Author Topic: GM Neapolitan Recipe - Has anyone tried their recommendation?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
GM Neapolitan Recipe - Has anyone tried their recommendation?
« on: September 19, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »
Has anyone tried the recipe that is recommended by GM for their Nepolitan Hearth Flour?

Interesting that it is a cold fermented neapolitan and the salt is at 2.25% (both seem to be unusual based on my readings here).

Neapolitan-Style Pizza Dough

Gold Medal Neapolitan Flour
100.00%
Water*
60.00%
Salt (Sea Salt, Fine grind)
2.25%
Instant Yeast
0.25%

Procedure:
Place water into mixer bowl along with the salt and mix with dough hook for 2 minutes on low speed or until dissolved.
Add flour and yeast, then mix on low speed for 2 minutes.  Check bowl characteristics**.
Continue mixing for 8 minutes on low speed.
Remove dough from bowl and allow to rest for 15 - 30 minutes (keep dough covered to prevent drying).
Divide and round dough into desired portions.   
Place dough balls into tote or on sheet pans lightly coated with vegetable oil or flour.  Cover dough balls and refrigerate.
Remove dough from refrigerator and allow dough to warm to room temperature for approximately 60-90 minutes or until 60F minimum.
*Temper water to achieve a finished dough temperature of 78-82F.
** Bowl Characteristics:  At about 2 minutes the dough should be releasing from the sides of the bowl but still be sticking to the bottom. If it is too wet and sticking to the bottom, add a little more flour. If the dough is too dry and clinging only to the hook, add more water.

Offline theppgcowboy

Re: GM Neapolitan Recipe - Has anyone tried their recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
I think to answer the question, we all live at mostly different altitudes temps and climate areas and their recipe is a starting point.  So most people would look at it and adjust immediately.  I did.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:49:54 AM by theppgcowboy »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »
I followed the recipe / workflow last weekend.  I refrigerated for 2 nights.  The really big variance was in warm up time.  The dough looked like it would be doomed if I only warmed it up for an hour or so from the fridge.  In surfing / searching these forums, I came across more than one reccomendation of about a 6 hour warmup when using Caputo 00. 

So, I warmed it up for about 5 1/2 - 6 hours and the dough looked much better and ready to go.

The pies came out quite good and I would definitely consider this again.  In terms of "what's different", the rim was fluffier than usual with a more of an eggshell crust - all good.  No complaints, but I will continue to keep playing around with different approaches (and I usually use Ischia).

Offline CJ

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »

my first go with the GM00
some of out ranch Berkshire Bacon, Onion and Mushroom.

Offline CJ

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »
Peperoni.
I have to get used to it but the wedding party liked it.
It was a 24hr Bulk at 65
but it was going to fast. I had to ball it and cool it for 12hr in fridge
6hr at room temp before cook.
Wood oven 800 floor.

pizzapan