Author Topic: Black and Decker oven  (Read 653 times)

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
Black and Decker oven
« on: September 10, 2013, 09:59:53 PM »
My counter top Nemco deck oven takes 1 hour to heat to 500f.

It was late last night. I took a dough ball out of the refrigerator and thought I turned on the oven. An hour later I return to the kitchen, dough ball was ready to make a skin but the oven is off. ummm

I had alway want to try my $80  Black and Decker counter convection oven but no stone. Now is my chance.

It took 5 minutes to preheat to the maximum temperature, 450F. Very good.

My confidence was low but
I made a 12 pizza on a lloyds pan and direct on the rack.
At 9 minutes the cheese is bubbling and starting to show a little color on the back side of the oven, away from the single layer glass door. I rotated the pizza 180 and looked at the snow white bottom. I removed the pan. Pizza direct on the rack.
At about 12 minutes the top was finished and much to my surprise the bottom was nice brown.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
Re: Black and Decker oven
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:12:59 AM »
Lunch is served!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
Sonny,

I liked your experiment and your pizza looks very good baked in your Black and Decker convection oven. 

I recently was doing some hydration tests on on parts of dough balls and found out my really old Black and Decker toaster/broiler small oven can get to 550 degrees or hotter.  I didn't try to make any pizzas in it though, but posted about how hot it got and that made me think that might be a good oven to try a pizza in.  :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
Mine is digital and 450F is the max the program allows. You can see by the info I could not balance the heat from the bottom and top. that is why I took the pizza off the pan and direct on the rack. tomorrow I will try parchment paper. The heat will be better transferred  and maybe I will have to do nothing more but bake.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:19:13 PM »
I have the identical oven.  The Lodge 10.5 inch round griddle will fit in the oven, just barely.  http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/grill-pans-and-griddles/round-griddle-L9OG3 

You can start your bake the stove top (lightly oiled pan) and then transfer it to the toaster oven for finishing the top.  You'll have to experiment with the timing.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline sonny.eymann

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
I just did again but used parchment paper with the same results.

At 9 minutes I pull the parchment paper. very easy to do,

At 12 minutes pizza was finished

Looking at my photos, the color on the bottom  cooked on the pan was more even.

Both pizza were great.

the convection fan was on with both bakes

Conclusion: the heat up time was so quick that it is a good option for a quick 12" pizza.

Offline brost1973

• I Love Pizza!
    • The Best Toaster Oven Reviews
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 11:11:13 AM »
Black and Decker is really one of the best toaster oven brands on the market. Actually, most of the countertop toaster oven can only heat up to 450F, which is enough for baking a good pizza.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »

Both pizza were great.

the convection fan was on with both bakes

Conclusion: the heat up time was so quick that it is a good option for a quick 12" pizza.
Those pies look better than I expected.  Nice job!  I'm lovin that convection.  It seems to me that toaster oven is crying for a square/rectangular pie.  Maybe a rectangular Chi thin, Sicillian, or Detroit.

As it turns out, those things are easy to mod.  Won't likely work well for neo, but plenty of delicious alternatives.  Just sayin.

Dave