Author Topic: Any Bosch Universal Plus Suggestions?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
Any Bosch Universal Plus Suggestions?
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:02:15 PM »
Well, I just used my new Bosch Universal for the first time (got it to compliment the new Blackstone Oven).

It certainly seems different from using the stand mixer and dough hook. Kind of fun to watch! :D

I'm wondering if any Bosch users out there have any suggestions on how best to use the machine. I just did a batch of dough with 541 gms of KA PPB Flour (actually 465 PPB and the rest KA Bread flour since I didn't want to open a new bag of PPB) and 351 gms water. I put the dry ingredients in the Bosch bowl (standard one - the SS one is coming later), mixed for a bit on speed one and then added the water. I mixed on 1 until that came together then added the olive oil. I continued mixing on mainly 2, increasing on occasion to 3 and back to 1. The dough was somewhat stickier than what I am used to but the weather may have something to do with that. It is more humid here today in West Texas since we got some rain (praise the Lord).

I added some more bread flour to get the consistency that I like and ended up mixing for about 15 minutes (on and off). At the end the dough seemed to be about the same as I am used to.

Ciao e grazie!

Tony

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Any Bosch Universal Plus Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:43:33 PM »
I have gone through about 1/2 dozen KA pro mixers over the years in my classroom/bakery/pizzeria.  the motors smoked up and fried or the gears stripped. A few years ago I bought a bosch universal plus mixer for doing small test batches on bagel dough.  Bagel dough is tough and kills the KA's in no time.  The bosch never left speed 1.  The only complaints I have on it is it is a pain to clean up and with wet dough, if I remember correct, it would collect around the center and have to be pushed down often.  I haven't used it in years but for home use(I hand knead at home)  it is a winner.   I did small pizza dough batch tests in it as well and it never broke a sweat.   Walter
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:46:32 PM by waltertore »

Offline bradtri

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:28:24 PM »
Hey Tony,
   I've been using my bosch for a couple years now for pizza after frying my KA.  I find that the Bosch likes a little bit larger amount of dough to work with. I've settled on 1425 g flour and 884 g water which makes six doughballs around 390g.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:34:34 PM »
Tony,  Most suggest you add the water first,  and some have reported that it does make a difference.  With small amounts, and high hydration, you can have a problem with the dough staying in one place and not being kneaded as Walter says.  Increasing the amount of dough, decreasing the hydration ( then adding extra water once it is thoroughly knead) or refrigerating the dough for a few minutes when it gets too slack, are possible options to address that problem. 

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:42:43 PM »
I have gone through about 1/2 dozen KA pro mixers over the years in my classroom/bakery/pizzeria.  the motors smoked up and fried or the gears stripped. A few years ago I bought a bosch universal plus mixer for doing small test batches on bagel dough.  Bagel dough is tough and kills the KA's in no time.  The bosch never left speed 1.  The only complaints I have on it is it is a pain to clean up and with wet dough, if I remember correct, it would collect around the center and have to be pushed down often.  I haven't used it in years but for home use(I hand knead at home)  it is a winner.   I did small pizza dough batch tests in it as well and it never broke a sweat.   Walter

Thanks, Walter. I had been looking at the KitchenAid 600 Pro but the comments about the Bosch were so much better as far as dough handling ability. I didn't have much problem with it collecting on the center post, the few times it did I just stopped the machine and waited about a minute. I have the SS bowl coming (Amazon says tomorrow) so I'll see how that works out. Cleaning, for me, wasn't that big a deal. I sprayed the bowl with the sink sprayer and got the dough off that way. I actually then used a bit of soap since my wife scowls at me if I don't. She's a nurse and THEY ALL have OCD. ;D

Ciao!

Tony

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »
Tony,  Most suggest you add the water first,  and some have reported that it does make a difference.  With small amounts, and high hydration, you can have a problem with the dough staying in one place and not being kneaded as Walter says.  Increasing the amount of dough, decreasing the hydration ( then adding extra water once it is thoroughly knead) or refrigerating the dough for a few minutes when it gets too slack, are possible options to address that problem.

Thanks. I'll have to try that. I seem to remember watching a Bosch video where they put the water in first. I figured I'd try it first with my usual methodology. Most of the time the dough did seem to move nicely but when the hydration was high it did show the phenomenon that you mention. I'm looking forward to seeing what difference, if any, the SS bowl with the dough hooks on the bottom makes.

Ciao,

Tony

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »
AtaI have one love it doesnot getmuch use these days  :( but I did 2000G batches of flour no prob yields about 12 doughballs  There are some great threads on that mixer just do a search youll be reading for a week !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »
AtaI have one love it doesnot getmuch use these days  :( but I did 2000G batches of flour no prob yields about 12 doughballs  There are some great threads on that mixer just do a search youll be reading for a week !
John

Thanks, John. I usually don't do that much dough but wanted to have something that could. From the reviews on Amazon, the Bosch can but the KitchenAid 600 Pro seems to quickly wear out.

Ciao,

Tony

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
After using my wife's old K5SS stand mixer for a little while now, I read all the stories about KA stand mixers dieing, so I took the plunge this morning and got my own Bosch Universal Plus from Ebay, $300 new w/shipping.   Hopefully, it fills my needs and holds up.  I just didn't want to trash my wife's old KA mixer, since I gave it to her for a Xmas gift many moons ago.  She gets a bit salty about me breaking her stuff.  :o

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »
Is there any advantage to the stainless steel bowl? ???

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »
Is there any advantage to the stainless steel bowl? ???

I haven't received mine yet but the info I saw on it indicated that it did a better job with lower amounts of dough since the hooks were at the bottom, and that it was easier to get the dough out without the center post. We'll see -- it should be here by the middle of next week.

I've been wondering if the cookie paddles can handle a "no knead" bread dough? Anyone know?

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 05:13:47 PM »
I see that there is at least two basic stainless steel bowls available from Bosch.  The MUZ6ER1 and MUZ6ER2. 

The MUZ6ER1 appears to be a dedicated dough bowl with the bottom mounted dough hook.  But in some online ad, I saw it referred to fitting only the earlier Bosch Universal Mixer.

The MUZ6ER2 is definitely advertised for the Universal Plus Mixer. 

Can you clear up any of this?

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 05:41:26 PM »
This website says it (MUZ6ER1) fits both the original Universal and the Plus mixer. ???
http://www.lequip.com/product.php?prod_id=118&title=Universal Stainless Steel Bowl BOSCH

Offline dsissitka

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 09:46:03 PM »
Re using the MUZ6ER1 with the Universal Plus, see http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bumpers_on_u-plus.aspx.

I have the MUZ6ER2. Compared to the stock bowl:

1. It requires a little more effort to clean because:
  - Dough gets caught in the seam where the plastic and steel meet.
  - It's harder on towels. If you use a cheap towel it'll leave some lint behind.
 2. It's slower to generate heat. It's been my experience that the steel bowl catches up to the plastic bowl at about the 20 minute mark but for mixes less than 15 minutes the steel bowl produces dough that's 2 to 3 degrees cooler. Your mileage may vary.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:52:12 PM by dsissitka »

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 01:38:39 PM »
bbqchuck,
  I have a universal plus Bosch.  It has been in use for three years making large batches of pizza dough. Each batch fills the whole bowl.  The dough bowl works the best, it fits the universal and the universal plus.  To make small batches of dough, I use the universal slicer shredder bowl with the small plastic dough paddle, which is a extra order item.  It works really well.  Bosch model MUZ6TS5 shredder. All my Bosch stuff comes from For Your Kitchen in Utah...

Bosch does not recommend using cookie paddles for anything but cookies, it isn't strong enough or built right for heavy dough.

The slicer shredder does an good job of shredding cheese. :chef:

Ed   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:57:43 PM by PizzaProbie »

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 02:12:40 PM »
bbqchuck,
  I have a universal plus Bosch.  It has been in use for three years making large batches of pizza dough. Each batch fills the whole bowl.  The dough bowl works the best, it fits the universal and the universal plus.  To make small batches of dough, I use the universal slicer shredder bowl with the small plastic dough paddle, which is a extra order item.  It works really well.  Bosch model MUZ6TS5 shredder. All my Bosch stuff comes from For Your Kitchen in Utah...

Bosch does not recommend using cookie paddles for anything but cookies, it isn't strong enough or built right for heavy dough.

The slicer shredder does an good job of shredding cheese. :chef:

Ed

Hi,

I just received my Bosch Universal Plus a few days ago and have the SS bowl coming next week. I was wondering about the slicer/shredder bowl for smaller batches but the two batches, about 650 grams and 1000 grams, that I made seemed to do fine in the standard bowl. What amount would you consider "small batches"?

Thanks,

Tony

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »
Tony
Our small batches are 300 grams more or less.
We have done 2500+ grams of flour in the dough bowl with the hook on the bottom..We start with water first...Never a problem with the Bosch..
Today we've made enough dough for 38 individual pizzas using 2 dough bowls to keep things moving quickly...
  For Your Kitchen in Utah has great prices and service. The Bosch supply center for western US is near them..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:50:04 PM by PizzaProbie »

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »
Tony
Our small batches are 300 grams more or less.
We have done 2500+ grams of flour in the dough bowl with the hook on the bottom..We start with water first...Never a problem with the Bosch..
Today we've made enough dough for 38 individual pizzas using 2 dough bowls to keep things moving quickly...
  For Your Kitchen in Utah has great prices and service. The Bosch supply center for western US is near them..

Thanks. 38 pizze!! Wow!  :chef: I'll probably never use mine for over about 1500 grams total weight.

So, I would guess that your small batch is for one 10 or 11 inch pizza or several smaller ones?

Offline PizzaProbie

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
Tony
Yep just for a couple or more small pizzas. We do our big bakes in a wfo  44" from forna bravo....Small number in a Blackstone... :chef:
Ed

Offline atalbert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »
Tony
Yep just for a couple or more small pizzas. We do our big bakes in a wfo  44" from forna bravo....Small number in a Blackstone... :chef:
Ed

Thanks, Ed

Have a good (pizza eating) weekend!  :D

Tony