Author Topic: Sicilian Sficione Pizza with red onions and breadcrumbs  (Read 1179 times)

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

• I feel a carb-coma onsetting.
Sicilian Sficione Pizza with red onions and breadcrumbs
« on: September 17, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »
This is delicious. I used tomato sauce I made from juliet and cherokee purple tomatoes. I feel a carb coma coming on.   :chef:

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Sicilian Sficione Pizza with red onions and breadcrumbs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »
I feel a carb coma coming on.   

I would too. Nice crumb, and it looks like you got some good color on the bottom.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »
Thanks man. I completely forgot to take a picture of the bottom. I will have to do that. I used the baking steel with the pan because the recipe called for putting the pan on a stone. Seems to have worked out. I fermented it for one day. Another thing I noticed is that when I made more breadcrumbs the second time I used less olive oil and parmesan. That's why some of the bread crumbs are charred, I found.

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »
I used a lot of oil on the bottom per my usual.  I probably....should have just used a stone instead of the steel. Just a second thought. This one is pretty crunchy, but believe it or not the middle is black.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »
Nice job. Any semolina in that dough? If so, how much?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:19:19 PM »
I didn't use any. I have some, but I haven't been able to make a pizza so tough with semolina. Would you say semolina is used much of the time in this kind of pizza?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »
I didn't use any. I have some, but I haven't been able to make a pizza so tough with semolina. Would you say semolina is used much of the time in this kind of pizza?

Joe,

Your Sfincione looks good.

This is the explanation Jose L. Piedra gave me to what a Sfincione is.  Jose said there is traditionally made with semolina at Reply 283 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg125039.html#msg125039  I was on a journey in that thread I think to make more of a Sicilian pizza, because I even started out with Panko Japanese bread flakes instead of breadcrumbs. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.0.html I did use some semolina in that thread, but used the wrong kind.  My thread on making Sfincione really was not accurate.  :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaAlaJoey

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »
Wow that was informative. I'm thinking since my kneading and dough making skills has vastly improved, using semolina won't be completely inedible this time. I'm wondering if I had some in Italy when I went that used semolina in it. I did notice that some of the square slices were like rock solid and yeasty as can be.  This makes it sound like using semolina it's still supposed to be soft. Interesting.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 02:19:45 PM »
Joe,

If you look at some of Johnny the Gent's threads and posts under the Sicilian board, you will see he does use semolina as some of the flour blend, like the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27570.0.html  I can't find that kind of semolina near where I live though.  You can see how light and airy his crumb was.  John does make different Sicilian pizzas with semolina, but its the semola rimacinata kind.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 02:41:06 PM »

Joe, I asked because it looked like the crumb had a yellowish tint to it. I've seen a couple of "authentic" sfincione recipes, and neither called for semolina.  Having said that, I'm sure there are plenty of local (or not so local) variations.  My friend who provided me with the recipe is from Palermo - where sfincione IS the traditional pizza.
Il miglior fabbro