Author Topic: how did you start your starter? by culture? family hand-me-down? post below!  (Read 497 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
seems that nearly anything can be used to make starter around here, i know i've made them several ways, but always the homestyle way with common ingredients.  these are some of my results

fresh squeezed lemon and orange juice, pinch of sugar, high gluten flour

corn mush, oats, LJ, pinch of sugar, HG

oats, raisins, pinch of sugar, HG

raisins, LJ, HG

wild concord grapes, HG

a few grains of yeast, HG, LJ

i've had luck with all of these. some take a few hours to kickstart, some take a week if not more.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline nickr

• I Love Pizza!
50 grams whole wheat flour
50 grams water

Covered it with Saran wrap and put in a warm part of the kitchen for 48 hours. After some activity, I began regular feeding at 12 hour intervals dumping half each time. Once fully established (6 days) I slowly weened it off whole wheat to 100% All Purpose.

For the Ischia I simply followed the included instructions.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
I have done almost countless starters over the years using just about every know ingredient.  When we lived in Sonoma County CA I did too many to remember with different kinds of grapes.  We have moved around the country/world so much over the past 40 years most bit the dust and a new one started.  Currently I am going on one that is about 6 years old that we use for our some of our artisan and sourdough breads.   It is just flour, water, a bit of malt.    I have gotten it real sour and add a spike of rye flour to it every few recharges.   Walter

Offline dwighttsharpe

Mixed flour and water, and waited.

That's it.
Dwight

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
i'll add that i have very hard well water where i live. right now it's around 8.6pH, during the summer it seems to run about 8.2-8.4. this is why i add acid (lemon or orange) to my starters, it seems to stabilize them from going sour beyond the point of washing when they first start up

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
When I was first learning it all seemed so complicated, so I ordered mine from King Arthur...  now "Mr. Bubbly" is a part of our family... Mr. Bubbly II is a son of Walter's Sourdough Starter.  Bubbly II is stronger both in levening and taste to Bubbly I.

BTW does anyone know why we use AP flour to feed the starter?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:04:02 PM by bigMoose »

Offline dylandylan

I followed the "pineapple juice method" as per this video:
http://www.breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
When I was first learning it all seemed so complicated, so I ordered mine from King Arthur...  now "Mr. Bubbly" is a part of our family... Mr. Bubbly II is a son of Walter's Sourdough Starter.  Bubbly II is stronger both in levening and taste to Bubbly I.

BTW does anyone know why we use AP flour to feed the starter?

i've always used good flour, at least bread flour.

pizzapan