Author Topic: SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6755 times)

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Paige filled out her application and our class brought it up to Denison University.   She wanted to thank them so I suggested she make some pizza, pizza knots, and cookies(you can see them in the picture with some of my other students in their chefs coats).   We brought them up and everyone loved it.  Bon Appetit is a model of what business can do with disabled people.  They are excited to think outside the box.  She has an orientation meeting tomorrow night and starts Saturday morning. They are going through 200 lbs of all trumps a day so this will be a busy job for sure and she will be earning that $10/hr!   Here are some pictures of her filling out her first job app. and her new state of the art workplace.   Walter
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:35:15 PM by waltertore »

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
Fantastic news!   Congratulations to everybody!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »
Awesome, simply awesome!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »
You can see the success in her face. Truly awesome.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 11:39:19 PM »
Nice digs.

Any more information on the oven? Is it a BP Forno Classico? Does it have a brick ceiling?

Knowing what I know about Baker's pride and vintage Blodgetts, I was going to say that there might be a learning curve and that the BP might not be as balanced, but, if it has a brick ceiling and 140K BTU, I think the BP might end up outperforming the Blodgett. The Blodgett has more raw power, but the BP, if it has a brick ceiling, might be a bit better balanced at higher temps. I'm curious to see how you like working with it.

The brick ceiling, if it's anything like the Marsal, should require less turning.

Beyond providing a formula, you're providing oven management counseling as well, right? The bake time is especially critical for most styles of pizza, as it dictates oven spring, crispiness and browning/charring.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 06:06:39 AM »
Nice digs.

Any more information on the oven? Is it a BP Forno Classico? Does it have a brick ceiling?

Knowing what I know about Baker's pride and vintage Blodgetts, I was going to say that there might be a learning curve and that the BP might not be as balanced, but, if it has a brick ceiling and 140K BTU, I think the BP might end up outperforming the Blodgett. The Blodgett has more raw power, but the BP, if it has a brick ceiling, might be a bit better balanced at higher temps. I'm curious to see how you like working with it.

The brick ceiling, if it's anything like the Marsal, should require less turning.

Beyond providing a formula, you're providing oven management counseling as well, right? The bake time is especially critical for most styles of pizza, as it dictates oven spring, crispiness and browning/charring.

Thanks everyone! We feel the love!  Walter

Scott:  Yes it has a brick lined ceiling and they are running it at 500.  The oven below it is a standard deck oven with only 1 burner.  They don't use it- the stone is untouched.  I look forward to trying it as well.  I spoke with the head chef yesterday and she is afraid to try my dough recipe.  She will try my suggestion to use cold tap water and ball/refrigerate immediately after mixing.   Their dough is completly blown out by the time they use it from what I saw the other day.  She has too many unskilled pizza makers and her dough, although nothing you or I would eat, works good enough for them to sell about 300 16" pies a day during lunch, diner, and after hours in the evening.  Here is my quick take on their process. They mix the dough with 110 degree water, then let it rise for 30 minutes, ball it, wrap it in plastic film on full sheet trays and refrigerate it overnight.  then about 10am they use rolling pins to shape the dough, top it and put it on a pizza pan and refrigerate until they use it.  Yesterday I was there around 2pm and the all the dough was sheeted, topped, refrigerated.  The crust was dried out.   They are just starting out here and feeding 2,000 students 3 meals a day.  They had to hire the existing staff many of whom have been working for the previous vendor for 20 years.  That operation was a pure reheat frozen, boil, and no real cooking/baking/pizza making.  They had no pizza oven.  It was frozen pizza reheated in convection ovens.   So, the chef is pretty overwhelmed and not very knowledgable in dough.  I am going to lay low after talking further with the chef and teach Paige in their system.   We agreed that once things in the kitchen get more in a groove it would be good to rethink the dough system. They use all trumps so that is good.  I am not going to touch the oven temp issue either for now.  I did suggest they get an oven scaper/broom.  The stones are really gunked and I suggested they run it at 650 for a few hours to clean it and I will mention that while it is at 650 throw a pizza in and see what happens..........  Walter
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 06:15:00 AM by waltertore »

Offline scott123

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 07:28:03 AM »
Walter, it sounds a bit like the Head of Operations wants your help, but the Head Chef might be happy with the status quo.  Was the Head Chef able to get a taste of the pizza you brought over with the bagels?  If not, I would make that a priority.

I don't know how many weekends you were planning on helping out, but it sounds like this could involve more than a couple.  Whenever you're dealing with altering pizza in a production setting- especially altering a product to this extent, with unskilled workers and with a chef that might not be all that open to change, you need to go very slowly.

Full Strength is better than All Trumps, btw- especially in the hands of unskilled workers who might have a tendency to overwork the dough. If you overwork AT, you've got shoe leather.  Overworking Full Strength, on the other hand, is no big deal.

You have your work cut out for you. As wonderful as it is for Paige to be employed, it would be disappointing if she ended up making pizza that she wasn't proud of. I have no doubt that making your pizza/baked goods and the pride that it entails is a big motivating force for her.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:33 AM »
Walter, it sounds a bit like the Head of Operations wants your help, but the Head Chef might be happy with the status quo.  Was the Head Chef able to get a taste of the pizza you brought over with the bagels?  If not, I would make that a priority.

I don't know how many weekends you were planning on helping out, but it sounds like this could involve more than a couple.  Whenever you're dealing with altering pizza in a production setting- especially altering a product to this extent, with unskilled workers and with a chef that might not be all that open to change, you need to go very slowly.

Full Strength is better than All Trumps, btw- especially in the hands of unskilled workers who might have a tendency to overwork the dough. If you overwork AT, you've got shoe leather.  Overworking Full Strength, on the other hand, is no big deal.

You have your work cut out for you. As wonderful as it is for Paige to be employed, it would be disappointing if she ended up making pizza that she wasn't proud of. I have no doubt that making your pizza/baked goods and the pride that it entails is a big motivating force for her.

scott:  Thanks for all the support!  Yes, everyone from dishwasher to head man has tried our pies and loved them.  When we brought a few up yesterday they came running like it was free money falling out of our pockets :)  The problem is the head chef is overwhelmed.  This is a brand new construction (3 dining halls), probably a hundred workers that are unskilled, and a 1/2 dozen or so trained high end chefs.  They were real excited to try our dough but once I talked the process they freaked.  They are going to use cold tap water and cut the 30 minute bench rise.  I will tred lightly with this and maybe down the road we will have them making a better pie.  Paige is just happy to have a job.  I am working on finding funding to hire her on when she graduates.   We have a union shop and the unemployment rate is so high here that there are dozens of school employees that have been laid off and they get first crack at any new job opening.  My full time aide position was eliminated this year as well so getting her in here is going to take a out of the box approach.  I figure she needs about 10k a year.  That will keep her under the limit so her monthly social security check for her disability will not be cut.   She has medical, so all I need to do is find a benefactor(s) to donate her salary.  I have takled higher mountains and have faith it will all work out.   Money is a pain.  I wish I had enough to hire, house, feed, people like her.   I will have more to report on the pizza scene this weekend.   I also told them about full strenght and over mixing AT.  You turned me on to FS and I love it for the bit of puff it puts in the dough.  I was a dyed in the wool AT guy for years.  I will try AT again soon just for the heck of it.  We use it for our bagels.  Thanks!  Walter
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:31:20 PM by waltertore »

Offline landras

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »
I am very inspired by your work, Walter!  I just wish that there are more people like you out there who is actually doing it.  Congratulations! 

Marlon

^^^

What you are doing is awesome!! thanks for sharing

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 06:22:46 AM »
Walter
What you do with pizza is amazing, but, to ME, the breads you put out are spectacular.........just incredible.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Walter
What you do with pizza is amazing, but, to ME, the breads you put out are spectacular.........just incredible.

thanks guys.  I rarely am getting to make bread anymore.   Not enough people will buy it ($3 a loaf) direct from our bakery.  In my village there is only 1 farmily run grocery store.  They sell to a affluent customer base and would carry our breads but getting them there everyday is something I haven't figured out yet.   I am off this morning to job coach page.  I am bringing my camera and hopefully will get some pictures.  Walter

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 05:43:35 PM »
This morning I joined Paige to help her transition to her new job as a pizza maker at one of Denison University's student cafeterias.   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:23:21 PM by waltertore »

Offline VarunS

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
Amazing stuff  :)

You are a good man! Wish you the very best in all you do

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »
thanks!   Paige ended the weekend on a high note.  The head chef was so impressed with her work skills/ethic that she will be working everyday for a total of 40 hours a week .  She has already blocked several male aquaintences from her cell phone and is telling the troubled group she hangs with that she no longer can hang because she has to work.   Her next goal is to get her drivers license and eventually, upon graduation this year, get her own apt in Granville.  She lives in Newark and is terrified by all the sex offenders that live around her.  SHe has a map on her phone that gives their addresses.   In Granville she can walk in peace and just get hellos and smiles.   She currently lives in a very dangerous area seeped in drugs, alcohol, violence, and Granville, which is only 6 miles away is like Mayberry.   We will see how she holds up working 7 days a week at Denison and 5 days a week going to school.   For most kids this would be too much.  But for a kid like her it is a gift to get away from her life in the hood as they say. Plus she is probably the highest paid high school student we have at our school.  The principals, teachers, and superintendent, all are making a big deal out of this and all have come in to congragulate her.   Walter
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 06:28:55 PM by waltertore »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »
Walter,

You are a rare and special person. Your thoughts and dreams, while diffuse and wonderful, do not get in the way of your bold and definite actions which have led, and will continue to lead to the inspirational story that is just beginning for and with Paige as she enters into this new phase of her life.

We all know that she would not be here on this threshold were it not for you!!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »
Paige came in today with brand new jordan sneakers.  She paid over$100 for them.  The sad news is they are way too small- she is limping they are squezzing so tight.  She went with her father, who is very low functioning, and he said they fit right.  I told her to take them home and clean them real good and we can go as a class on Friday and get the right size.  This is so typical of the population I work with.  They need help on so many levels..........   Anyway, she sure is proud to have purchased shoes with her own money.  That is the main thing and I  have to let go of what I can't control.  Walter
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:15:01 PM by waltertore »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
Walter,

That's really cool! Hopefully the place where she bought them will be reasonable and allow an exchange! Keep us updated!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline derricktung

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
Congrats to you and Paige on a successful mentorship and landing a key path in life to help pull her out of a very tough lifestyle, respectively.  The work you've done with your students is amazing, and it's always great to hear of people giving back and helping the community in such a way!

My one critique is... $100 for shoes?!  I guess everyone has their splurges.  ;)  I personally cringe when I have to pay more than $75 for my dress shoes for work... and I've got a pretty healthy salary as a healthcare consultant. 

Perhaps the next lesson is teaching Paige how to budget and manage her finances for future success?

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
Will do John!

derrick:  I agree spending $100 on shoes is a lot of money.  I spend $130 on my running shoes.  Sneakers are not cheap anymore.    I go gently in this area because if my ideas get back home, which they often do, can lead to all kinds of trouble.  Most parents of my students are cognitively delayed and often live off their and their childrens monthly social security check.  To mess with that, by offering advice to my students on how to manage thier money, brings a nasty wrath that often leads to a total disconnect between me and them.  So, this is a very complicated area and I don't want to mess things up for Paige.   I do suggest she saves at least 50% of her check but who really knows what goes on at home? ..  Thanks for your support! 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:22:14 PM by waltertore »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
Her shoes stretched and they fit fine.  It is great to see a kid that never had a dime in her pocket have some control over her destiny.  Walter

pizzapan