Author Topic: 123 Pizza  (Read 6629 times)

Offline NickM

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 123 Pizza
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
I finally got ahold of some commercial flour from a restaurant depot.  They didn't have Spring King or Full Strength so I bought All Trumps and mixed 67% AT with 33% KAAP.  The first attempt I tried a 62% hydration and dough was way too sticky and almost impossible to stretch and work with.  I might have mixed too long.  The second attempt I adjusted to a 56% hydration and a lot shorter mix time.  This dough was very easy to stretch and work with (after 48 hour cold ferment).  My biggest problem is that I need a larger peel to launch an 18" pizza.  I baked for 6 minutes which may have been too long because the bottom and sides were a little too charred.  I used 7/11 sauce with a little salt and sugar.  I added dried oregano and dried basil because I ran out of the fresh stuff (I know not to use dried basil but that was all I had).  I feel I am really making improvements but still have a long way to go.  Here's the latest results.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 01:16:30 PM »
I would eat it!  Good job, Nick.
Mary Ann

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »
Looks Great!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »
Very nice....not even close to "too much char" from my view. Good work!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline NickM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »
Getting better thanks to your recipe Scott.  My stretching is getting better and the pizza is getting a lot thinner, more and more true NY style.  I am also down to a 4 minute bake time at 525 degrees on half inch steel.  I am getting tons of positive feedback from the guinea pigs at work that I bake for a couple of times a week.  I am also getting great results for garlic knots using 1 ounce balls rolled into roughly six inch strips and tied together baked on a cookie sheet right over the steel for about eight minutes (until golden brown)...then drizzle with melted butter and sprinkled with garlic powder!
I know this is a little off topic but I wanted advice about taking this adventure to the next level from you NY style experts.  I eventually want to start my own shop but I am in the Navy for one more year and want to gain experience selling my pizzas on a commercial level.  I want to start with a mobile oven trailer (not a full blown food truck but just a trailer with oven mounted).  I noticed a lot of WFO trailers on the market but I know most true NY style pizzas are produced on gas deck ovens.  Can I get advice on mobile ovens specifically for NY style pizza?  Is WFO the way to go and just crank down the heat or are there mobile options for deck or any other types?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! And here are the latest results:
The pizza was three meat (pepperoni, spicy Italian sausage, and bacon)
The garlic knots were terrific.