Author Topic: Camping Pizza Making with no cooler  (Read 557 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Camping Pizza Making with no cooler
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:58:30 AM »
What toppings / ingredients can you use on a camping trip that doesn't require any refrigeration or cooler to make pizza?
Bert,

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Camping Pizza Making with no cooler
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »
Bert, camping = coolers ;D .

Well off the top of the ol' head, jerky, apples, dried herbs, hard cheese, dehydrated tomatoes, yuck, or canned should be ok for yer sauce. Please don't say it a back packing camping trip :o >:D :'(

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline gnomad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »
I am not a food safety expert but I have backpacked with both cheese and salami unrefridgerated for several days.   Most peperoni is sold unrefridgerated, so it must be fine for long stints. I would think the acidity in tomato sauce would allow it to be fine for a while (or take the unrefridgerated can).  Most vegies toppings would be fine for several days.  I think the dough would really be the only difficult part.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
Thanks Mark & gnomad, yep. I have zero camping experience. The question came up in a conversation with a friend.

Emergency dough can be made when is needed. Flour should be ok in plastic container. ADY packet should be ok too. Right?

Bert,

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »
MPO;
How long are we talking about holding these toppings before they're used? If we're in the 3 to 5-day range, perhaps a little longer you can dehydrate just about any vegetable toppings you wish and rehydrate them at the time of use. Use a meat topping that is packaged and sold at room temperature, or make your own jerky to rehydrate. As for the dough, simple, put together an emergency dough using IDY and shortening as opposed to oil. Put it all together in a durable plastic bag (I use a 1-gallon Zip-Lok bag) force out as much air as possible for ease of packing and secure with a couple rubber bands. When pizza day arrives, add a prescribed amount of water directly to the bag and knead the mixture to make a sticky sough. Set aside to ferment for an hour or a little more, then remove the dough from the bag by inverting the bag, and using some dusting flour or oil on your hands, knead the dough for a minute or so, then form onto a piece of oiled heavy duty aluminum foil. Set aside to proof/rise for 10 to 60-minutes while you're dressing the dough, then carefully transfer to a bed of hot coals to bake until the bottom begins to brown, using another piece of lighter weight foil, tent the top of the pizza to get some top heat and bake until it is reasonably done. Remember, this is a backwoods pizza, anyone not inclined to like it is free to go to Pizza Hut, or order one from Domino's! LOL.
I've made pizza like this a number of times with the scouts.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »
Thanks Tom, great feedback.

I am not a camper, but I have a friend interested in taking MPO to camping. They will be camping for a week.

I think MPO will make the baking part much easier. I working on a simple setup where He can use charcoal to heat up MPO.

Bert,