Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi, San Diego (Golden Hill)  (Read 136 times)

Online jsaras

• Supporting Member
Pizzeria Luigi, San Diego (Golden Hill)
« on: August 03, 2014, 09:56:48 AM »
The following is my Yelp review and it was written for a general audience:

The parking was very difficult to come by.  We had to circle several blocks until we finally found a spot.

We got there at about 5:30, just at the front end of a rush.  We decided to order an entire Capone pizza to go (pepperoni, sausage and meatball).  They were quick to fulfill everyone else's slice orders while we waited 50 minutes for our pizza.

The ambience sucks unless your idea of relaxing music is skate punk music, "ride a skateboard, kill a cop...raaahhhrrr...".  The skate punks have also clearly made their mark with copious graffitti in the restroom.  The restaurant has no air conditioning.  Two pizza ovens in a closed room on a hot and humid day nearly gave our 2 year old heat exhaustion.

So after we endured all that, how was the pizza?  It's a decent representation of a NY street slice and it was tasty.  I've had better proteins on my pizza elsewhere, but the argument could be made that they're making a different style of pizza.  They use Pendleton Power Flour, a very high protein/high gluten flour.  It allows them to stretch the dough very thin, but it is quite chewy.  I prefer a little less chew.  The sauce and cheese, the fundamental parts of the pie, were both spot on.

So I'll give four stars for the pizza and subtract one star for the rest of the experience.

Now for the non-Yelp observations.  The pizza maker was working like a mad-man.  He began stretching each pizza on the counter, then onto his fists, eventually stretching it to one of his elbows and ending it with a toss onto the peel. In the Pizzeria Luigi clone thread there was speculation as to whether the hydration was 58 or 63% (Pendleton Power Flour).  Perhaps the stretch will provide a clue.

The employee at the cash register, not necessarily the most reliable source, said that they bake at 600 degrees and that a large pizza takes 8-10 minutes (Blodgett ovens).
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
Re: Pizzeria Luigi, San Diego (Golden Hill)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:15:20 AM »
All in all I agree with you, the pizza is good (but not as good as a slice from Bronx pizza -- by a long shot, IMHO).