Author Topic: 1st Bake with my Steel Plates  (Read 6494 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 1st Bake with my Steel Plates
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »
Ha ha, Jinhua!  So, soon we should see you posting pics of your roasted turkey pies??? :-D. I hope you enjoy using your steel plates.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »
I am a north Jersey guy, at least until I moved into Manhattan.  Montclair and Rockaway.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 07:07:26 AM »
Are you using an IR thermometer?  525 is the highest I'd go with 1/2" steel and even that might be pushing it.

Now, there is a formula related aspect as well. Lower hydrations and higher protein flours burn faster and both sugar and fat accelerate browning, but I don't think your varying results are formula related.

I am not, I don't have one.

I've been very consistent with my formula: 64% hydration, 1.5%  oil, no sugar, all trumps mix you recommended. I've also consistently started to burn around 2-2.5 minutes at 550. I don't think its a formula issue, I do need to get an IR gun. I feel like my lower half is much hotter than my upper half.
Josh

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 09:29:51 AM »
I don't think its a formula issue, I do need to get an IR gun. I feel like my lower half is much hotter than my upper half.

Well I did a small test to my theory last night and it seems I was right: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27593.msg279427.html#msg279427
Josh

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 07:00:17 PM »
Ok, second bake with steel plates - my best bakes to date!

I used the recipe from this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27552.0.html

The only changes I made were that I used KABF vs. Spring King, EVOO vs. soybean oil and weighed out four 360-ish gram dough balls.  This made three 14" pies and a batch of garlic knots.  Pictures to follow.

Preheated on 550 convection for an hour with the steel plates approximately 7" from the broiler even though I didn't use it.  The IR temps I took were as follows:

Top edges of steel read 558 degrees
Top center read 575 degrees
Bottom center read 545 degrees but I may have accidentally read the steel bars vs the plates in fear of my eyebrows singeing off because I was too close to the heat  :-X

Each pie took between 4 and 4 1/2 minutes.  The middle pie was pepperoni and I forgot to get a shot of that one before it got devoured. But the underskirt was exactly the same as the other two.  Next week I will use the same recipe but this time with Pillsbury Best Bakers Flour that I bought this morning.  The crust was delightfully crispy while remaining tender on the inside and the slices had perfect foldability  :drool: The garlic knots were baked at 450 convection for exactly 9 minutes and they were great!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:38:06 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
Those look great! Your temps make sense, although I attribute a lot of that to the convection.

At the very least, now I know you need a 560* steel temp to achieve a 4-4.5 minute bake. For my oven it's probably closer to a 500* oven temp. Thanks for the help.
Josh

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2013, 05:37:51 PM »
Wow, very nice !  now I want some garlic knots

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2013, 05:39:36 PM »
Wow, very nice !  now I want some garlic knots

Deb,

They are the best garlic knots I've ever made  :drool:

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline communist

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Mary Ann, beautiful pies!  I have been baking on steel of 2 years now and my family and friends love my NY pie.  Mark

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Mark and glad to help, Josh  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 09:00:52 AM »
Wow, those are great looking pies and garlic knots.  You continue to inspire this novice!   :D

Offline erics_dad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 04:15:00 AM »
Hi Mary Ann,

Thanks for this thread, your pizzas look awesome!

I just bought a piece of steel that's roughly 16" x 15" x 1/4" and I had it "shot blasted" which gave it a matte type finish (slightly different than your steel's initial finish) and I am now looking for info to properly "season" it so it's food safe, etc.

From what I gather on your opening post, after washing, you coated with veg oil. But, after the oil coating, how hot and for how long did you warm the steel? Was it at full blast (550* ?) for an hour or two...or?

Also, did you let it cool then re-season? I thought I've read elsewhere some folks season (ie after cleaning they oil, heat then oil, heat, then oil heat) up to 3 times.

I just want to make sure my steel is safe so if you or anyone else cares to offer advice, that would be great.

Many thanks and look forward to more photos :)

Scott

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »
Scott,

After I cleaned it well, I applied an extremely thin coat of vegetable oil using a microfiber cloth.  Then heated it at 550 for an hour.  I used it that night to make my weekly pizza.  I did not re season and it seems to be fine.

I'm sure others will chime in soon to share their seasoning process with you.  Enjoy your steel.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline erics_dad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 07:21:40 AM »
Hi Mary Ann,

Thanks very much for the reply. I really appreciate it :)

I (mistakenly) decided to wash my steel first as it seemed to have some dusty residue from the sand blasting and learned REAL QUICK that it rusts in seconds! lol After then sanding by hand lol, I "washed" with vinegar then applied more or less a sunflower oil. Hope sunflower is ok!!

I heated it for 1 hour exactly at ~500 (I have a 250* celcius oven) and after it cooled rubbed my fingers down it and no residue or anything so I'm going to assume I seasoned it well. I may season it again today as I don't even have my recipe(s) 100% sorted yet (so many to choose from it's confusing!). I'm still waiting on my wooden and steel pizza peels and other stuff but hopefully next week I'll be able to start a similar thread to yours and post some newbie pics :)

Anyway, thanks again and glad to hear the steel is still pumping out great pizzas.

Which dough and sauce recipes do you use? Sorry if it was already mentioned. I'm thinking of NY style pizza. Is that how you make yours?

Thanks again

Scott

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
Scott,

Yes, currently I've been focusing on NY style pies.  I don't have a set recipe for my sauce, I just eyeball measure my spices and wing it  ;D.  I either use Jersey Fresh or Sclafani crushed tomatoes.  Add seasonings to taste and then sauce your pie.  Don't cook it beforehand because it will cook on the pie.  This recipe for dough also includes a workflow and video with some stretching tips.  It is easy and very helpful.  Good luck and please post some pics right on this thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27591.0.html

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »
awesome idea! 

Very nice pizza!

Ok, I'm late to the party, but I finally get your 1st comment after reading your baking steel journey thread  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »
Ok, I think this might be my 4th bake on steel now.  It's amazing what steel, a KA mixer and a little bromated flour can do!  I felt like I built up my gluten strength great this week and the dough handled beautifully-no tears at all.  Also after watching a stretching video a handful of times, I was able to work on my beading skills to make a thinner cornice than I have been.  The crumb structure has been pretty consistent the last few weeks so I didn't get a shot of it. Only one picture of the pie and then I think I have exhausted this thread.  Once again, many thanks to scott123 for encouraging me to buy the steel and the bromated flour.  I have waaaaaay better NY pies because of his advice  :chef:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 06:02:34 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
That's a nice looking pie. What brand of flour and how thick is your steel?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »
Thanks! The flour is Pillsbury Best Bakers and the steel is 1/2".
Mary Ann

Offline Kale dog

• SO VEGAN DAIYA OMG SO GIF IMAGE
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »
how long of a preheat does steel compare to stone?  :chef:
Hippocrates: 'Let food be thy medicine