Author Topic: my first attempt..  (Read 116 times)

Offline adventureboy

• I Love Pizza!
my first attempt..
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:08:28 AM »
well, I carefully measured and used the lehman NY dough recipe from the beginners thread, I allowed the dough to sit for 2 days almost in refridgerator, and I made a sauce from canned tomatoes, mixed italian herbs and garlic, salt and black pepper, topping was fresh sliced mozzarella and pepperoni slices. I don't have a stone so I cooked in a tin, approx 15 mins in my gas oven at top heat pre-heated for an hour.  First of all, as you can see from the shape i had a few dough issues i will explain in a second. In terms of taste and texture though in the bits where it was ok, the dough had a nice crispy 'squeak' when you bite in and the dough inside was soft with a nice chew. My wife happily ate half and said it was really nice, 100% better than anything previous disaster I'd attempted.
some problems I ran into maybe some of you can help address:

Dough was still  a bit sticky and a bit gooey clinging to the container as I tipped it out and stuck to the surface occasionaly as I shaped it.
Whilst shaping there was some resistance as it attempted to re-coil or spring back to centre. I thought it should stretch easier.
Surface was very thin in places and one hole that I patched up (is this a handworking/shaping technique issue?)
A little sloppy in middle on those thin bits( I think too much sauce too?? and fresh mozarella, I'll used dried grated next time.)

One last thing, I have some strong bread flour and IDY left. Can you recommend another dough ball I can  mix up tonight for my next attempt, perhaps one that's more compatible with using a tin tray like mine to cook on.  Kind thanks

Rob :)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: my first attempt..
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:12:19 AM »
You're probably not going to get a properly baked NY pizza in that "tin".  You may want to try something like thin Chicago pizza (maybe Garvey's crust)  OR something like a Pizzarium/Detroit/Spumoni Gardens/Sicilian pizza (doughs are roughly similar and thicker).  Those styles do well in pans.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline adventureboy

• I Love Pizza!
Re: my first attempt..
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
You're probably not going to get a properly baked NY pizza in that "tin".  You may want to try something like thin Chicago pizza (maybe Garvey's crust)  OR something like a Pizzarium/Detroit/Spumoni Gardens/Sicilian pizza (doughs are roughly similar and thicker).  Those styles do well in pans.

Thanks so much for the reply. I'll check those recipes out now. :)

pizzapan