Author Topic: Neapolitan pizza in a flash  (Read 3389 times)

Offline bakeshack

Neapolitan pizza in a flash
« on: September 14, 2013, 02:09:42 AM »
I hosted a party last weekend and made a lot of NP and NY pizzas.  I did an experiment when the guests were already done eating.  I increased the floor temp to about 950F and built an extremely large fire inside.  I thought that the bottom would surely burn and probably burn the cheese as well with black spots.  I was mistaken.  The resulting pizza was done in about 32 secs fully cooked and was extremely tender and could rival some of my best NP.  One of my guests made a short video of me making the pizza so I am sharing it here. 

<a href="http://youtu.be/HJZYP9MN9qE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/HJZYP9MN9qE</a>

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:22:11 AM by bakeshack »

Offline Pizzaddict

Re: Neapolitan pizza in a flash
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:14:32 AM »
That's amazing!  As a new WFO owner, I'm interested in how you increased your floor temp to 950.  Did you rebuild your fire in the middle, then move it to the side, or did you spread coals and let the heat from the coals saturate your floor?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »
That is also what l did when I baked the 36 sec pie at the TPS2. We all noted the tenderness of that pie as well.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »
That's amazing!  As a new WFO owner, I'm interested in how you increased your floor temp to 950.  Did you rebuild your fire in the middle, then move it to the side, or did you spread coals and let the heat from the coals saturate your floor?

Thanks!  I just kept building a large fire on one side and the floor just kept getting higher and higher.  I started with the floor already at 875F since I was baking pizzas earlier. 

Offline iRobertO

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
On a side note, the worst Napoletana pizza I have had came out of the WFO in a really short amount of time and it was from a local VPN pizzeria, timed at approx. 30 seconds. In their defense, I think we showed up a bit early (at  lunch time too) and they were at the stage where the oven was maybe too hot, but I don't know how the flow works for getting the oven ready for a day that includes lunch and dinner. The oven has a digital temp gauge on the front and I recall thinking it was a fairly low temp but in hindsight, it's possible it was really high and reads in Celsius not Fahrenheit.

Was chatting up the guy who was to cook my pizza, trying to get a feel for the process at this particular place. He became aware through the conversation that I had some knowledge of pizza, so it seemed he was eager to impress. When he threw it into the oven and it came out in around 30 seconds he said with pride, "That quick enough for you?". I thought to myself, maybe too quick?

When we went to our table to eat it we noticed immediately that there was about 3mm of uncooked dough across the entire layer of the pizza. I took a knife and scraped it across the top and had a nice little ball of dough.

I didn't take too many pics because we were being watched a little bit (I think with all of the questions we came across as bloggers or the like), but here are a couple of images from that day. Flavors were otherwise good but pizza was a little flat as well.

I have not written this place off yet; I would like to give them a second chance during a dinner to see if they can produce cook pizza.

**edit: Freudian slip on the above sentence, I meant to say 'see if they can produce good pizza' but 'cooked pizza' fits as well.

iRobertO
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:30:42 PM by iRobertO »

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »
Some people bake their pizzas with a target bake time whether its 30 or 60 secs.  I do it the other way around. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 11:09:01 PM »
Marlon,

What did you use for the floor tiles in your oven?

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »
Marlon,

What did you use for the floor tiles in your oven?

I bought firebricks from a pottery shop.  It's not the same as the firebricks I used for the dome.  I'm not sure about the specs though.  It's yellow and much more expensive than regular firebricks.  I can look it up.  If I compare the firebricks on the floor and the dome, the one on the floor seems to be less dense so it's much easier to break. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 12:54:35 AM »
If you could find out the conductivity, I'd be very curious.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 01:24:34 AM »
If you could find out the conductivity, I'd be very curious.

Sure, I will find out from them.  I got curious as well.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 06:29:38 AM »
Pie looks great, very professional!  Did you construct the oven or is is a pre-fab?
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 09:55:31 AM »
Pie looks great, very professional!  Did you construct the oven or is is a pre-fab?

Thanks!  The oven is homemade using firebricks. 

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »
I hosted a party last weekend and made a lot of NP and NY pizzas.  I did an experiment when the guests were already done eating.  I increased the floor temp to about 950F and built an extremely large fire inside.  I thought that the bottom would surely burn and probably burn the cheese as well with black spots.  I was mistaken.  The resulting pizza was done in about 32 secs fully cooked and was extremely tender and could rival some of my best NP.  One of my guests made a short video of me making the pizza so I am sharing it here. 

http://youtu.be/HJZYP9MN9qE

Marlon,

In all honesty I think you (personally) could probably take some Pillsbury crescent roll dough, squirt some ketchup packets on it, throw on some Kraft singles and make pies that look better than 99% of the ones the rest of us post here! :-D

Truly, your achievements are living proof that this is a craft that depends on the person as opposed to the equipment. No offense to your oven --- I really like it actually, and am envious that you made it yourself but from what I can see, its not an SF, Acunto, or even a low-dome design!

You have either captured lightning in a bottle, and just got lucky with your oven design and your dough, or you are simply the master of pizza and bread making! I personally believe its the latter! And it gives me hope!!!! ;D

John K

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 02:13:07 PM »

.....Truly, your achievements are living proof that this is a craft that depends on the person as opposed to the equipment....

I completely agree with this statement and believe this to be what the real spirit of Neapolitan Pizza is all about.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:00:28 PM by stonecutter »
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.
Jacob August Riis

Offline walterstewart

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 04:13:12 PM »
Hi,

I'm also really curious about anything you can discover about those floor bricks!!!

Thanks,

Walter

Offline fornographer

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 04:17:51 PM »

http://youtu.be/HJZYP9MN9qE

Nice.  Do you have a thread of your oven build?   Hmm..thought I heard tagalog being spoken in the background. 

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »
Marlon,

In all honesty I think you (personally) could probably take some Pillsbury crescent roll dough, squirt some ketchup packets on it, throw on some Kraft singles and make pies that look better than 99% of the ones the rest of us post here! :-D

Truly, your achievements are living proof that this is a craft that depends on the person as opposed to the equipment. No offense to your oven --- I really like it actually, and am envious that you made it yourself but from what I can see, its not an SF, Acunto, or even a low-dome design!

You have either captured lightning in a bottle, and just got lucky with your oven design and your dough, or you are simply the master of pizza and bread making! I personally believe its the latter! And it gives me hope!!!! ;D

John K

John, you are very generous with your compliments!  I appreciate your confidence in my abilities.  I think you can find everything you need to learn here at this forum to make a great pizza and you have all the skilled people here who are extremely generous with their knowledge to help make sure you get there as long as you have the dedication and passion for it. 

Regarding the oven, it is certainly not the best but i try to make the best of what I got.  I think the dome is low enough to help me get these results.  I actually did not follow any plans because I am not capable to following detailed instructions and plans or drawings.  For me, it is more difficult to read the plans than actually build the oven.  Basically, I just "winged" it.  Maybe, I got lucky but I also try to do my part with the dough, oven management, etc. for it to work.   ;D

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »

Nice.  Do you have a thread of your oven build?   Hmm..thought I heard tagalog being spoken in the background.

No thread on the oven build.  Yes, you heard correctly.  Born and raised in the Philippines.  Are you Filipino?

Offline fornographer

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 05:17:28 AM »
No thread on the oven build.  Yes, you heard correctly.  Born and raised in the Philippines.  Are you Filipino?
yes I am. Born there but immigrated here in my early teens. I still speak fluent Tagalog.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »
Do you always remove all the coals from your deck? from the video it looks like there wasn't a lot coals in there.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:25:42 PM by vincentoc13 »