. 

The group of kids I work with have almost a 100% unemployment rate as adults.  My bakery/pizzeria is showing this doesn't have to be.  Hopefully others will follow our lead with their students.  Anyway, with UE rates this high, getting just 1 student employed in ones teaching career is success beyond words.  This is just the beginning.  I have several others that will make great dishwashers and clean up people.   Bon Appetit said part of their mantra is to hire disabled people so this may be a great place for my students as they graduate.   Here is Paige with a pie from the other day.  Thanks everyone for all your support here.  It is the only place I have to communicate on a pizza level that excites me.   Walter

Paige is my 2nd success story.  The first is Ana, a girl of Mexican decent that was near homelessness at age 11.  She ended up on our doorstep and we ended up unofficially adopting her and she ended up changing her life into a happy and successful person.  She loves pizza and I taught her a lot about it for several years.  Now at 23 she is the head pizza maker at a shop in northern Califonia.   Now all I need to do is hit the lottery, hire Paige, Ana, and my wife.  We will run our own little shop my way and I will set up trust funds for Paige and Ana so they can continue after Judy and I are dead.  I know this going to happen.  I love to dream big!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:41:54 PM by waltertore »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 06:24:29 PM »
Paige, CONGRATS. you must be one heck of a pizza maker.

Walter, also a feather in your cap! Great teachers make great students.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »
Paige, CONGRATS. you must be one heck of a pizza maker.

Walter, also a feather in your cap! Great teachers make great students.

Mark

I will forward that to her Mark- thanks!  Seeing a kid destined for pregnancy, drugs, abuse, jail, early death, turn to having hope and dreams is better than being a millionare 10 times over. Walter

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »
waltertore,

You should know that your guidance, perserverance and leadership were the conditio sine qua non" for Paige's job offer. You should be proud of yourself; for being a great example, for providing an opportunity to those that needed one, and for believing in these kids - or shall I say - your kids.  Congratulations - this is as much your victory as it is Paige's!

J
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:53:59 PM by Johnny the Gent »
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Walter your success stories brought tears to my eyes.  :'(  Thank you for all you do for those kids.  You are a wonderful human being.  Keep it up Walter.  You encourage me to keep doing nice things for others but I need to dream BIG like you!

Chau

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »
thanks for such kind words Jackie and Johnny! I hope I can continue this endeavor till I die.  Walter
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:09:23 PM by waltertore »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:45:14 PM »
Where's the like button? Congratulations, Walter.  You are a wonderful person to have such a positive impact on those kids' lives.  Keep up the good work and good luck to Paige!  Please keep us posted on her journey.

Best Regards,
Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:08:51 PM »
Where's the like button? Congratulations, Walter.  You are a wonderful person to have such a positive impact on those kids' lives.  Keep up the good work and good luck to Paige!  Please keep us posted on her journey.

Best Regards,
Mary Ann

thanks Mary Ann!  Will do on the updates.  We start Saturday.  I am from NJ (Bellville/South Orange) but have been gone since I was a late teen in the 70's.   One of my brother lives in Pompton Lakes and one of my sisters in Booton.   Where are you located?  Walter
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:10:27 PM by waltertore »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
I am very inspired by your work, Walter!  I just wish that there are more people like you out there who is actually doing it.  Congratulations! 

Marlon

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 08:41:05 PM »
Walter, I have to echo what Chau wrote, your story brought tears to my eyes. It is so inspiring! Your work is really amazing, and you are an example to the rest of us to do something meaningful in life, and DO WHAT YOU LOVE!  Congratulations to you and Paige and all the kids working in your program. Your values of quality, hard work and integrity will be remembered by your students for the rest of their lives.  Bravo! 

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »
Congratulations to Paige!

and you Mr. Tore: take a bow!

This shows again about the important things in life!

Peter

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
Walter,

I live in Morris Plains.

Mary Ann
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:15:29 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline csafranek

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 10:00:21 PM »
Congrats! That is an awesome story! Thank you for sharing!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »
X2 Nice work Walter !!
Hey Neighbor ! I am in Mahwah, Mary Ann !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 06:05:48 AM »
Thanks again everyone.   I am a lucky guy to have been called to this work.  I am making more NJ friends on this site than I had growing up in NJ :)  Today we fill out Paige's job application.  I work with these kids everyday and oftentimes think I know what is going on with them.  As I type this I realize I am really clueless much of the time.  I have filled out countless job applications, never really sweated getting work much, know I can drive my car, buy a house, and all the other things that go with having the cognitive skills needed to be successful in this world.  For people like Paige most will never fill out a job application and get the job, never own a car, never have their own room, and all the things we take for granted.  Filling out this application must be such a big  thing that I doubt I will ever know such a feeling because I have had many successes in my life.  My students have very little in theirs.   I can't wait till Saturday and go to work training her in their pizzeria.  I sent them a dough recipe and maybe they will want Paige and I to make a batch.  Their crust is reminiscent of a frozen store bought pizza crust.  Anyway, life sure is good.  Walter

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 06:46:41 AM »
Congrats to Paige!   That is so very cool, she must be so excited.

Walter - it's an incredible thing that you do with your kids. 
Deb

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 08:19:07 AM »
  Seeing a kid destined for pregnancy, drugs, abuse, jail, early death, turn to having hope and dreams is better than being a millionare 10 times over. Walter

Amen to that Walter!  You are a great inspiration to these kids and I just wish that we could see more stories of Great things like this rather than what we read everyday in the papers. 
Tom

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »
 ^^^
Mary Ann

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »
Seeing a kid destined for pregnancy, drugs, abuse, jail, early death, turn to having hope and dreams is better than being a millionare 10 times over. Walter

^^^

An important lesson we were taught about 2000 years ago.

I admire you for showing Paige a better path and her for taking it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »
Walter,

I sincerely admire what you do for your students everyday.  Congratulations to Paige!  She sure is an inspiration to everyone.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!