Author Topic: Great Recipe and Fantastic Taste - just need it to be more fluffy + light  (Read 1046 times)

Offline ahmad213

• I Love Pizza!
Hi All,

I have been experimenting recently with changing my commercial dough recipe for my takeaway.  Using Pete-ezzas fantastic PJ clone recipe the taste of the crust is amazing.  I am just wanting to tweak the recipe to make the dough more fluffy and light whilst maintaing the excellent taste characteristics of the dough. I have tried to increase the hydration to 62% which helped slightly.  I want the same taste but with a more lighter, risen and fluffier texture?  Any ideas guys would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the recipe extrapolated to allow the dough to be made per litre of water (courtesy of Pete-zza);

Flour (100%) - 1769.92 g  |  62.43 oz | 3.9 lbs
Water (56.5%) - 1000.00 g  |  35.27 oz | 2.2 lbs
IDY (0.28%) - 4.96 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.65 tsp | 0.55 tbsp
Salt (1.75%) - 30.97 g | 1.09 oz | 0.07 lbs | 5.55 tsp | 1.85 tbsp
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (7.3%) - 129.2 g | 4.56 oz | 0.28 lbs | 9.48 tbsp | 0.59 cups
Sugar (4.2%) - 74.34 g | 2.62 oz | 0.16 lbs | 6.22 tbsp | 0.39 cups

Many thanks

Mo

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Great Recipe and Fantastic Taste - just need it to be more fluffy + light
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »
MO;
Two options come to mind, you have room to increase the IDY slightly. You can take it up to 0.375% and still be within the normal yeast range. This will provide additional leavening to the dough for a lighter, less dense finished crust. If your dough management procedure allows, you could also increase the finished dough temperature by a few degrees to speed up the rate of fermentation, thus providing for a lighter finished crust texture, or you could just allow the dough skin to proof/rise (maybe 10 or 15-minutes) between shaping and dressing/baking. This is how we impart the characteristic lightness to bread and rolls.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline ahmad213

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:59:18 AM »
Hi,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.  The dough is cold fermented for minimum of 24hrs and not used after 48hrs.  For this reason I slightly increased the yeast percentage already. 

'allow the dough skin to proof/rise (maybe 10 or 15-minutes) between shaping and dressing/baking'

I shape the dough into the pizza plates and place a lid on them.  They then allowed to ferment for an 2 hours before being placed  to ferment overnight in the cooler.  The next day they are then taken from the cooler and used straight away for cooking as orders are made.  Is that a correct procedure? How would I fit in your idea in the procedure?

How about lower the amount of vegetable oil? Would that significantly reduce the taste of the crust and provide any benefit to the desired fluffiness?

Many thanks

Mo

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »
I think you would see a marked improvement if you allowed the dough to come up to room temperature before baking.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
It it is not already evident, I think it is important to bear in mind that the pizzas are to be baked in pans, as are currently being used to make pan style pizzas, not on screens or perforated disks for which the dough formulation was created. The pizzas are currently being baked in a conveyor oven.

Peter

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 10:21:05 AM »
MO;
You are not locked into using any specific absorption so I might suggest just a further increase in dough absorption. This will provide a softer dough that will rise more readily (oven spring) during baking to provide for a lighter textured crust.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor