Author Topic: Thunder Shirt for dogs--it works.  (Read 679 times)

Offline dhorst

Thunder Shirt for dogs--it works.
« on: September 14, 2013, 12:33:41 AM »
I just thought I would put this out there for any dog lovers who have dogs who get nervous during thunderstorms.  Miss Ellie is my Golden Retriever who is four years old.  In the last year she has become very nervous when a weather front comes through and kind of freaks out when there is a thunderstorm.
She shakes and cries and I feel so bad for her.

A friend of mine in Texas where they have some really bad storms has a couple of high strung Dalmatians.  She swears by the Thunder Shirt.

We've recently had a string of bad storms and with more on the way, I decided to give it a shot.  At $40, it's kind of pricey, but hey, she's my mid life baby, and many of us know what we'd do to comfort a baby in the middle of the night or during the day.

The shirt is easy to get on--it velcros around the chest and stomach and applies a nice pressure for even compression that soothes and helps to alleviate anxiety.

I tried it out on her for a couple of five minute sessions during good weather, to get her used to it.  The first storm she was still nervous, but wasn't crying.  The second, rather severe storm--that rattled the windows, she seemed rather relieved when I put the shirt on before it hit.  She was still stressed--lots of panting, but no crying and shaking.  The next couple of storms, she actually nosed the shirt, kind of like she was asking me to put it on for her.  She did this about 20-25 minutes out before the storms hit, so I think she's very sensitive to changes in barometric pressure and other atmospheric conditions.

It's not a solution for all dogs, but I just wanted to let any dog lovers out there know that this might be helpful for a thunder nervous dog.

Diana
Anyone else tried the thunder shirt?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Thunder Shirt for dogs--it works.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
Diana,

You mean other than a dog :-D?

Seriously, though, I have read that pets often can pick up signals that forewarn of impending earthquakes. Maybe the same applies to thunderstorms.

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
I woke up to a thunderstorm in Dallas when I was about 13-14 that was so intense, so loud with so much lightening, that I really - no  joke - thought it was nuclear attack.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
Diana,

You mean other than a dog :-D?

Peter
Well, the thought had crossed my mind that if I could find it in a light leopard skin print, that some of the Neapolitan folks around here might wear it.  I wonder if Craig would be willing to model one at the next TX Summit--he could have a matching one for Java to wear. :-D

I woke up to a thunderstorm in Dallas when I was about 13-14 that was so intense, so loud with so much lightening, that I really - no  joke - thought it was nuclear attack.
When my sister lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area she commented on how the storms would hit so hard that they would set off car alarms.

Temple Grandin did some ground breaking work with the "hug box" for children with autism and some of these theories apply to why the Thunder Shirt works for many dogs.

Online scott123

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
For what it's worth, I like the weight of heavy blankets when I sleep- even during the summer. Not the heat, but the weight.  I don't know if this exists, but I've actually considered a loose chain mail blanket- for weight, but not heat.

Offline dhorst

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »
For what it's worth, I like the weight of heavy blankets when I sleep- even during the summer. Not the heat, but the weight.  I don't know if this exists, but I've actually considered a loose chain mail blanket- for weight, but not heat.
I too, like the weight of a blanket--I can't sleep without one.  I do wonder how loose chain mail would have been at Sally's Sweat Lodge. :-D

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »
I just thought I would put this out there for any dog lovers who have dogs who get nervous during thunderstorms.  Miss Ellie is my Golden Retriever who is four years old.  In the last year she has become very nervous when a weather front comes through and kind of freaks out when there is a thunderstorm.
She shakes and cries and I feel so bad for her.

A friend of mine in Texas where they have some really bad storms has a couple of high strung Dalmatians.  She swears by the Thunder Shirt.

We've recently had a string of bad storms and with more on the way, I decided to give it a shot.  At $40, it's kind of pricey, but hey, she's my mid life baby, and many of us know what we'd do to comfort a baby in the middle of the night or during the day.

The shirt is easy to get on--it velcros around the chest and stomach and applies a nice pressure for even compression that soothes and helps to alleviate anxiety.

I tried it out on her for a couple of five minute sessions during good weather, to get her used to it.  The first storm she was still nervous, but wasn't crying.  The second, rather severe storm--that rattled the windows, she seemed rather relieved when I put the shirt on before it hit.  She was still stressed--lots of panting, but no crying and shaking.  The next couple of storms, she actually nosed the shirt, kind of like she was asking me to put it on for her.  She did this about 20-25 minutes out before the storms hit, so I think she's very sensitive to changes in barometric pressure and other atmospheric conditions.

It's not a solution for all dogs, but I just wanted to let any dog lovers out there know that this might be helpful for a thunder nervous dog.

Diana

Didn't work for my wiener dogs - they still hide under the bed

Offline dhorst

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 05:59:43 PM »

Didn't work for my wiener dogs - they still hide under the bed
I'm sorry to hear that. She's not cured, but I think her stress level is down by 60%. That's a good thing for us.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »
I have two gun dogs.  Both are used to loud gunshots.  The Lab is bomb proof.  The pointer is pretty high strung and does wind up and bark at the fireworks a bit.  Nothing like she's frightened, but slightly agitated.  We don't get many thunderstorms here in Southern California near the ocean.  Maybe one a year and they aren't anything like those around Dallas or other parts of the central states. 

Will that thunder shirt fit around my head and cover my ears if the pointer gets to barking? :D

Zip and Zap below.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 09:42:04 PM »

Scott for what it is worth they sell weighted blankets for Autism and they are very popular.  They have adult sizes, and I know a teenager that uses one.  Do a search for Autism and weighted blankets.  Here is one link.
http://www.sensacalm.com/adult-length-weighted-blankets/

Bob

pizzapan