Author Topic: Are these the right bricks for my Neopolitan oven?  (Read 3968 times)

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

• Supporting Member
Re: Are these the right bricks for my Neopolitan oven?
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 05:34:05 AM »
Nachtwacht, it says
Thermal conductivity 1,0 x 10-5 m/mK
on their website, I gather that would be a bit high?

Sub, earlier you posted the link to aversaforni who seem to be the manufacturers of biscotto, is Izzoforni a different manufacturer or is their another reason to pass through them?

BTW: here's how far I am right now:

Offline sub

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 06:29:39 AM »
Sub, earlier you posted the link to aversaforni who seem to be the manufacturers of biscotto, is Izzoforni a different manufacturer or is their another reason to pass through them?

I don't know if they manufacture themself, but from what Marco Parente says, it might be difficult to buy it from them, there are only two artisan producers, I don't know the other one.

Finally, please note that by direct observation, owner comments, and most importantly suppliers direct info, many of these people above do not use the Biscotto di Sorrento (used at Forno Napoletano) which cost 8 times more of the cheaper alternatives, and does indeed have unique properties, however is produced in such low quantities and with Long ead times that is impossible to produce hundreds of ovens in a year or two.

Maybe try to ask the oven builders, after a few years the biscotto must be replaced, I do not know how it goes if you are abroad.

https://www.facebook.com/forniaversa.aversa

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:15:09 AM by sub »

Offline nachtwacht

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 12:00:51 PM »
Nachtwacht, it says  on their website, I gather that would be a bit high?

It's lower than any firebrick we are able to find here in Europe (read Belgium and Holland, since shipping that stuff from Italy or any place is somewhat expensive because of the weight) wich are tipicaly something like 1.2 and up.

You do have some work to do on your oven I see. Should not be a problem to get it finished by next year though if you put some work in it. Yesterday I was roughly at the same place you were... I hope to finish it by this weekend. Will work for 3 full days on it... For now I settled on a normal firebrick floor because I have to be backing pizza in exactly 1 month time :)

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2013, 02:50:32 AM »
So Nachtwacht, is it finished?

Offline nachtwacht

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2013, 03:38:24 AM »
Depends on the defenition of finished :)

We arrived at the current state on monday. It is drying now, I will start some small fires during the weekend. I am thinking about how I am going to do the flue at the moment, it will be "free standing" with a heathbreak so I can build that against the oven later.

In this state, I just have to throw some ceramic blankets on it and I am able to make some pizza so in a way.... it is finished :) I plan to realy finish it after it is fully dried out.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »
Looking good!
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline nachtwacht

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 10:03:35 AM »
Awesome!

pizzapan