Author Topic: 1st Bake with my Steel Plates  (Read 10257 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 1st Bake with my Steel Plates
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »
For me, it is about the same - about an hour.  I got an IR thermometer to get a better idea of steel temps.  Like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMI62HM/?tag=pizzamaking-20
Mary Ann

Offline Kale dog

• love the smell of a pizza baking.
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 10:48:23 PM »
I am having the worst time trying to find a place in West covina, CA for steel plate i need one 18"Length x 15"Width x 1/4"  >:(
*Sigh*

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »
For me, it is about the same - about an hour.  I got an IR thermometer to get a better idea of steel temps.  Like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMI62HM/?tag=pizzamaking-20

I purchased this one about a month ago... maybe it's just mine, but I noticed it doesn't take the reading of the steel plate, only what is reflected (ie. the top of the oven). If I take a reading perpendicular to the steel plate at very close range,  I never get a temperature above 350*

I think an IR with adjustable emissivity is more appropriate for a steel plate. I know the IR gun in the link above is fairly popular here so I'd be curious to hear if others have the same issue? If it matters, I ground the scale off my steel plate before using so it's probably more 'polished' than others.

It is very easy to get a reflected temperature so I wonder if people think they are getting a reading of the steel when in fact they are getting a reflected reading of the top of the oven....

Josh

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 09:01:53 PM »
I don't really understand why you need the steel bars? Can't you just put the steel plates on the regular rack?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 09:17:53 PM »
There is a lip on the back end of my shelf racks.  The steel bars allowed me to raise the plates above the lip in order to gain more depth.  Thus, I was able to order bigger plates.  So I went from a 14" depth to a 17" depth.  It's pretty cool to be able to make a 17" pie in my home oven.
Mary Ann

Offline Kale dog

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
I contacted a place 30 miles away and they said " A Hot rolled steel plate 1/4" thick one piece at 16"x18"= $29.40"  :o still though it's pretty far  :'(
*Sigh*

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »
If you can, try to get 1/2" thick.  Much better thermal mass. Mine was $60 plus tax, which included the steel bars.  The steel plates are heavy as heck, but worth it.
Mary Ann

Offline spazster

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2014, 02:21:13 AM »
I really regret not getting mine in two halves. It is a pain in the ass lugging my 16X16X1/2 in the oven.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:29:39 AM by spazster »

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
So just to be clear, regular A36 hot rolled steel is safe to cook on? It doesn't need to specially treated or anything?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 09:19:11 AM »
I do describe this in the beginning of this thread.  After a little scrub with sand paper or steel wool, you should clean it with a vinegar/water solution to remove the mill scale(rust), let it dry and then apply a thin layer of vegetable oil.  Bake at highest temp for your oven for about an hour to season.  Be prepared for a little smoke.  Once you season it, you're good to bake. 
Mary Ann

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »
I really regret not getting mine in two halves. It is a pain in the ass lugging my 16X16X1/2 in the oven.

Maybe a local shop can cut it for you. I can't imagine they would charge much.
Marty

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2014, 10:06:22 AM »
Is there a way to tell if the plates are clean enough? I soaked a metal plate in vinegar for two days and then scrubbed it with steel wool to get off what appeared to be all of the mill scale. It seemed clean. Then I seasoned it with oil and cooked it at 550 for an hour, twice. It looks pretty good, but if I run my hand across it, my fingers get a little bit of black on them.  Is that from the seasoned oil, or do you think I need to scrub it some more and then reaseason it?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2014, 10:23:13 AM »
When I cleaned mine, I used sand paper first, then steel wool.  I did not soak mine in vinegar.  However, I did use a water/white vinegar solution to wash it with a microfiber cloth.  Rinsed, then scrubbed with soap and water.  Rinsed, then did the vinegar solution again.  Dried it with another cloth.  For the seasoning part, I used a clean, dry microfiber cloth to apply an extremely thin layer of oil to the steel and then it went into the oven to do its thing.  Perhaps there was too much oil on your steel?  TBH, I'm not sure what the residue is that you have.  Maybe someone else can chime in here?
Mary Ann

Offline misterschu

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
The easiest way to remove mill scale is by soaking your plate in Muriatic Acid, available at your local giant hardware store. You can use just about any plastic bin to soak. Use rubber gloves when handling.  Soak it outdoors and in a clear area, 30 minutes should be enough, make sure to soak on both sides. When you're done soaking, neutralize the acid with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and pour down the drain.

Once done, rinse with water and dry. Clean off any rapidly forming rust with vinegar on a cloth then coat your steel in oil. http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/ suggests that flaxseed oil is best, because it is high in Alpha Linoleic Acid. Take a look at the wikipedia page for ALA and you'll see that chia oil is even higher in ALA than flaxseed, which is why I chose it to season my steel. My steel became black after 2 coats of chia seasoning.  I believe the darker color should also improve the cooking experience, a la dark pans vs. light pans.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »
The easiest way to remove mill scale is by soaking your plate in Muriatic Acid, available at your local giant hardware store. You can use just about any plastic bin to soak. Use rubber gloves when handling.  Soak it outdoors and in a clear area, 30 minutes should be enough, make sure to soak on both sides. When you're done soaking, neutralize the acid with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and pour down the drain.

Once done, rinse with water and dry. Clean off any rapidly forming rust with vinegar on a cloth then coat your steel in oil. http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/ suggests that flaxseed oil is best, because it is high in Alpha Linoleic Acid. Take a look at the wikipedia page for ALA and you'll see that chia oil is even higher in ALA than flaxseed, which is why I chose it to season my steel. My steel became black after 2 coats of chia seasoning.  I believe the darker color should also improve the cooking experience, a la dark pans vs. light pans.
Very nice write up David.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pbspelly

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
When you switch from stone to steel, do you recommend altering the rack placement?

In other words, I used to cook my pizza on a baking stone on the second lowest rack in the oven (it's an electric oven with the baking coils on the bottom).  I found that this worked fairly well in that at 550 (preheated for an hour but temperature not checked with infrared), the bottom (crust) and the top (cheese) both finished in about 8 minutes. 

The other day I tried the new 1/2-inch steel in the same rack placement and found that the pizza top cooked in about 7 minutes but the bottom was overdone by then, and the pizza was a bit tough. So I'm thinking that maybe I should move the steel up to the highest or second-highest rack in the oven, and that that might make the cheese cook faster and catch up to the crust, and I could take out the pizza at 5, maybe 5:30.

Thoughts?

Offline misterschu

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2014, 10:22:50 AM »
pbspelly, I don't know what kind of pie you're trying to cook but 7 minutes sounds a bit long for a baking steel.  You'll see that Mary Ann notes a drop from 6 minutes to 4 minutes: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27552.msg278965.html#msg278965

Looking through your posts I noticed you mention using pre-shredded cheese.  Pre-shredded cheese has additives to prevent clumping in the bag.  This might cause your top to seem like it needs such a long cook.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »
Do you use a broiler pbs? Steel is only better if you incorporate use of the broiler so you can get to 4 minutes. Me personally, I prefer 5-6 minutes but that's another discussion.

I use 2nd rack and broiler the entire time. I could get to 4 minutes if put the steel on the top shelf, but I'm happy with my setup as it is.
Josh

Offline Kale dog

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
Do you use a broiler pbs? Steel is only better if you incorporate use of the broiler so you can get to 4 minutes. Me personally, I prefer 5-6 minutes but that's another discussion.

I use 2nd rack and broiler the entire time. I could get to 4 minutes if put the steel on the top shelf, but I'm happy with my setup as it is.

So how do you recommend:  Max oven temp 550* for 1 hour, Then after launch blast on the Broiler?
My steel is on the oven floor :)
*Sigh*

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »
So how do you recommend:  Max oven temp 550* for 1 hour, Then after launch blast on the Broiler?
My steel is on the oven floor :)

Move the steel to the top rack, or second from top rack (depending on broiler strength). Steel does not belong on the bottom, your top will never finish at the same time as your bottom which is the goal.

My broiler is weak, so I can broil for 4-6 minutes and not over cook the top. Your results may vary.
Josh