Author Topic: Spiral Hook for KitchenAid K5SS  (Read 1312 times)

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
Spiral Hook for KitchenAid K5SS
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:15:50 PM »
I had been looking for a spiral hook for my wife's old KitchenAid K5SS but KA's website didn't list one.  I poked around on the net a bit and found one for another later model 5 qt KA stand mixer and rolled the dice. 

It fits like a glove.    I'll have to give it a try this weekend.

The chart says it doesn't fit. Possibly it's tighter to the bowl than ideal? 

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:30:18 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline Mario D

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Spiral Hook for KitchenAid K5SS
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:59:13 PM »
I love mine and it does a great job. check out my video
<a href="http://youtu.be/F2CZ_SfpU8c" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/F2CZ_SfpU8c</a>

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »
I don't think it's the actual fit that's the problem, it's the bearing inside the machine.  Machines with a spiral hook need a thrust bearing to handle the upward force it creates .  The old c hook machines don't have one.
-Jeff

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 06:47:33 AM »
After looking at all the parts diagrams for the models with spiral hook applications vs mine, it appears they all have flat washer thrust bearings. ???

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »
I can't speak to the K-5A mixer specifically, but when Hobart first came out with the new spiral hook design back in the late 1960's it was retrofittable to all of their mixers at the time.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
Tom, et al,
I found an old 2007 thread discussing the ins and outs of spiral hooks on KA stand mixers.  It appears that the output shaft bushing being cylindrical instead of flanged allows it to migrate upward when heavy thrust loads are applied with the spiral hook. 

This thread   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5347.20.html   discusses some possible ways to address the migration of the bushing. 

I started reading all the failed KA stand mixer stories and decided it would be in my best interest if I stopped using my wife's 20 yr old KA stand mixer before I broke it.   :angel: :-D  She even alluded to me buying a Pro KA stand mixer.  After looking into that, I see that they have a higher than pallable failure rate when bread/pizza dough is run thru them on a regular basis.

After reading all the good things about dough quality and great function of the Bosch, I ordered a Bosch Universal Plus this morning.  I'll give my wife the spiral hook in case she wants to try it for her cookie dough mixing.   Any reason to get the stainless steel bowl for the Bosch?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »
I'll give my wife the spiral hook in case she wants to try it for her cookie dough mixing.

Why would you use a spiral hook for cookies? Isn't that going to work to accomplish exactly what you want to avoid when mixing cookie dough - excessive gluten development?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 06:59:05 PM »
 ??? Craig,
I'm not a baker, so I wouldn't know.  I just figure I'll abandon the idea of using her stand mixer.  No sense breaking her toys, nothing good can come from that.   :-D

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
While on the topic of K5-A mixers, keep an eye out for the Hobart industrial version of this mixer, model designation N-50. This is a three speed mixer that was developed fir industrial applications.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »
Tom,
Yes, thanks for that recommendation.  I did look into that N-50 mixer.  $2200 ish new, $400-900 used (depending on condition, age, etc.)  But after all the good reviews of the Bosch Universal (Plus), and the cost/frequency of use weighing, I opted to go with a Bosch Universal Plus.  Hopefully, I made a good choice.   ???

On the otherhand, I did use the spiral hook with my wife's K5, this weekend for a couple batches of small, single pie doughs (7oz flour).  It worked well for that and didn't seem to pound the thrust bearing at all.  It did a good job of mixing that quantity, better than the C hook.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:56:12 AM by bbqchuck »