Author Topic: What is an easy same-day dough that kids can make, opens easily etc.  (Read 292 times)

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

• Supporting Member
My wife does a camp for 23 kids here at home, the last day the idea is the kids will make their own pizza that will get baked in a wfo and they can share with their mom or whoever picks them up.

So, basically I'm looking for a dough recipe that doesn't even have to taste good, but is easy for kids to make, knead, rises in a few hours and then is easy to open, doesn't tear, not too elastic.

I'm thinking that dough that gets used in acrobatic pizza making is what I'm looking for, but I might be mistaken? :pizza:

Thanks!

c

Offline TXCraig1

Re: What is an easy same-day dough that kids can make, opens easily etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
How old are the kids?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
Kids are between 4 and 12, the small ones will get a hand where needed.

Thanks for the link Pete

I added the AP to give the dough some strength for the short window of fermentation.

Is this 'strength' as in elasticity?
I figured out AP flour is all purpose flour, but here (Belgium)we don't have all purpose flour, or we do, but we just call it 'flour'. Or is there a difference and if so is there a characteristic I should be looking for in a replacement?

Thank you.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the link Pete

Is this 'strength' as in elasticity?
I figured out AP flour is all purpose flour, but here (Belgium)we don't have all purpose flour, or we do, but we just call it 'flour'. Or is there a difference and if so is there a characteristic I should be looking for in a replacement?

Thank you.
c,

I'm not sure exactly what John had in mind but I believe that he wanted the dough to have some "body" since the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour is a very finely milled flour made from soft wheat whereas a typical all-purpose flour in the U.S is milled to a lower grade from hard wheat or a blend of hard and soft wheat. From a protein comparison standpoint, the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour has a rated protein value of 11.5-12.5% whereas a typical all-purpose flour in the U.S. has a protein content of about 10.5-11.7%. Also, the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour is unmalted whereas a typical all-purpose flour in the U.S will be malted although there are a few unmalted varieties. Apparently John was able to bake his pizzas in his WFO with the particular flour blend he used without experiencing problems.

If you have Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour where you are in Belgium, you might be able to find a local flour with similar characteristics as a U.S. all-purpose flour to blend with the Caputo flour. This may require adjusting the hydration value to achieve the desired finished condition of the dough. And, depending on the room temperature where you are in Belgium, you may need to adjust the amount of yeast.

Hopefully other members who have WFOs and work with 00 flours might have suggestions for you based on their own experiences.

You mentioned the possibility of an acrobatic dough. As discussed at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22574.msg229322#msg229322, acrobatic doughs are typically made from high gluten flour and contain large amounts of salt (close to 4% is typical). That makes such doughs unsuitable for making pizzas that are to be eaten.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »
I think a dough with 75%-100% Caputo Pizzeria or similar '00' flour would be a good choice as it will likely be easier for the kiddos to open.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan