Author Topic: First try with KA Sir Lancelot *pix*  (Read 2203 times)

Offline nostalgia

First try with KA Sir Lancelot *pix*
« on: February 25, 2006, 06:54:43 PM »
Hey all!  Thanks to the advice I've seen on here, I picked up a few bags of KASL.  I'm using Reinhart's formula from The Bread Baker's Apprentice.  I added a bit of wheat flour (about 6% of the total flour) for interest.  I hope that isn't too sacriligeous to the NY style ;)  No oil, no sugar.

I found the KASL to be finer than KA Bread flour, almost like cake flour.

Picture 1:  "The dough should clear the sides of the bowl, but stick to the bottom of the bowl."  Check!  It took a lot more water than I'm used to.  I attribute it partially to the wheat flour, partially to the very dry air in my house.

Picture 2:  "The finished dough will be springy, elastic, and sticky, not just tacky."  Check!  I made it a wee bit stiffer this time than I did last time (my last try was with KA bread flour, and I made the dough -very- slack, like ciabatta).

Picture 3:  My babies ready to be retarded in the fridge (boy that sounds silly).  Excuse my poor portioning :)  They're about 6 ounces each.  We're having a couple of friends over tomorrow to do individual pies.

I'll take more pictures of the finished products tomorrow!  Enjoy!

-Joe

Offline nostalgia

KASL Results. Too wet?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:14:38 PM »
Well, took the dough out of the fridge today, and gave it the two hours on the counter the formula specified.  The dough was very, very slack.  Slack to the point that when I picked it up, it immediately sagged from my hands to the counter under its own weight.  It did, however, hold together extremely well.  I was able to get paper thin crusts, and stretch the dough all over the place without tearing it.  I'm not too familiar with hydration formulas and percentages, so maybe you all can tell me what you think from the formula:

4 1/2 cups (20.25 oz) high-gluten flour
1 3/4 cups (14 oz) cold water

I ended up using between 1/4 and 1/2 cup more water to get the dough to the consistency called out for in the procedure.

Here's the first pie.  It's got a ricotta pesto topping, with some fresh mozzarella on top.  Unfortunately, I tore the crust while putting the pesto on.  It still tasted fantastic.  It was cooked on my new Fibrament stone.

-Joe
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 07:18:55 PM by nostalgia »

Offline nostalgia

Second pie pix
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 07:15:46 PM »
Here's the second pie.  My wife's love pie :)  She's great with the peel.  I'm so proud!  This one was also cooked on the Fibrament.

-Joe

Offline nostalgia

Last one *pix*
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »
Here's my last pie.  I decided to try cooking it on a stone on the floor of my oven to see the difference.  Things cook a lot faster down there!  One corner of the crust burned slightly before I got it out, but boy oh boy was it good!  The crust was just a little crispy, just the way I like it.

-Joe

Offline nostalgia

Re: KASL Results. Too wet?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 03:11:32 PM »
4 1/2 cups (20.25 oz) high-gluten flour
1 3/4 cups (14 oz) cold water
This works out to 69% hydration.  If I used an extra 1/4 cup water, that's 79%!  Reading other formulas here, it seems 63-65% is common.  Let's see, that would be about 13 ounces water.  Nothing to do but try again :)

-Joe

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
Re: First try with KA Sir Lancelot *pix*
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 11:40:46 PM »
Hey Nostalgia,

Nicely done!!

Be careful though when you say you burned a bit of one, a lot of the guys around here will tell you that that one is just barely done. ;D

Congrats,
Dan

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 08:12:48 AM »
It looks like you use the Superpeel without the canvas belt.  What gives?

Beautiful pizzas, by the way.

- Fio
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline nostalgia

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 09:14:26 AM »
It looks like you use the Superpeel without the canvas belt.  What gives?
Beautiful pizzas, by the way.
As I only recently found out, that's not a real super peel.  It's a knock-off that was sold by Sur Le Table, and it had a parchment 'belt' instead of canvas.  It was so awful, that I threw out the whole belt mechanism.  The peel itself, however, is quite a nice size and shape on its own, and I use it constantly.

Just yesterday I got a real SuperPeel, and it's light-years better.  I'll probably still use a bare peel for pizza, but I'll be using the SuperPeel for my artisan breads.

Thanks for the kind words about the pizzas!  They tasted as good as they look :)

-Joe

Offline nostalgia

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 09:19:10 AM »
Nicely done!!

Be careful though when you say you burned a bit of one, a lot of the guys around here will tell you that that one is just barely done. ;D

Congrats,
Dan
hehehehe thanks, Dan.  It was, admittedly, delicious, even if it did set off the smoke alarm :)

I'm starting to use it as a kitchen timer...

-Joe

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 10:54:58 AM »

Just yesterday I got a real SuperPeel, and it's light-years better.  I'll probably still use a bare peel for pizza, but I'll be using the SuperPeel for my artisan breads.

-Joe

I use the super peel for putting the pizza in the oven, and a regular peel for taking them out.  The sole benefit and purpose of the Super Peel is to avoid the use of cornmeal.
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.