Author Topic: What's wrong with this idea?  (Read 6358 times)

Offline model77

• I Love Pizza!
What's wrong with this idea?
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
I'm pondering opening a pizza shop in the near future. This site has opened my eyes to the fact that i know very little about the science of good pizza making but I'm still confident I can outperform my competition which is pizza hut, papa john's, little ceasers etc.

What I am questioning is my concept. It's not so ground breaking that I can believe I am the first to think of it, but I am not aware of anyone else doing it. So this begs the question...what am I missing? Why won't it work?

My idea is a build your own pizza buffet style set up. They pick a dough, sauce it, and choose their own toppings. the cashier rings them up and hands it over to the kitchen. they can then have a seat and wait for thier number to be called. I would offer personal pies only so each person can have the fun of making their own, and strive to create a fun family environment.

There you have the broad strokes. Do you see a reason this concept would fail??  Thanks to all who reply  :)

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: What's wrong with this idea?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »
There was a Seinfeld episode about a similar idea...........

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26534.0

;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:08:16 PM »
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:20:51 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »
Modell 77, I am having a hard time with the logistics of "They pick a dough, sauce it."
Please explain!

Craig, Thanks for that link, I knew I had seen it before and was going to search but now.......

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline lennyk

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:06:45 PM »

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »
It should work as long as you stay in California. :)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
I think it would work next to just about any college.

Offline model77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:43:52 AM »
Modell 77, I am having a hard time with the logistics of "They pick a dough, sauce it."
Please explain!

Craig, Thanks for that link, I knew I had seen it before and was going to search but now.......

Mark

First of all thank you, everyone, for your reply's. I'm especially excited to learn of the existence of five pie and that their franchise seems to be booming.

Logistics:
I'm looking for a fairly small place with an open floor plan (think Quiznos or SUbway type shop.) The kitchen would be visible behind the counter so it's easy to promote the freshness factor (no freezer or microwave.) I will start the buffet line with a fridge that they select their own pre-stretched dough from. they then move down the line spreading their own sauce and adding thier own cheese and toppings. The cash register will be at the end of the line so they can pay and have thier pizza placed in line for the oven. There will also be a cookie line where they pick a dough and add in thier selected fillings. I'm not sure, yet, how to keep things clean. Do I need to offer gloves? Maybe just have some paper towels and hand sanitizer at the end of the line? Will the spoons and tongs get slimy?

I'm in a college town with a large university and 2 community colleges. I'm not sure how to set up the decor so that it appeals to the college students but will also have the children begging mom and dad to take them to the "build your own pizza place."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:46:06 AM by model77 »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
OK, so you are willing to accept pies that are over dressed . I can see the logic in letting them choose their own toppings, but having pre stretched dough in a cooler, I don't think is necessary or advisable and if you want them to have a product that is repeatably excellent, I would not allow them to dress the pie. My mind could be changed but for now those are my feelings.

Mark

Offline model77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »
OK, so you are willing to accept pies that are over dressed . I can see the logic in letting them choose their own toppings, but having pre stretched dough in a cooler, I don't think is necessary or advisable and if you want them to have a product that is repeatably excellent, I would not allow them to dress the pie. My mind could be changed but for now those are my feelings.

Mark

I understand and share your concerns. I have had frightful visions of customers building weird combinations and blaming me when they come out poorly.  If they bring a pizza back and request it be replaced I could require that the replacement be made by one of my guys and come from the menu. I also know i would be bound to get that college smart allic every once in a while that will pile toppings a foot high unless I put some kind of guideline on that.

When I go out for Hibachi it is as much about the experience as it is the food (though it would not be worth it if the food wasn't great too.) Of course I want to provide an great product, but I am hoping to balance that with a great experience. I want people to say I'm hungry let's go to "X" but I also want them to say "I'm bored," or "I promised the kids we would do something fun today, let's go to "X"

Can that balance be found? I'm going to be honest, and I don't want to be misunderstood, because I do want to make the best pizza in town. The fact is the best pizza in my town would not hold a candle to NY, and I'm okay with that. At least to start.

the second you said it I realized dough in the cooler is a bad idea. It would dry and develop a skin. I'll have to think of a solution for that. I wonder if brushing it with oil would be excessive. Or Maybe leave it in balls and provide a press for them to use. I don't expect letting the customer hand stretch would go well.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 02:37:53 PM by model77 »

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »
I think that as soon as you let the customers mess with the dough, it's a recipe for disaster. So you need the prestretched skins. In pans or on screens or you will get too many fails on launching after people screw around with it. That then gives you the whole headache of how to store it.

To be honest, I'm not sure that the bonus of letting people choose their own toppings and amounts will outweigh the downsides. Why not just have a pizzaolo behind the counter stretch the ball for them, then add cheese, sauce and toppings but completely under their direction? That prevents all the potential clusters that could occur if you actually let them touch the dough or ingredients, and gives a bit more theatre to the whole event. Same thing, but the customer doesn't get their hands dirty and you don't get any mutant pies to put in the oven. All the showmanship and choice, none of the hassles. Bespoke pizza.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 06:18:17 AM »
model
I have to agree...if customers are allowed to sauce and cheese their own skins...you will be overwhelmingly dealing with way too much sauce and cheese.   First, most people are unaware just how little sauce is needed for a pizza.....AND they will, almost to the man, try and "get their money's worth".  This will lead to a huge number of pies coming out "soupy".  AND, if I know customers the way I do, they will blame the lousy pie on.....YOU.

As Craig pointed out, you concept is basically the hottest pizza concept right now.......a FAST CASUAL pizza place.  I also agree that 800* is the poster boy for a well done version of this concept. (They are however, expanding AND adding groceries AND an old style italian deli to their menu).

AND, Craig ALSO was correct is saying that all these places seem to be on the west coast.  I've looked into the idea....and frankly, i don't know if it would fly here in New England.  Too many Italians, too many good pizza places. But, I admit, people seem to be open to the idea.  BUT, give some serious thought to letting customers getting involved in production.....and I don't even want to THINK about the health department overreactions.

Nick
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:33:54 AM by gabaghool »

Offline model77

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 12:16:36 PM »
You guys are killing my darling. I figured there was a reason this had not already been done. I had already thought of most of the problems your pointing out, but your making it clear they may be more serious than I had thought.

I suppose I could portion out the sauce and cheese. Maybe I am overvaluing how important the act of letting them build it themselves would be. Maybe I can add in entertainment factors in other ways.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 04:34:32 PM »
You guys are killing my darling. I figured there was a reason this had not already been done. I had already thought of most of the problems your pointing out, but your making it clear they may be more serious than I had thought.

I suppose I could portion out the sauce and cheese. Maybe I am overvaluing how important the act of letting them build it themselves would be. Maybe I can add in entertainment factors in other ways.

Pink elephants in tutus might work !

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »

Come on.....it's pizza.Most people don't want to build it themselves. They just want to pay a few bucks and get fed. People that are willing to pay more, want to have a real pro make it for them anyway. I can't think of a premium price scenario where people will pay more to make food themselves. Other than in your own house of course.

Online c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
build yourself as a 'subway' model where they can pick their dough sauce toppings cheese etc, and still have a window to see exactly what you are doing. either that or if you go 'buffet' it is already pre-made and sliced and ready for the customer to take
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »
Did you get your idea from the serve-yourself frozen yogurt places? That model is not about filling some need of customers wanting to make their own sundae. It's about customer's having eyes that are bigger than their stomachs and charging by the oz. It think is is ill advised to let the customer tough their pie until it's ready to eat. I don't see any good that can come from it, and I really don't believe there is any demand for it.  Pizza in the Subway/Chipolte model on the other hand is a different story.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 08:08:12 AM »
I doubt you will get the health department to sign off on allowing customers access to bulk ingredients at any rate.

pizzapan