Author Topic: Do you have experience baking with charcoal  (Read 2469 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: Do you have experience baking with charcoal
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
Alasdair, thanks for  sharing your 00 experience.
Bert,

Offline jhrcdn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »
Thanks, what is the diameter of the kamado?

MPO bottom foot print is about 17"x17" it will sit on top of a 22.5" webber. Mpo corners About 1/2" over lap. My thought for the webber is to design my charcoal basket to hangs under MPO.

Interesting... especially on the webber charcoal basket. I'm really interested in how you'll do that!

The Primo XL is 25" wide (really wide for a kamado) but "only" 18" deep--so it might just fit, especially with one of the top grills removed (I assume there's some height there).

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
MPO will fit inside 25" diameter. It should sit on kamado grates. What is the distance between top grates and charcoal grates? What is the diameter of the charcoal grates?

The basket is simple and easy to make and cheap.
Bert,

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »
Gene, I did try forced fan in another setup, where I built a custom charcoal box.  I didn 't like using the fan, it blew ashes and made the charcoal burn faster. But I do have a design in mind to introduce air into burning coal and prevent ashes from flying. And potentially use a cheaper version of stoker to have multiple heat setting.

In the setup I shown in this post, I am trying to come up with a method or adaptor to allow using MPO on any charcoal grill by just using charcoal.

I hope that make sense.

This has been talked about before but, you have seen the fan "blades" of a circulation fan on a convection oven, right?  Not mutch of a blade the way I thought it would be....  The blades that I have seen are relatively flat, not much angle to them, really don't move alot of air.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 02:38:32 PM »
I just used a battery powered fan not very powerfull. Still made some ash to fly.
Bert,

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 03:23:19 PM »
If you wanted to tech up, you could do something similar to the "BBQ Guru" computer controlled blowers for pits and grills. These are really meant for "low'n'slow", however there's no reason something like that couldn't be adapted for "fast'n'hot".

A PID based controller with a probe for the air temperature and a forced air blower would probably do an awesome job of keeping constant temperatures. Supplying enough air to the coals to keep the exact temperature, without getting too hot.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
If you wanted to tech up, you could do something similar to the "BBQ Guru" computer controlled blowers for pits and grills. These are really meant for "low'n'slow", however there's no reason something like that couldn't be adapted for "fast'n'hot".

A PID based controller with a probe for the air temperature and a forced air blower would probably do an awesome job of keeping constant temperatures. Supplying enough air to the coals to keep the exact temperature, without getting too hot.

I am considering something similar for my other charcoal setup, but it add more complexity to the design, and may not add that much more benefits. It is hard to tell till I try it. I have located all the materials, low on cash and time to implement. My other design utilizes natural air draft.
Bert,

Offline jhrcdn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 12:39:51 PM »
MPO will fit inside 25" diameter. It should sit on kamado grates. What is the distance between top grates and charcoal grates? What is the diameter of the charcoal grates?

The basket is simple and easy to make and cheap.

Hi Bert,

I'd have to measure the distance to get a precise answer, but in the primo XL oval, there are (up to) four grates:

--the charcoal grates are at the very bottom, maybe 3" off the floor (where ash collects and air comes in). They're probably only 16" wide
--the plate grates are 4" above that. Typically, on a full firebox, the charcoal level comes just about to these grates (within an inch)--that's where I was thinking an MPO might fit...
--the cooking grates are 4" above these lower grates.
--You can also stack another grate on top of that (an additional 4 inches)

So you have some options--from "cave man" cooking a steak over coals to using the dome (which is lower than a BGE overall.... makes it more interesting for pizzas.

The cooking grates themselves aren't round so don't have a diameter per se. They're about 12 * 17.5 each (split for a the total grill coverage).

Don't know if this helps or not :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:42:10 PM by jhrcdn »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »
Thanks, your description very clear. When making pizza, have you tried placing charcoal on the midle grates at each side of the oval?
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 09:50:05 PM »
SUCCESS....

Here's few pics of today pies using MPO with charcoal on my Aussie charcoal grill from Acadamy.

I used 100 charcoal briquettes (1 1/2 charcoal chimney),  I baked 5 pies, withing 50 minutes plus 10 minutes to heat up MPO. MPO temp was in the low 500 after 1.5 hours.

Bake time ranged from 2 minutes to 3.5 minutes (last pie). I had to remove bottom stone before my third pie to cool it off a bit.

I used a charcoal organizer to stratigically place my charcoal. It should work on any charcoal grill.

4th pie - Kroger private selection pepperoni
5th pie - Zucchini, cherry tomato, fresh moz, tomato sauce

I will post few pics tomorrow

Moving on to next challenge...
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 10:43:28 PM »
the other 3 pies

Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
What is the distance between cooking grates and charcoal grates on weber 22.5. I like to design a mod for  MPO that fit weber 22.5, similar to the one I built here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27689.0.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 09:22:29 AM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
Bert, here is what I have learned up to this point.

Briquettes are ideal for grilling or bbq.  They burn more steadily, and maintain peak BTUs much longer than natural lump.

Lump burns cleaner and hotter, producing far less ash.  Your peak BTUs will be higher, but you sacrifice time.  Additionally, Kingsford and others put questionable binders and fillers into the charcoal during production.  Natural lump is just that, natural.  Royal Oak is the standard, and can be found usually at WalMart.  Big Green Egg branded charcoal is Royal Oak, with a higher price tag.  For baking, lump is great.  A nice subtle, wood flavor.  Briquettes  impart a much stronger charcoal flavor, ideal for big chunks of meat, not bread or baked goods which easily absorb it.  You can take it a step further with higher quality lumps like Wicked Good, Ozark Oak, Chigger Creek, Ono, etc.  Often times they use specific species of wood to burn down to lump.  The Royal Oak is usually natural scrap wood. 

Here is a valuable link to an egger's lump review database, because there are differences in quality.  Sparks, ash production, size of pieces, burn times, flavor, etc.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:52:16 AM by Pook »
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 09:39:35 PM »
Pook, thank you for sharing your charcola knowlege. For my oven, I prefer using briquettes, due to their predictible  size and long consistent heat. 

As time permits I will try some of the high rated lumps indicated on the link you shared.

Also, I am looking into kingsford competetion briquettes, supposably burn hotter with less ash.
Bert,

Offline Pook

• Brandon
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 11:29:23 PM »
No problem.  Maybe you could combine the two charcoal types, giving you the best of both.  Start with a nice base of lit briquettes, and add lump before launching each pie or two.  Lump charcoal does not take long to peak.
"And let us not grow weary in doing good: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."  Galations 6:9

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
Pook, thanks for the tip, I will try it.

I am trying to improve my charcoal convenience factor with MPO.

Part of the the reason I designed MPO is to make my home pizza making more convenient. I started with propane since I had negligible experience with charcoal and owned gas grill. 

Now, I am getting more experienced with charcoal, the convenience gap between propane and charcoal is getting really slim using on my setup. I can easily bake 4 or five pies without adding any additional charcoal and still grill with remaining heat. For those who are looking to improve bake time or have extra char, your tip comes handy.

Each heat source has pluses and minuses. I do like the quick start that propane offer. I also like the portability charcoal offer (I noticed slightly better taste with charcoal). In general I like both and best of all I can use both with my oven.
Bert,

pizzapan