Author Topic: Overly elastic dough  (Read 3401 times)

Offline bbqchuck

Re: Overly elastic dough
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »
I've settled on a workflow that seems to be just enough working of the dough for my recipe of NY KASL or Smart & Final LaRomanella High Gluten using 63% hyd. 

I use a stand mixer to incorporate the ingredients, once a ball is formed, mix with a dough hook (spiral) for 5 mins, rest 5 mins, mix another 5 mins with the stand mixer, rest 5 mins, hand stretch and fold for 5 mins, rest 5 mins, hand stretch and fold 5 mins, rest 5 mins, ball and place in a bowl to ferment.   This seems to give me enough gluten formation to have a decent ability to work the dough to a pie without undue elasticity.  If I know some of the dough will be used 2 days later instead of 1 day, I'll cut some kneading short.

Offline D C

Re: Overly elastic dough
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 07:42:59 AM »
I've settled on a workflow that seems to be just enough working of the dough for my recipe of NY KASL or Smart & Final LaRomanella High Gluten using 63% hyd. 

I use a stand mixer to incorporate the ingredients, once a ball is formed, mix with a dough hook (spiral) for 5 mins, rest 5 mins, mix another 5 mins with the stand mixer, rest 5 mins, hand stretch and fold for 5 mins, rest 5 mins, hand stretch and fold 5 mins, rest 5 mins, ball and place in a bowl to ferment.   This seems to give me enough gluten formation to have a decent ability to work the dough to a pie without undue elasticity.  If I know some of the dough will be used 2 days later instead of 1 day, I'll cut some kneading short.

That seems like a lot more than I'm doing, and it was suggested that I do less.   ???
Are you at window pane by the time you're done?