Author Topic: Ischia in Canada without needing to mortgage the house?  (Read 588 times)

Offline yumarama

• Yumarama Bread Blog
Ischia in Canada without needing to mortgage the house?
« on: September 17, 2013, 12:32:56 AM »
Hey Pizza People,

Does anyone have a line on where one can get some Ischia starter here in Canada without needing to ship from the US?

The regular US sources charge an arm and a leg for shipping - Ed Wood's total is >$40, CulturesForHealth.com is >$45. Both are just too dang expensive for a little bit of flakes you can put in an envelope like Carl's did for $2. As it stands with shipping, Sourdo's sends out 1 oz (28g) which comes to just about $2 per gram. Cultures ships just 6 grams which makes it about $7 a gram. Insane.

I'm on the west coast, Vancouver Island, if that helps any.

Thanks for any leads!

Paul
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:00:37 PM by yumarama »

Offline TXCraig1

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline yumarama

• Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: Ischia in Canada without needing to mortgage the house?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
Sadly, no as it "Ships from and sold by Sourdoughs International" so the shipping doesn't change. It's basically just the normal website with a presence on Amazon. Also, they don't ship to Canada through Amazon, only the website.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:47:32 PM by yumarama »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
How about one of these? Both appear to be $6 shipped. I don't know anything about either. I wonder where they got it in the first place?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTHERN-ITALIAN-SOURDOUGH-STARTER-ISCHIA-/150843492551 
http://sourdoughs.net/Ischia%20Italian%20Culture.htm   
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline yumarama

• Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
Thanks for doing the search, Craig. I checked these guys out yesterday.

The eBay guys don't ship to Canada.

I thought I had got a deal when I googled up Sourdoughs.net. I even ordered and paid by PayPal. They wrote back 2 hours later on the refund note saying they weren't selling anything at all and that they have a notice on their front page saying "Don't order". And they do.

I expect, unless Marco has shared his original stash elsewhere (unlikely!) or they visited that 200 year old bakery on Ischia themselves (also unlikely as hell) that they're just sharing their Sourdo culture.

So I'm back to square one.  :'(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:48:16 PM by yumarama »

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
I just checked Ed Wood's site (when did the price for cultures double?)  and yes, there is a $20 international shipping charge.  A $20 charge might make sense for somewhere remote, but to send what is basically a letter to Canada?  That is pretty crazy. I would give him a call, explain you only want one culture, not two and if he'd trim the shipping cost to Canada.

Offline red kiosk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 05:56:54 PM »
Maybe someone here on the forum that needs this culture could purchase two and put one into a stamped envelope and mail to you. Easily enough for you to PayPal money back to them. I just purchased some from one of the other vendors and wish I would have seen this one first. Take care!

Jim
The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!

pizzapan