I've been a Neapolitan pizza fan for a loooonnnggg time, but never been able to try that style at home...until now! Just finished a WFO, thread here... http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27522.0.html
and finally got to try my hand at baking Neapolitan style pizza.
I have to admit I am intimidated by all the knowledge on this board, and by my lack of the same. To all those here that post about their techniques, experiences, and experiments....A BIG THANK YOU! I am having a lot of fun learning and trying to put that knowledge to practical use.
I have a "raised dome" FGM 950C oven and finished curing it last weekend and finally had a chance to get it up to "Neapolitan" temps and give it a go. When I started, the dome was at 910 and the floor at 860. The core was indicating 770F, but my thermometer doesn't extend all the way into the core (build design flaw on my part).
Dough Recipe was supposed to be:
26g Sea Salt
I say it "was supposed to be" because my wife and I had a "communication breakdown"
when mixing the first batch. She added 200g of water to the first dough, instead of our starter that we are cultivating, while the dough was mixing. We made another batch but decided to try this dough as well, so our very first pizza was a 77% hydration dough!
I mixed in a Bosch for 1 minute, autolysed for 20, then 6-7 more in the Bosch. I did a few stretch and folds and then a bulk rest for 10 hours at 68 degrees. Balled and refrigerated for 30 hours and removed 3-4 hours before baking.
So here they are:
1) 77% hydration dough with pear, gorgonzola, and balsamic glaze
- least browning...perhaps the high hydration...perhaps the oven was at it's hottest
3) 57% Hot Capocollo and Calabrese Salami with fresh Mozzarella
-cornice looks bigger than I remember...camera angle?
4) Crumb shot from 57% dough
5) 57% New York toppings...pepperoni and Grande Mozzarella
- More browning than the 77% dough
6) 77% Calzone...ham, grapeseed oil, Grande on the inside...topped with Calabrian Chili oil infused sauce (thanks Craig!)
- UGLY, but my personal favorite for taste!
7) 57% Homemade Pistachio pesto, Italian sausage mixed with a little Frank's Hot Honey, and Grande
8 57% Bananas Foster - Thanks JimmyMak!
9) 57% Nutella, strawberries, vanilla cream - Thanks andreguidon!
I am my own harshest critic and see lots of room for improvement, but I friggin loved every one of them!!! Yes, I ate some of each pizza...taking the rest of the week off from carbs!