Author Topic: 123 Pizza  (Read 9465 times)

scott123

Re: 123 Pizza
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »
Hmmm... I was a little wary of using the BS for NY, but that looks pretty darn good.  No excess char on the outer rim at all (something I was concerned about).  How much flame did you have?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »
Nice pie Tin.  Scott, when are you going to start believing me?   :P

scott123

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »
I never said I didn't believe you, Chau  :P just that I needed to see a 16"-ish pizza done without any excessive edge charring before I was ready to take the plunge myself.

Btw, Chau, are you adding a rest after the pre-heat?  I haven't talked about it in months, but I think  a rest (to allow the heat to even out), is an important part of the 4 minute BS equation.

Tin, any idea of how long you let it rest for?  Did you take a temp reading before baking?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 07:11:08 PM »
I have been using this recipe for the last 3 weeks, except in bulk as shown here:

Reply#60 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20732.msg206639.html#msg206639

This week I used Best Bakers Flour and made three 14" pies and a batch of garlic knots.  My pies keep getting better, now I just need to get the stretching thing down.  I preheated my oven for an hour and 15 minutes at 550 convection, using 1/2" steel plates.

Mary Ann

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »
Mary Ann,

Your stretching skills look fine to me.  Your pizzas and garlic knots look very good too.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »
Aww.  Thank you, Norma.  They were very good :)
Mary Ann

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »
Scott, no rest after preheating.   The spacers even out the heat distribution.  Just fire it upto temps then lower flame and load.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2013, 12:44:40 AM »
The metal tray underneath the stone on the 2stone is a parabola. Willard is a genius.

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline redox

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
I can't find Spring King flour (13.2% protein) to try Scott's NY pizza formula but I do have KASL (14.2%) and KABF (12.7%) and calculate that a blend of 1/3 KASL and 2/3 KABF will give me 13.2% protein. If anyone sees that I've figured this wrong please let me know. If you don't use it, you lose it and my algebra skills haven't been called on for awhile.
It's non-bromated flour, I know, but I've got to work with what I have.  :'(  Ok, here's a few questions for you pizza historians. Were they using bromated flour for NY pies in the old days? Or did they switch later on?
And finally, is it impossible to make a really good NY pizza w/o bromated flour?
It's time to take a break from Chi-town thin and move to NY style and the BS seems to be the right tool for the job.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 02:58:56 PM »
Jay,

I ran your KASL/KABF scenario through the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ and your ratio is correct.

As for the use of bromated flour in olden times in NYC, according to this post by Evelyne Slomon it appears that such use was quite common, going back to the Depression: Reply 298 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.msg37081/topicseen.html#msg37081

Peter

Offline redox

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 03:20:14 PM »
Jay,

I ran your KASL/KABF scenario through the Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/ and your ratio is correct.

As for the use of bromated flour in olden times in NYC, according to this post by Evelyne Slomon it appears that such use was quite common, going back to the Depression: Reply 298 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.msg37081/topicseen.html#msg37081

Peter
Peter,
Thanks for checking my math. That Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator is a great tool, thanks for pointing that out.
And now I've got another thread to catch up on.  ;D

Jay

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »
Hmmm... I was a little wary of using the BS for NY, but that looks pretty darn good.  No excess char on the outer rim at all (something I was concerned about).  How much flame did you have?
Don't be wary...cook somethin on that sob man!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »
I've been playing around with the 123 recipe.  my dough last night was about 52 hours in balls in the refrigerator.  it wasn't really bubbly as I would expect and perhaps had not risen completely double.  I took it out a little late and put in in my dough box at about 85 for an hour.  the dough stretched to about 15".  I cooked the sauce a little with some onion, garlic and dry oregano.  used 50-50 grande mozz / provolone.  cooked in my oven on stone in high rack position for about 6-1/2 min.  the last min broiler was on.  it took longer to cook than pizzas in the past have with the same setup. 
I have another couple of doughs that i'm going to try tonight.  I hope to get some advice before then please!  I thought the dough was bready and lacked salt making for a not so great crust.  the sauce seemed sweet, maybe because of the onion?  I think i'll skip the pepperoni this time. 
any hints for better NY style?
thanks
bill

Offline slybarman

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 11:04:52 AM »
Scott:

Can you post or PM a link to the other (more difficult) recipe? Thanks.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
Scott:
Can you post or PM a link to the other (more difficult) recipe? Thanks. 

I'm not sure it really is so much more difficult, but here it is:

The thread:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20732.msg206639.html#msg206639

The recipe (on the dough generator site):   http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=23

Offline slybarman

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »
Thank you.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »
Just did up 6 400g balls in the fridge now.
 0.5% is a little higher than i am accustomed to for 2 day cold rise but i guess i will see.

I usd cold water though just to ge safe.

Offline NickM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
Made a couple of 15" 123pizzas over the weekend and they were my best to date.  I switched from KAAP to KABF and that made a huge difference.  I cut an 18" half inch steel plate at work (I work at a ship maintenance center) the other day so my next batch will be 17" pizzas (the dough balls are fermenting in he fridge right now).  I was wanting to upgrade to an even better flour.  Do you know where I can get my hands on King Spring (bleached bromated 13.2% protein).  Do most of you guys buy online or locally?  Anyways, thanks everyone for all of your help with perfecting my NY Style pizza.
-Nick

scott123

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »
Nick, as a restaurant owner, one of your most important responsibilities will be locating vendors and establishing relationships with those vendors.  Wholesale food is a massive business.  Just about everywhere you go in the U.S., you will find a considerable number of companies delivering food.  It's just a matter of tracking down the companies in your particular area.  You'll most likely have at least one of the national distributors (sysco, us foods, dawn, etc.) but you'll probably want to find regional companies as well.  You can't run a restaurant without these relationships.

And the sooner you find these companies and start developing the relationships, the better.  How do you find these companies?  Here's some methods that might prove to be fruitful.

1. Yellowpages/Superpages (look under food wholesale)
2. Call bakeries and see who they're sourcing their ingredients from.
3. Look for food trucks making deliveries- these trucks are making deliveries all the time, and will have their phone number on the side.
4. Call flour reps and ask them which distributors sell their product in your area

Spring King is put out by Progressive Baker/Cargill. According to their website, they don't distribute to the southeast.  Full Strength is just as good, though, and is put out General Mills.  Here is the contact information for their North Florida sales rep:

http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/find-sales-representative

Make sure they know that you're looking for bleached bromated full strength. Also, talk to him about either obtaining a sample or helping you track down a distributor that sells in small quantities. This kind of business to business liaising is what these reps do.

There's also a restaurant depot in Jacksonville

3389 Powers Avenue Jacksonville,  FL  32207
Phone: 904-733-1005

To join RD, you'll need either a tax id or know someone who has a tax id (it can be an id for any type of business). Getting a federal tax id is pretty easy, and, as far as I can tell, free. Since you're going to need one for your business anyway, you might as well get one.

MY local RD has full strength, but inventory varies from location to location.

Oh, and, nice pizza  :)  I can see a solid improvement.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »
made a second batch and I like it.
Last batch went as far as 4 days.
Chopped brisket ends coated with a little bbq sauce.

I like this dough in the 2:45-3min range just where overall it is browned/toasted but not in dry/hard territory yet.

pizzapan