Author Topic: St. Francis Of A Pizza - My FGM 950C  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Pizzaddict

St. Francis Of A Pizza - My FGM 950C
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »
I finally have an operating WFO...a FGM 950C from Antoine at breadstoneovens.com!

I have been a pizza fanatic since my first visit to Sardinia in 1981.  I used to go to Decimomannu twice a year (military deployment) and fell in love with wood fired pizza at Lorelei's restaurant.  I'll never forget when the pizzaiolo put a thick Coke bottle in the oven and pulled it out a few minutes later and it was wilting!

I started a patio restoration project this summer and installed a WFO.  I can't take credit for most of the work, but at least, I did design the project.  I want to thank Antoine for patiently answering all my questions!  John (JConk007) sold me a very nice set of GI Tools and he was very helpful with some great suggestions to get me started.  Also, I appreciate the help, suggestions, and build threads from many of you on the forum, especially  Reep, ForrestM, and Tscarborough.

We've had a few devasting fires in my area the last two summers, so I've been extra cautious making sure the design is as safe as possible.  Colorado is typically windy as well, so I had a fire screen designed to cover the opening when I am bringing the oven up to temp...it works great!  The project is not quite complete, but the oven is done and fully cured!

We debated whether to get the "raised dome" option that Antoine offers and decided that would make the oven more versatile.  Neapolitan is my favorite style, but the oven will be great for many other cooking adventures.  My first "bake" after curing was Sunday night with floor/dome temps of 860/910 and I was very happy with the results!  I'll post a few pics of my initial attempt at Neapolitan cooking in that area of the forum.

I am fortunate to have the beautiful convent of Mount St. Francis and the St. Francis of Assisi church down the hill behind my property.  When my son saw the framing for our pizza oven, he said, "That looks like a church, we should call it the St. Francis Of A Pizza oven."  So with no disrespect to the Franciscans, here are some pics of "St. Francis Of A Pizza." (BTW, the Ponderosa Pine in the second picture does lean a little bit, but this camera angle exaggerates the lean...no danger of falling...yet!)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:43:43 PM by Pizzaddict »

Offline Pizzaddict

Re: St. Francis Of A Pizza
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:54:53 PM »
More...

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:01:28 PM »
Last pics...first pizza was a Caputo dough (pear, gorgonzola, and balsamic glaze) that was supposed to be 57 percent hydration.  Due to a "communication error" with my wife, she added 200grams of water to the dough, instead of our starter, while it was mixing.  So, it was a 77 percent hydration dough!  BTW, we cooked our first attempt at sourdough bread the morning after the oven finished curing...oven was 500 and the bread tasted great.  The oven was still 400 degrees 48 hours after cooking at 850-900.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:05:40 PM by Pizzaddict »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »
Simply awesome and a beautiful pie!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
Simply awesome and a beautiful pie!

Thank you Craig...a compliment from you on my first pie!!!  I still have a ton to learn and I appreciate all the great information you provide on the forum!

Offline meatboy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »
wow, great pie, awesome oven + outdoor kitchen, beautiful environment!

Well done Sir

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Re: St. Francis Of A Pizza - My FGM 950C
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
I simply love how your kitchen set-up looks, elegant, simple yet you have everything you will need. With the Rocky Mountains in the back, it is stunning!

As I said in my email, the pizza are fantastic and the toppings inspiring. 

Looking forward to more!

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:58:54 PM »
Another Happy WFO owner Love It !  great setting love these build threads  very inspirational to many.
thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:24 PM »
Congratulations on the oven build! Beautiful, picturesque backdrop...wow. The pie looks superb, as well!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline csafranek

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 07:04:09 AM »
That looks great! What is your dimension for the base of your oven?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »
Very nice all around.  Congrats.

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 12:41:56 PM »
That looks great! What is your dimension for the base of your oven?

Thanks!  We made the base 64"w x 60"d.  We made it larger than it needed to be both for aesthetics and I also wanted to add a lot of insulation inside the enclosure.  We poured a lot of loose vermiculite and perlite into the enclosure.  Seems to work well as the oven was still 400 degrees 48 hours after cooking at 850-900.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 01:37:38 PM »
Thank you for the pictures! Very nice oven and backyard.

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »
Thank you for the pictures! Very nice oven and backyard.

Thank you!  I was concerned a bit about my chimney cap, but the oven is bone dry after three days of record rain in Colorado and still 210 degrees five days after I last used it!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:58:32 PM by Pizzaddict »

Offline landras

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 01:44:56 PM »
congrats! very nice set up!! love it, and  that background will make the pizza experience 1000 times better!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
Pizzaddict,

How are things going with your FGM 950?  I remember admiring your design and was hoping to see some more pizza pics from this oven.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate so that you can use it soon?

Looking forward to some pictures  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »
Having some friends over next Sunday, July 20th.  I was fortunate enough to meet Neil Armstrong once.  In honor of the 45th anniversary of the first lunar landing, I made a themed menu...

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »
How fun! Love the names, I look forward to some pictures  :)

Offline Pizzaddict

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 12:33:48 AM »
Here are the pics Antoine!  Same order as the menu I posted (skipped the Neapolitan pepperoni, calzone, and dessert pics).  My son took the photos, he likes the low angle.  We had a great time with 16 people.  Only two knew it was the 45th anniversary of the first moon landing.  Most of the pizzas are Neapolitan style with Caputo.  Although they were all great, I need to learn to use less amount on the toppings.

Last photo is New York style pepperoni after the oven cooled down to the mid 600's.

BTW,  I'm open to any hints on how to get guests involved in helping!   ;)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:43:31 AM by Pizzaddict »

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 08:09:15 AM »
BTW,  I'm open to any hints on how to get guests involved in helping!   ;)

The pizza look great, thank you for the pictures.

For the guests to help, I simply set-up all the dough and toppings and tell them, if you want pizza make it yourself  :-D
I show one person and walk away. Took me a few time to actually get to that point where I was not trying to do it for them  :'(
Pretty scary when you often end-up with a pizza up-side down in your oven .... but it is nothing I have done before  ;)